Any Brits, Kiwis, etc care to compare pensions to Canadian?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hermes
Fledgling

Any Brits, Kiwis, etc care to compare pensions to Canadian?

Post by Hermes »

My American buddy is crying in his non-beer that as a US citizen he has ended up old and destitute because he didn't save. Living in Vietnam on $300 - $500 per month he tells me that at 65 he doesn't enough qualify for welfare if he returns to what is no longer his home.

I hear different stories from retirees in other Anglo nations. I am curious which Commonwealth countries it is best to be old, lazy and stupid or plain didn't plan well and returning 'home' cap in hand. Perhaps there are some globetrotting vagabonds (or even settled and hard-working - I have nothing against the middle class) citizens of other countries on this board. I am curious about *any* developed nations (Singapore, Germany, etc) but to begin it might be interesting to hear from our English-speaking brothers before our culturally more distant cousins.

Perhaps there are equivalents to OAS, CPP and GIS in New Zealand and South Africa for example. For one, I hear that the Australian program is more generous. See initial comment about US one as being less so.
ecoforce

Re: Any Brits, Kiwis, etc care to compare pensions to Canadi

Post by ecoforce »

I think North Korea is as fitting as it could be for you and your friend. Haha.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Sorry but I don't believe any old age type government pensions should be set up to support you. You have some responsibility in your life to look after yourself. If you are in dire straights there are programs you can use. Just my personal feelings.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I'm not sure what side of this the OP is slanted on. You seem pretty hard on your "friend" for not having planned for his retirement.

I don't think there's any place where basic pensions and benefits set you up to retire comfortably. It would be nice if they did, but I don't think that's financially feasible for any country.

Are you wanting to show your friend that he's not getting stiffed by Uncle Sam, and that this would happen no matter where he lived? There's gotta be better ways to find that data than asking here.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Social Concerns”