Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by fvkasm2x »

JLives wrote:I watched Kong: Skull Island with my son last night. We totally loved it. It was very well done and beautifully shot.

Ya, it was pretty good. Very visual. Terrible acting by Jack Black aside... I still did prefer that film over this one.
Caberry98

Post by Caberry98 »

Why not to see 'The Life of PI' for further inspiration. This will show you how to survive yourself even in danger situation. I have seen this one more than 10 times but still interested.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

averagejoe wrote:Anybody see Dunkirk? Thoughts on the movie if you seen it?

I have not seen it yet (might wait for it to hit dvd) but everyone I have talked to has loved it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

averagejoe wrote:Anybody see Dunkirk? Thoughts on the movie if you seen it?

Not yet. Chatting with my mom last night and she went to see it and said it is a must see. Her dad, ( grandfather ) was not evacuated from Dunkirk but from a village just up the coast. He was in the REME's and after DE Gaulle surrendered leaving 400,000 + Brits and others in the lurch they bailed to the coast. Mom told me a story that the large ship he missed out on, was hit by a bomb and pretty much blew up a kilometer off shore. Grandpa came back with 10 others on a small put-put runabout. Mom remembers him coming up the walk hardly recognizable. After that, Mom said Grandpa detested the French and the country after what they did. Mom was 11 at the time. Poole, England.

Have to ask questions about our parents sometimes. Dad lived on the outskirts of London during the blitz. Grandma would not have dad evacuated and dad has a few stories as well. Not a nice thing war. Some politicians seem to forget that...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

just watched shot caller, loved it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxjyRr9k2E
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We watched Jackie on Netflix the other night.

At first it felt slow, and then I didnt' want it to end.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

LOL - ahhh yes, looking forward to this one...

WATCH OUT! : *naughty words*

can't help but love a good "basket of deplorables" movie once in a while
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Caberry98

Post by Caberry98 »

Snake in the Eagle Shadow.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Saw this one last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6113488/

Loved it
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Finally saw Guardians II - loved it!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Free movie on Shaw video on demand. Watched "Lion" last night, really good.

It starts with a 6 year old in India who accidentally falls asleep on an out of service train car that's locked from the outside, and ends up in Calcutta, 1200 miles from his home. Has no idea what the name of his city is or even his mother's name. To make matters worse they speak a different language from his home town.

Taken from a true story, sub titles at start of movie, stars Nicole Kidman.

Really well done, if you enjoy a good tear jerker, this is the movie for you. Won't tell you how it ends except that expect more tears. :cry: :cry:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We watched the newer Total Recall on netflix last night.

Sorta an up date on the old one. Okay, I can handle that. The dystopian set was depressing, I counted five trees. The prolonged fight scenes and chase scenes got dull after a while. Very little humour injected in to the story and I was waiting fot the famous "consider this a divorce" line. Nope.

However, "I do good wife." [icon_lol2.gif]
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Queen K wrote:We watched the newer Total Recall on netflix last night.

I liked it. My wife and I have probably watched it three times

On another note, very much looking forward to the remake of "Blade Runner"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Funny that you brought Blade Runner up because in the first few scenes I said, "looks a lot like Blade Runner" and the street scenes did too.

I am also looking forward to new Blade Runner. I want to watch Blade Runner Un-Cut before the new one comes out.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:I am also looking forward to new Blade Runner. I want to watch Blade Runner Un-Cut before the new one comes out.

I bought a five disc "Collectors' Edition" of Bladerunner a few years back and if you're a fan then it's a wonderful addition to your library. The "behind-the-scenes" look at the making of the movie is every bit as entertaining as any movie out there these days. The best cut to watch would be the "Final Cut", as close to the perfectionist director's original visualization as you can come.

When I read that the coming sequel will also be released in IMAX format I toyed with the idea of going to Vancouver to see it on one of the real IMAX screens there. I know there is one near Pacific Center so I checked room prices at the Pan-Pacific Hotel which is also right there. When I regained consciousness....

Edited to add:
I've raved about this movie before, but it is every bit deserving of praise. In addition to some social commentary that holds relevance today more than ever, genetic manipulation for one, as a technical and artistic achievement it stands apart from all contenders. Released in 1982, it was made in a time when computer graphics were but a twinkle in the collective eye of geekdom. The only computers involved in production were to control the cameras when multiple shots of the same scene were required. The rest was all done with miniatures and camera "trickery". Apart from some studio settings, it was filmed almost entirely at night, portraying a dystopian future of overpopulation and climate change gone out of control. Under it all it reads like a good old film noire detective story. If you haven't seen this film yet you're really missing out on a classic.
Last edited by fluffy on Sep 12th, 2017, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”