ITU/City Road Closures

southy
Lord of the Board

ITU/City Road Closures

Post by southy »

I find it interesting that there has been little said about the problems both businesses and residents are encountering due to ITU closures. Caught a news story on Global last night where the voice of city hall Mr. Weeber said that perhaps the city could have done a better job communicating. Ya think. I mean the powers that be and the organizers knew of the closures many months ago but somehow it really wasn't an issue to communicate said closures to downtown businesses or residents. I know - they did held information meetings .. that's nice but for an event of this magnitude there really should have been more emphasis on direct communication with the downtown. Was the DPA kept in the loop? Wouldn't it have made sense to inform them first so they could do the legwork and assist in the communication? The city would appear to be involved with the DPA more than most would like yet they didn't bother getting into the what ifs with them. What's that about. Where was Mayor Jak and the rest of his ilk on this one? Not a peep. Don't get me wrong. I think the event is great for Penticton the part I have trouble with is the lack of communication with not only this event but other happenings at city hall. I was in line at a local fast food place yesterday and two gentlemen obviously not from Penticton were discussing how bad it must be for the local downtown merchants with the road closures and how they didn't even bother to attempt to go downtown with the closures. Great PR.
ToddT
Übergod

Re: ITU/City Road Closures

Post by ToddT »

So I really don't care about this event at all, let's make that clear. I found the public knowledge concerning the road closures very tactful and the city even made it painfully obvious. I was aware days and even weeks before the event, and I didn't even try to be aware.

The other day I had to get to Isshin for some pho, and knowing there were road closures, I checked what was closed and made an alternate route. To my surprise, the race was done early and the roads were open anyways.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:I find it interesting that there has been little said about the problems both businesses and residents are encountering due to ITU closures. Caught a news story on Global last night where the voice of city hall Mr. Weeber said that perhaps the city could have done a better job communicating. Ya think. I mean the powers that be and the organizers knew of the closures many months ago but somehow it really wasn't an issue to communicate said closures to downtown businesses or residents. I know - they did held information meetings .. that's nice but for an event of this magnitude there really should have been more emphasis on direct communication with the downtown. Was the DPA kept in the loop? Wouldn't it have made sense to inform them first so they could do the legwork and assist in the communication? The city would appear to be involved with the DPA more than most would like yet they didn't bother getting into the what ifs with them. What's that about. Where was Mayor Jak and the rest of his ilk on this one? Not a peep. Don't get me wrong. I think the event is great for Penticton the part I have trouble with is the lack of communication with not only this event but other happenings at city hall. I was in line at a local fast food place yesterday and two gentlemen obviously not from Penticton were discussing how bad it must be for the local downtown merchants with the road closures and how they didn't even bother to attempt to go downtown with the closures. Great PR.

Southy, what are you suggesting? That the City hire a full time Communications person who might actually Communicate ?
Hey, wait a minute.....come to think of it. [icon_lol2.gif]
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I was OK with Ironman and the temp inconvenience for the benefit. I am however becoming sick to death of so many weekends of road closures and the prelude of road rats training two or three abreast on any road they want for a week in advance of the race day. Enuff already. As well, I have to seriously question the net benefit to the whole City for this last event. Just read that the 8k dollar winner in yesterdays race came by himself and is was here for 2 days. Bet he spent a ton on food and accomodation. We probably collectively spent more in fuel and time avoiding the race than his 8 k prize never mind what merchants lost.
Did anyone see the streets lined with supporters filling restaurants and hotels?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I'm finding the amount of road closures most annoying. I was fine with one day for Challenge or Ironman but this is getting ridiculous. Tomorrow I have to get to some business locations that are well inside the road closures and no idea how I am going to do so.

Maybe I will park my Delivery Van and carry the supplies on my back. I guess the businesses involved will just have to wait. Frustrating to say the least.

Also, Challenge and Ironman were always on a Sunday only; not a weekday/business day.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Not to worry next year, the multisport championship is in Denmark. Just one day closures for Grand Fondo, peach classic, Challenge, peach parade, car shows.....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

seewood wrote:Not to worry next year, the multisport championship is in Denmark. Just one day closures for Grand Fondo, peach classic, Challenge, peach parade, car shows.....

Now that is good news! One day closures on weekends, not a problem.
agard1

Post by agard1 »

This years' ITU has seen some hiccups with road closures, increased bike traffic on hwy and roads for sure; however I believe that there have been way more positives then negatives. I have encountered many families who are here to cheer on athletes and they have been here for longer lengths of time then I recall with Ironman participants in the latter years. This translates into dining out, visiting attractions etc. The other thing I have noticed while walking and getting about town is that these athletes and their families are super friendly, sharing comments about their stay in Penticton and area, telling about where they come from. The international scope and flavor also has huge ramifications for future tourism. Ironman tended to be predominately Americans, Western Canadians, whereas I have met Mexicans, Brazilians, Japanese and many from European countries. The Challenge has been building its' presence in Penticton and now with the ITU exposure I believe that it will become as successful as the Ironman, who many posters seem to recall fondly as to adding so much to our community in terms of exposure, tourism and enjoyment for the citizens of our community.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

I find it comical that many of the same people complaining about the city not doing enough to promote itself complain when the city actually does something to promote itself. The small picture is that some businesses in town have been effected for a few days and that we are faced with a few road closures. It may hurt those businesses short term but the benefit long term is huge.

The athletes are estimated to spend $8.6 million in the local economy while they are here. Even if all 3500 participants did not bring anyone, the immediate economic benefit is huge. But this is also the small picture.

