Developers Can Do Better/Highrise

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Developers Can Do Better

Post by Terris »

Brerrabbit18 wrote:I guess there is nothing wrong with a 36 story tower in its current location...unless you live on Knox Mountain, or in the houses behind, or they build higher towers in front of these in the future. These aren't being built for Kelowna residents, they are investment, fly-in, fly out condos. Why else would you pay a premium for basically lakefront property as developers?

Well stated !!!

:up:
dle
Lord of the Board

Highrise decision

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205303

IF we have to have highrises then I think this area is where they should be. Set back from the lake a bit and from the immediate downtown - still totally walkable. I mean they are going to get views of some sort from up there no matter where they are so they don't need to be lakeside blocking the view for the rest of us who think the lake and mountain views should be preserved.

However, what I'd really like to know is when they are going to build some affordable, RENTAL FAMILY HOUSING instead of catering to the rich with all the skyrise condos? Families need grassy areas for kids, nice clean neighbourhoods, an apartment isn't ideal but if there is a park area included for the kids to play then that would be okay. The City should think about a nice, mangement controlled mobile or modular home park. Strict rules for no junk laying around your property etc. Landscaping provided perhaps so they don't turn to ruins.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Highrises Approved

Post by Fancy »

Before long, Kelowna will be home to the tallest towers between Vancouver and Calgary.

Kelowna council gave the go-ahead Tuesday night for North American Development Group to build its One Water Street project nearly 100 metres taller than current zoning allows.

The 36- and 29-storey towers will sit at 1187 Sunset Dr., at the site of the infamous “dirt pile” that has occupied the property for years.

The residential towers will contain a total of 404 residential units, sitting atop a three-storey podium. The podium will house close to 500 parking stalls, hidden by retail space fronting Sunset Drive, Clement Avenue and Ellis Street.

Council was enthusiastic about approving the project, and there was virtually no pushback from the public on the proposal.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205399
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Highrise decision

Post by the truth »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205303-1-.htm#205303

IF we have to have highrises then I think this area is where they should be. Set back from the lake a bit and from the immediate downtown - still totally walkable. I mean they are going to get views of some sort from up there no matter where they are so they don't need to be lakeside blocking the view for the rest of us who think the lake and mountain views should be preserved.

However, what I'd really like to know is when they are going to build some affordable, RENTAL FAMILY HOUSING instead of catering to the rich with all the skyrise condos? Families need grassy areas for kids, nice clean neighbourhoods, an apartment isn't ideal but if there is a park area included for the kids to play then that would be okay. The City should think about a nice, mangement controlled mobile or modular home park. Strict rules for no junk laying around your property etc. Landscaping provided perhaps so they don't turn to ruins.

agree 100% :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Highrise decision

Post by sublime »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205303-1-.htm#205303

Both two great points. Many beautiful cities have laws that prevent towers going in too close to their body of water. It makes for a much more beautiful city. It's also funny how people get their knickers in a twist more over Airbnb contributing the housing issue than exactly what you stated. Do people actually think most of these units will be lived in? They will be property investments for the wealthy and foreign investors. Not people living and contributing to the local economy. Towers like this are not helping the housing crisis. Suppose that's okay?
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Developers Can Do Better/Highrise

Post by Fancy »

I would suppose there would be people living in these buildings with daycare space provided as well as all the parking and retail.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This January, the Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission launched a multi-tiered digital shout-out to Canadian expatriates in California in a bid to attract more people – especially entrepreneurs – back to the Kelowna area. California was targeted because of its comparable lifestyle and high-tech strength.

The response was tremendous: since the Internet shout-out started, traffic from California has spiked 272 per cent, primarily from Canadian expats aged 23-50 living in the San Francisco area, home of Silicon Valley.

It is just the latest evidence that Kelowna, already one of the fastest-growing cities in B.C. and ranked as the No. 1 entrepreneurial city in Canada, is striding into an unprecedented growth phase.

With a population topping 194,000, up 8.4 per cent since 2011, the city is reaching mid-city critical mass and even U.S. developers are taking note.

In June, Florida-based North American Development Group, in a venture with B.C. developer Kerkhoff Construction, submitted a proposal for a twin-tower downtown Kelowna project that would include the tallest tower between Vancouver and Calgary.

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/bri ... 1.20721600
unimpressed

Post by unimpressed »

Is the City keeping track of all the high rise projects that they are approving downtown/waterfront ... How many years of construction is this area going to have to live thru.

I would like to see all these projects on a map with construction "start" date and "projected" completion date and also have them explain and show the public how they are planning to deal with the traffic congestion for such an influx of population downtown.

Also, will these high rises be lived in most of the year ... or just vacation homes for a few months per year.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

unimpressed wrote:Is the City keeping track of all the high rise projects that they are approving downtown/waterfront ... How many years of construction is this area going to have to live thru.

I would like to see all these projects on a map with construction "start" date and "projected" completion date and also have them explain and show the public how they are planning to deal with the traffic congestion for such an influx of population downtown.

Also, will these high rises be lived in most of the year ... or just vacation homes for a few months per year.

I see you're new to cities. There will always be construction. You'll have to get used to that. I might also suggest referring to the OCP for your questions regarding development and traffic.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

unimpressed wrote:Is the City keeping track of all the high rise projects that they are approving downtown/waterfront ... How many years of construction is this area going to have to live thru.

Maybe some answers are on the council agenda - there's quite a few pages regarding the details of the actual buildings.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Wescorp will not be happy with not being the tallest tower. Any bets they go back before city council and ask for something higher?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They've already changed the plans to go higher - I'm not sure they will want to go to the expense of changing it further when they are so close to getting the go ahead.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Other than the likely expensive prices, I like it. Build away. Now let's try to build some more affordable ones, and stop carving up the hillsides on the outskirts.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”