Developers Can Do Better/Highrise

LolaB

Too high or just right

Post by LolaB »

I am simply beyond understanding why city of Kelowna is applauding all the way for now the 32 storey hotel right by the foot of the lake. Some years ago, when the prospect of a shorter version came to the light I and others opposed and even called the planning department to give city more than good reasons NOT to approve this insane project. But the city lied and said that there wasn't any opposition!!! Who is benefiting from lying? I know lots of people who said they opposed in writing or by phone but city denies it.

Assuming the city planners do not have any education in Architecture (if they would there would be no approval) I was suggesting that public needs to be informed about all the aspects of such building... but mayor and councilors do not really care for more than the tax money they will receive. Such project in our SPECIFIC narrow lake environment will destroy the downtown vibe and looks. By the surrounding nature, we are not the city that can afford to plop the tall buildings near the downtown without killing it! Is anyone really thinking here?

Taller building by the Sunset boulevard are more than enough what downtown should have and being a little bit "off site" they are quite suitable where they are or will be build. Downtown core anywhere between the lake up to about Richter and Gordon and from Prospera to the highway 97 should not have any buildings taller than 8-10 stories. There are many good reasons and one of them is that this hotel plus other towers going up on Lawrence are going to create un-natural "windmills", it will look awful towering over the original town which should stay historic for generations to come (we tend to destroy rather than preserve the tiny history we have) and very importantly it will create an enormous strain on the traffic.

Who in right mind can't see that the downtown streets cannot and will not get any wider and the same goes for the Harvey Avenue approaching the bridge. The city or government are totally unable and useless when it comes to fixing the traffic problems in these areas but let's go ahead and add more cars and population in downtown core. IT WILL BE CONSTANTLY CONGESTED and fooling us with new parking spots won't solve anything. Those people will not stay in their hotel rooms and downtown walking zone for the stretch of their stay, the same as the residents of the "towers" will not work in downtown. Who are we kidding here that all or most people will have jobs in downtown! - hahahaha, or use the buses? That's plain utopia and insanity of those who can propose such argument.

All the exits to the highway to the north or south will become constant bottle necks. For goodness sake, we can't even manage to install turning lights on important intersections around the city.... For example, try to turn north from Richter to Harvey and you will be stuck "forever" as there are no turning light here (too many drivers proceed on the red light regularly causing very scary situations). Same goes for Harvey/Cooper intersection coming from North and not being able to turn to the banks and shopping after 3 pm!!! Who thought of that crazy plan???

I highly suggest that CITY OF KELOWNA planners will approach this situation from the traffic point including a proper escape route (which is NON-EXISTENT now) from downtown core in a case of any disasters (such as fires), from the architectural point, for the future generations (we have a very unique setting by the narrow part of the lake with hills right across from downtown), and simply for the well-being of the city. The skyscrapers will bring lots of negative activity around them (as big cities do), and they will put shadows on all the beauty around them!!!! What will be next? The concrete downtown where no one will want to go? You are the future makers, do be the destroyers and use your BRAINS please.
Last edited by LolaB on Aug 29th, 2017, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Too high or just right

Post by Hassel99 »

It seems fine,

Some people sure live to complain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I'm ok with high rises. We can use more.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I'm fine with it. The city has to grow eventually.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

and suddenly Lola goes quite lol

the Okanagan Is growing. It makes sense to densify downtown vs expanding the interface areas. Get over it
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As long as engineers get it right, meaning CoK high water table. This 36 story tower does not become Kelowna version of leaning tower of pisa.

Other then that I'm okay with it (going to need a very big above ground parkade)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Developers Can Do Better

Post by Terris »

unimpressed wrote:The Developer comes back with a even higher tower 32 stories now ... was there not a "vision" from Kelowna City Planner about this particular portion of the water... maximum height 16 stories...

I guess what the Developer wants the Developer will get ... regardless of the "vision" for the downtown waterfront.

