Shutting down of ideas

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Post by Ka-El »

fvkasm2x wrote: We seem to be drifting farther apart, when we are in a time (with all the knowledge and technology) where you'd think we'd be closer together.

I agree and I don’t think this is completely an accident. I think there are forces at play that actually want to encourage polarization and divisiveness. I think one of the problems, to criticize conservative thinking, is the fear of change. The world and society is evolving and many conservative thinkers don’t like what they see. For example, cultural and social evolution, which has included the prolific migration of non-whites through societies of the western world, is inaccurately, and fearfully referred to us “cultural genocide”. Liberals tend to value diversity and inclusion, and tend to recognize and accept that the world is changing and moving forward. Conservatives, a good number at least, seem to fear it that change and seem to believe (erroneously I would suggest) that social evolution can be stopped, and even reversed. There is a hope among most centrists (which is where I would put most liberal thinkers) that we come closer on some of the ideas that separate us, based on facts and evidence from science and research rather than rhetoric and fear. However, it is possible the achievement of cooperation and mutual understanding may interfere with the agenda of certain political forces. We live in interesting times.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

slimebucket wrote: Seems like trolls and bullies just band together and ignore each others actions and focus on attacking their "mark".

Guilty as charged - but I can at least admit and acknowledge that, and make the commitment to try and do better. It is only human to react to stupidly dangerous ideas, especially when we have to realize these ideas aren’t always harmless and just one poster’s opinion and can present a risk to all of us by creating even more divisiveness. Still, the point is well taken that we would look better by focusing on attacking those ideas, rather than those who present them.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Vey good. Thanks
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Would you live in a time before modern dentistry? I clicked on the George Washington slave teeth link at the bottom, uh, no.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Opeeved wrote:And oh, chimps fling feces, not orangutans.

My personal experience while watching the orangutans at a zoo is they very much do fling their feces, and it was directed at all the spectators.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 26th, 2017, 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Baiting
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

super man wrote:. I think there are forces at play that actually want to encourage polarization and divisiveness
quite right. Divide and conquer. Oldest tactic in the "book".
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

p.s. Superman is my cousin, Kal-El. He's got the muscle. I'm the one with the brains. :D
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 27th, 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do NOT change usernames.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Ka-El wrote:p.s. Superman is my cousin, Kal-El. He's got the muscle. I'm the one with the brains. :D

So .noted :)
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Ka-El wrote: Liberals tend to value diversity and inclusion, and tend to recognize and accept that the world is changing and moving forward. Conservatives, a good number at least, seem to fear it that change and seem to believe (erroneously I would suggest) that social evolution can be stopped, and even reversed.

As someone who is neither, but admittedly leans towards the conservatives more so... I don't think that's necessarily the reason they are "opposed" to the change. It's just that they don't like the direction that change is heading in. They don't agree with the changes being made. While you say the change is moving forward, some (like myself) think the change is actually for the worse in some aspects.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fvkasm2x wrote: I don't think that's necessarily the reason they are "opposed" to the change. It's just that they don't like the direction that change is heading in. They don't agree with the changes being made.

That’s too bad. The world will move on with or without them.

fvkasm2x wrote: While you say the change is moving forward, some (like myself) think the change is actually for the worse in some aspects.

We have a long way to go, and given the resistance to changes (inclusion vs isolation, cooperative collectivism vs competitive individualism, education and intellectualism vs partisan rhetoric and ignorance) the ride will prove to be tough. However, these changes will be critical to the ultimate survival of humans as a species on this planet. Sadly though, while change can be uncomfortable for some, it is the efforts to resist this change that will be the most destructive. Social and cultural evolution is inevitable. To have any positive impact on the direction of change, people need to embrace the fact it will continue and look hard to see and understand the bigger picture. Our global demographics (race, religion, sexual identity, etc.) are changing rapidly, and we have as much (if not less) influence on that than we do on climate change. Assuming we can affect that (such arrogance), or isolating ourselves from the world would prove to be our failure. In this regard, Trudeau is right on track.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

A great example of the point the OP is making is when I post a video here on Castanet forum in "social concerns" a video made by truthstream media about google and the censorship of ideas and beliefs such as shown in the novel "1984" by George Orwell and upon my return 24 hours later I find my thread moved to "conspiracy and wierd science". That is an active & intentional agenda. The censorship and the beat down will grow exponentially.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Ka-El wrote: However, these changes will be critical to the ultimate survival of humans as a species on this planet.

Racism, immigration, gender identity and any other current event going through "change" right now has no bearing on the survival of our species though.

Overpopulation and killing of the Earth and it's resources are getting worse every year and at this point, there's no stopping it. Our species is doomed, it's just a matter of time.

Gun control, pride parades, X on birth certificates and tearing down racist statues have absolutely nothing to do with the survival of our species.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

So let’s go down swinging.

O. Hilrich’s project.

Seemingly abandoned or completed in 2014.

Human basics

Need for human basics

“ . . . Never before in human history the earth has been populated with so many individuals, and never before humans have had to live in such big and culturally mixed populations. And maybe also never before there was such a need for understanding and agreement between different cultures about the basics of our human nature and about universal human values as in our divided and contradictory world of today. . . .”

HTML http://www.humanbasics.org/Human_Basics ... asics.html

PDF http://www.humanbasics.org/Human_Basics ... 9-2014.pdf

Let's give ourselves the best palliative care we can.

Return to “Social Concerns”