The Stickle Pickle

Home of the traffic rant.
puttrench

The Stickle Pickle

Post by puttrench »

This subject is probably considered dead and as far as the politicians are concerned it is. As usual, they don't listen to the public; they ask our opinion and then go ahead and do what they want. I'm very disappointed and disgusted that they are still going to ruin the wetland behind Rona on 20th St. They seem to think they can replace it or fix it. Can't be done. Once it's gone, it's gone. And, it's not like they don't have other options. I just wonder who is benefiting financially? :-X
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: The Stickle Pickle

Post by Fancy »

Wasn't sure what you are talking about but I assume it's this?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/20 ... -continues
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
puttrench

Post by puttrench »

I am aware of that and as you can see, no one has posted since Nov. 2016.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

puttrench wrote:I am aware of that and as you can see, no one has posted since Nov. 2016.

Probably because most people don't care.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

puttrench wrote:I am aware of that and as you can see, no one has posted since Nov. 2016.

impo it's waste of money, just block off the ability to left onto hwy 97. So to go into Vernon just take Pleasant Valley Rd hang a right onto 48th Ave (Butcher Boys).
Absolutely no need to disturb any wetlands at all. Problem is drivers (& MOTI) don't have oz of common sense.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

GordonH wrote:
impo it's waste of money, just block off the ability to left onto hwy 97. So to go into Vernon just take Pleasant Valley Rd hang a right onto 48th Ave (Butcher Boys).
Absolutely no need to disturb any wetlands at all. Problem is drivers (& MOTI) don't have oz of common sense.

100% agree

Put a barrier there to prevent left hand turns.
Seems whenever i see someone come out of there turning left to head south into Vernon they have that throttle pinned praying Hwy traffic will make way for them. Good luck with that plan, between distracted driving and that aggressive Okanagan attitude on the road.
Would be cheaper fix
puttrench

Post by puttrench »

I don't think people who live on PVR would be very happy about increased traffic between Stickle and 48th. No one pays attention to the speed limit now! Can you imagine what it would be like if that was the main route into town? plus, it's quite narrow. Why won't they put in a round about? They work very well in other cities/countries. I've personally seen how well they work in Europe. Slows traffic down and lets people enter and leave the Silver Star campground safely, as well as the vehicle dealers, garden center and Squires Four. I still wonder who is gaining monetary benefit by going through the wetland; that is a bad decision and, the next generation is going to call us on it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

puttrench wrote:I don't think people who live on PVR would be very happy about increased traffic between Stickle and 48th. No one pays attention to the speed limit now! Can you imagine what it would be like if that was the main route into town? plus, it's quite narrow. Why won't they put in a round about? They work very well in other cities/countries. I've personally seen how well they work in Europe. Slows traffic down and lets people enter and leave the Silver Star campground safely, as well as the vehicle dealers, garden center and Squires Four. I still wonder who is gaining monetary benefit by going through the wetland; that is a bad decision and, the next generation is going to call us on it.

Okay, 1 major problem with a-round-about. How to build it to accommodate a b-train (full size) transport truck. Nice try, may need to go back to drawing board.

Added: there would be other issues, I picked 1.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Actually there are lots of roundabouts in the U.K that can accommodate a full size transport truck, so that's not the issue. The problem I see with roundabouts is that most Canadian drivers don't understand how they're supposed to work.

When on the roundabout your supposed to signal when you are about to exit, so that anyone waiting to enter the roundabout knows whether you are going to continue on round, or exit. But often people skip the signal part, and just exit. Which means, if your the one waiting to enter the roundabout, you miss your chance because by the time you realize the one car is about to exit, it's too late to enter because there is another car right behind it that is coming round.

But, if people use them properly, roundabouts are a great way to control traffic.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Merry wrote:Actually there are lots of roundabouts in the U.K that can accommodate a full size transport truck, so that's not the issue. The problem I see with roundabouts is that most Canadian drivers don't understand how they're supposed to work.

When on the roundabout your supposed to signal when you are about to exit, so that anyone waiting to enter the roundabout knows whether you are going to continue on round, or exit. But often people skip the signal part, and just exit. Which means, if your the one waiting to enter the roundabout, you miss your chance because by the time you realize the one car is about to exit, it's too late to enter because there is another car right behind it that is coming round.

But, if people use them properly, roundabouts are a great way to control traffic.

While I agree with you that people here (especially many on these boards) have no clue how they work - the thing about trucks in Europe is they handle quite differently than trucks here - there they can literally turn in a dime.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Eires

Post by Eires »

While I agree with you that people here (especially many on these boards) have no clue how they work - the thing about trucks in Europe is they handle quite differently than trucks here - there they can literally turn in a dime.

Very true, in UK the trucks are usually COE with one set of drive axle and a raised helper axle. coupled with a tiny sleeper area it reduces the wheelbase and I think the standard trailers are 45-ish feet compared to the 53 feet in N. America, all works well on the cramped European road systems.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

There's a roundabout on the main highway in Clearwater.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”