Penticton Pool

Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Penticton Pool

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

I have had issues with the Penticton Pool before. My query this year to be honest is the same as last year:

Why does the pool close for 3 weeks a year for maintenance? This is a brand new pool in a brand new facility. Other community centres don't do this I think for as long as Penticton does.

Considering that this is a brand new building it already had operating cost issues to replace part of the new pool deck because of defective tiles. Then it was closed for months because of a crack in the pipes or something. Now this?

I don't know much about structures but it seems kinda odd? I would maybe understand it if it had to be about cost savings and the whole facility were shut down, but not just the pool. What happens to the people who work at this pool in terms of salaries?
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Pool

Post by southy »

This should give you some background as to the whys and if you are really curious about salaried employees call city hall.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... e-drags-on
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Your link from 2015 was appreciated, but didn't answer my question really. It says nothing about salaries nor the
Closure since 2015, which there have been 2 since both lasting 3 weeks at a time?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Your link from 2015 was appreciated, but didn't answer my question really. It says nothing about salaries nor the
Closure since 2015, which there have been 2 since both lasting 3 weeks at a time?

Call City Hall - easy enough to do. Regional District should have an answer for you as well since you live out of town. Maybe contact the city employees union they could tell you if there is an issue with said employees.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

This is quite a common practice actually. Summerland closes their pool for a similar length of time. Aug.26-Sept.10 The pools in Kelowna are closed as well. Parkinsons from Aug.28-Sept.16. YMCA Aug.26-Sep.4 H2O has rotating closures.

The yearly closures allow for regular required maintenance and cleaning. It also allows time to complete proper repairs or replacement of equipment that were put off until the shutdown to avoid unplanned closures. Pools use a lot of corrosive chemicals and require a lot of maintenance as a result.

As to the employees I would imagine many are getting their hours cleaning and painting or helping with equipment maintenance and repair.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Summerland pool is pretty old, as is Parkinson.

I used to live in Penticton so I've been using that facility for many years. Plus there is no pool here, and the Oliver pool is open only in the summer.

I do a lot of work in Pen, and just spend a ton of time in Pen in general.

It really does seem like an excessive amount if time (3 weeks every single year, even with a brand new pool)?

I believe what you're telling me, but holy crap it seems really strange that this much maintenance would be required that only has 1 community pool to begin with.

I also can't imagine that a lifeguard or a fitness instructor isn't well used in regards to skill level then to be doing this? I dunno?
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

You can't look at a pool, or most recreation facilities for that matter, the same way you look at buildings in general. Age means very little when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

You need to look at them more like a vehicle. After a certain amount of mileage you need to do the scheduled maintenance. Whether the car is brand new or 40 years old it's recommended you do an oil change every 5000K. You can choose not to but it will just lead to further issues down the road.

As to the length of the closure, they could probably get it done faster. They could bring in more people or pay overtime but late august is probably the quietest time for pool use in the okanagan, the lake is warm and the sun is usually shining. The 3 weeks probably allows a small buffer in case they find repairs are more serious then first imagined.

I'd love it if Penticton had an outdoor pool though. Maybe near the water with some green space around it. Maybe they could put it in one of the parks, even add some waterslides for the kids to enjoy :biggrin:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Pools are closed around the province, or the ones I have swam at including the Commonwealth pool in Victoria, at that time of year. Pool tiles are scrubbed and checked for integrity, paint that is required, mechanical maintenance etc. Much can be done with the pool staff I believe, non technical stuff anyway. Some are two weeks and some were 3.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

You could always check with some of the local hotels and ask if you could use their pool. We used to do that because we liked the more quiet space.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Are you suggesting there is something underhanded going on? Why complain? Be glad they clean it once a year lol.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

I am complaining but only small "c" complaining. But seriously, that community centre was shut down the year the built that pool, then the year it opened it was closed for many weeks (like a month) to fix brand new tiles, then it was closed for another month because the pipes or something was leaking.

The following year it was closed 3 weeks for maintenance, but before that the leisure pool was closed for a week or so because again they had a leak somewhere. Then the hot tub was closed for something for a week.

Then the year after that, it was a 3 week closure.

So, ya...I think I get to ask about that. My property taxes paid for many years helped build that pool. My kids took years of swimming lessons there, and I swam pretty much 4 times a week there. I was a regular user of that pool and I need it actually. I have a disability and so does my daughter, swimming is the one activity we can do safely and the lake isn't the easiest for us given the nature of my daughter's disability in general.

But really, I'm not so much "mad" as irritated, it feels like a brand new facility that has had a whole lot of things go wrong with it within a few short years of operating.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

If you are irritated why vent and seek answers here? Go to the source - you might get the answer you want.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

You've really answered your own question multiple times. You ask why is it shut down so much, then list numerous reasons why it was shut down lol. Maybe now they do the 3 weeks of maintenance every year so they don't have other issues throughout the year.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Honestly, not to be obtuse, I was hoping that a 2 second post on my part would spark someone who works for the town to post anonymously if there is a plan to sue the builders, or did they get some kind of settlement for what has to be a build fraught with problems?

If I were to call city hall, who would I even talk to?

If I called city hall, they would tell me what I already know, which is that it was closed because of problems associated with a shoddy build or design.

If I called city hall would the person who might have insight into the build also be the same person who would know what happens to the staff in terms of salary and job during closures?

What I was hoping by this post is that someone who knows what is going on with this project could tell me if anyone has become accountable, or does the city just have to eat-it?

Sure, I was being lazy in that I did want to complain, but I didn't want to sit on hold while I called the city, likely would sit on hold, then would likely have to wait to have someone call me back, then it would likely be a few different employees to get Fthe 2 kinds in information I was really more curious and irritated by than "outraged".

So, ya...I was hoping to get a quick easy answer from someone on the DL.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hummm ... a lot of assumptions. Try it - you have nothing to lose. But then again something tells me you might just be fishing for something more and the question to that would be .... WHY?

Click on this link to get you to the person who actually might be able to help you and they can't ask them for the person and extension - pretty simple: http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/communi ... entre.html

Return to “South Okanagan”