Kelowna City Planner should send him back and make this Developer adhere to the "vision" plan and/or move the infamous tower away from the water which will still have a great view for the money people. Kelowna is just getting bigger and bigger and now this new tower will probably steal even more waterfront for their boats, etc. A few hard benches on a paved area for walking... very appealing for a family picnic.

The scariest part of all this project... projected 30 months of construction ... and that if all goes well... From what street to what street will the barriers go to... how about the businesses already struggling to make it. Downtown is already not great to go park... imagine then.

P.S. Let's not forget the Tourist Information booth will also go downtown at the water... another construction project happening down there. Still don't know how the big RVs or smaller ones for that matter are going to be able to park and go to that Info Tourist booth. When they see the parking troubles I guess they will just continue their way to Vernon or Penticton.

This developer really does appear to be just "wingin' it". The original plan was half baked and rushed through city council likely before all the engineering data was in. Hence the revision with an extra few stories to make up for their development costs.

This is a strange move by city council, to give this developer carte blanche without consideration for other businesses in the downtown core. It really does not fit with the historical and cultural nature that still belongs to Kelowna; not some sort of Albertan version.

This is another reason why I suspect that this "hotel" is actually going to be reverted to luxury condos at some point.

City council has cow towed to this developer (despite the developers' publicly displayed histrionics) throughout this process and on several other still undeveloped projects.

I don't think they'll now bow to public pressures to review and perhaps deny this egregious, view robbing, business stealing, concrete phallus and tribute to someone's self aggrandizing ambitions.

The irony here is that, the view from City Hall will be the most affected among those who will lose their view and be placed forever in the shadows of this "hotel" especially in the winter months.

Money talks and our hometown values have to walk I suppose...

:thumbsdown:
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Build it!! :biggrin:
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I heard lake view property values from Dilworth crashing like waves upon the shores.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I think that they're asking for 36 stories to get a concession of 31 stories. "Concession" and sop to the public that is.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Developers of what could be a historic development just off Kelowna's downtown core are itching to begin selling.

The One Water Street development, which sits at the triangle with Water and Ellis Streets and Sunset Drive, will be the subject of a public hearing tonight.

Developers have called a press conference for Wednesday morning to comment on council's decision.

They had planned to open a presentation centre two weeks ago to show off the design of the proposed buildings, but were asked to hold off until after council had made a decision.

City council will determine first if the property can be rezoned, and second, whether several variances will be granted as part of the development permit application.

At issue is the height of the two proposed towers. The developer is asking to vary the height from 22 metres to 119 metres for the south tower and 98 metres for the north tower.

That would make the south tower 36 storeys tall and the north tower 29, making them the tallest between the Lower Mainland and Calgary.

Council supported the rezoning application in June, but some noted support for rezoning did not necessarily mean support for the overall project.

At the time, Coun. Luke Stack said the big issues for him, if the towers are supported, is view corridors, and the interface between the lower podium and the street.

"To me, as a pedestrian, whether I'm looking at 26, 27 or 28 storeys, it's actually the interface with the street that's the critical part in my mind."

Only three people contacted the city to make comment on the development. One was in favour and two were either against or had concerns.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... on-tonight
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Wish I could be there for that.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Queen K wrote:I heard lake view property values from Dilworth crashing like waves upon the shores.

Well they've ruined my view of Dilworth. From my place I've also watched as my view of of knox mountain and the lake are being destroyed. First they're carving up the mountain, and then they'll be building 2 story houses that block out my view of the lake.

A single high rise does a lot less to obstruct view (and actually adds to it in my mind) than an entire neighbourhood of copy paste houses built on the mountain top.

If people want to complain about increased density ruining their small town, they need to A) provide a reasonable alternative. And B) come to terms with the fact that this is no longer a "small town", nor has it ever been exclusively "theirs".
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

I guess there is nothing wrong with a 36 story tower in its current location...unless you live on Knox Mountain, or in the houses behind, or they build higher towers in front of these in the future. These aren't being built for Kelowna residents, they are investment, fly-in, fly out condos. Why else would you pay a premium for basically lakefront property as developers?

Return to “Central Okanagan”