I'll really round down as the number is probably quite a bit larger, but let's assume that including friends and family there are 5000 adults and teens that ITU brought to Penticton. The social media presence of these people will be massive. 100's of thousands of people will see pictures of the event and Penticton posted to facebook, twitter and other platforms. You can not buy advertising like this.

The events that caused road closures 20 years ago provided very little advertising for Penticton and the benefit beyond the event itself was minor. The current road closures may be a minor inconvenience but the benefit to the region is huge.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Darkre wrote:I find it comical that many of the same people complaining about the city not doing enough to promote itself complain when the city actually does something to promote itself. The small picture is that some businesses in town have been effected for a few days and that we are faced with a few road closures. It may hurt those businesses short term but the benefit long term is huge.

The athletes are estimated to spend $8.6 million in the local economy while they are here. Even if all 3500 participants did not bring anyone, the immediate economic benefit is huge. But this is also the small picture.

I'll really round down as the number is probably quite a bit larger, but let's assume that including friends and family there are 5000 adults and teens that ITU brought to Penticton. The social media presence of these people will be massive. 100's of thousands of people will see pictures of the event and Penticton posted to facebook, twitter and other platforms. You can not buy advertising like this.

The events that caused road closures 20 years ago provided very little advertising for Penticton and the benefit beyond the event itself was minor. The current road closures may be a minor inconvenience but the benefit to the region is huge.

Comical??? Really???? Darkre - no one is disputing the fact that this event is a great marketing push for Penticton. However I do believe the part you are missing is that the ball has been dropped once again on the communication factor. This is an on going issue in Penticton and I do understand the frustration from the local business sector. Here is an article which quotes CAO Peter Weeber the new voice for the City of Penticton. http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/4414650 ... obile=true

I find it really interesting that he bounces the communication issue over to the Downtown Penticton Association. Talking to some downtown merchants - the DPA basically told merchants to contact city hall if they have any questions. So here it is again and again and again. The ITU event is a great event and great event for Penticton this is not the issue the issue plain and simple is lack of strategized communication with those businesses that would be most affected. In my opinion I find Mr. Weeber's comment "we'll do better next time" nothing more than something a teenager might say to their parents after doing something wrong ..."I'll try better next time" ... an easy out. Someone please correct me but does the City no longer have a communications person????
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote: In my opinion I find Mr. Weeber's comment "we'll do better next time" nothing more than something a teenager might say to their parents after doing something wrong ..."I'll try better next time" ... an easy out. Someone please correct me but does the City no longer have a communications person????

They used, I believe. Now they hired a full time "Engagement" person, whatever the heck that is. Since the city streets are city owned (funded by taxpayers of course), any changes/closures should be the responsibility of the city. The CAO seems to be a master of excuses/passing the buck.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

southy wrote:Comical??? Really???? Darkre - no one is disputing the fact that this event is a great marketing push for Penticton. However I do believe the part you are missing is that the ball has been dropped once again on the communication factor. This is an on going issue in Penticton and I do understand the frustration from the local business sector. Here is an article which quotes CAO Peter Weeber the new voice for the City of Penticton. http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/4414650 ... obile=true

I find it really interesting that he bounces the communication issue over to the Downtown Penticton Association. Talking to some downtown merchants - the DPA basically told merchants to contact city hall if they have any questions. So here it is again and again and again. The ITU event is a great event and great event for Penticton this is not the issue the issue plain and simple is lack of strategized communication with those businesses that would be most affected. In my opinion I find Mr. Weeber's comment "we'll do better next time" nothing more than something a teenager might say to their parents after doing something wrong ..."I'll try better next time" ... an easy out. Someone please correct me but does the City no longer have a communications person????

I was speaking to the complaints about the road closures themselves.

However your response is magnified by your hate for city hall. Try to take a more objective look

- We've known about this event for years
- The route information has been publicly available since early in the year
- The route information has been posted on the ITU and City of Penticton websites
- The route information was in the local papers
- They held information meetings for businesses and the public
- ITU contacted the effected businesses directly
- Any businesses that contacted the DPA were told to contact the city

The information was out there and easily accessible for anyone that cared to look. In this case, the effected businesses were contacted directly about the closures as they should have been. How much more is needed? Should the city create a position to hold everyone's hand? Could the have done more? Sure, but as Weber said "It doesn't matter how much messaging — I could paint this in the clouds and 25 per cent of the people wouldn't see it".

You see this time and time again on these forums and in this town. Just because people were unaware of a project or event does not mean that the information was not made available. At some point the people in this town need to start taking responsibility for their own lack of knowledge. The only legitimate complaint I could see was a closure lasting longer than expected but we don't actually know if this was a communication error on the part of ITU or if the businesses effected missed an update.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

the net benefit is greater than the net negative effect
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

gman313 wrote:the net benefit is greater than the net negative effect

Yes, but only if you are not a business that suffered a negative impact from the event. Think about everyone; not just those who might benefit from the event.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

pentona wrote:
Yes, but only if you are not a business that suffered a negative impact from the event. Think about everyone; not just those who might benefit from the event.

Completely agree. Overall though net benefit is greater than net negative effect. There will always be losers in the equation. Maybe there could be some creativity - offer a special right after the race at the wineries once they can re-open to make up for it. participate somehow.

I know it is a fine line between number of events

Penticton area is one of the nicest places in the country and it is only going to get busier so we must find a way to accommodate all

Return to “South Okanagan”