Transportation of petroleum products

Which method of transportation do you prefer and why?

1) Pipeline
94%
2) Railway
No votes
3) Tanker
No votes
4) Other - please explain
6%

Total votes: 50

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Transportation of petroleum products

Post by Smurf »

I found some information, not exactly what I wanted but hopefully it will work. “About 707 barrels of crude in each rail car.”

Or, looking at the national numbers, 408,302 carscarry 39,263,515 tons, which works out to 96 tons percar. One barrel of oil weighs about 0.136 metric tons, so that's about 707 barrels of crude in eachcar. A barrel of crude is about 42 gallons, so that's 29,696 gallons per car.Jun 16, 2014
30,000 Gallons Of Crude-By-Rail Every 77 Seconds | Inside Energy

http://insideenergy.org/2014/06/16/3000 ... 7-seconds/

CALGARY — A looming pipeline shortage could force more barrels of Canadian oil onto rail cars over the next few years, as oilsands companies look for alternative shipping options amid a gradual rise in production.
The oil industry’s pipeline woes have eased in recent months after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau approved two major pipeline proposals, and after U.S. President Donald Trump invited TransCanada Corp. to resubmit the  Keystone XL pipeline permit.
However, the earliest date of completion for any new pipeline project is around the end of 2019 — if there are no delays. With oilsands production expected to rise over the next five years, and with Canada’s pipeline system near capacity, oil firms are tapping crude-by rail once again.

“The reality is, without additional physical steel being put in the ground there will come a point where that pipeline system will be overtaken,” said Kevin Birn, an analyst with IHS Cera in Calgary.
Volumes of crude moving by rail are already on the rise. Canadian crude oil exports by rail surpassed 120,000 bpd in November 2016, the highest in 13 months.
Recent volumes are nearing their peak of 172,000 bpd in March 2014, when several deadly accidents involving crude-laden trains turned oil-by-rail transportation into a contentious topic, according to the National Energy Board.

http://business.financialpost.com/commo ... l-up-again

They are already increasing rail transportation and it sounds like it will only continue to increase. This is not going to go away and in my mind the worst thing we could be doing is using rail over pipeline.

Trans Mountain Expansion Project
The Trans Mountain Expansion Project (the Project) is a $7.4-billion construction project. The expansion will parallel the 1,150-km route of the existing Trans Mountain Pipeline, which was built in 1953 and is the only West Coast link for Western Canadian oil. Pipeline capacity will increase from 300,000 to 890,000 barrels of oil per day.

https://www.kindermorgan.com/pages/busi ... /tmep.aspx

This pipeline expansion will allow us to keep 590,000 barrels a day off of our rail lines. Is that not a huge plus. According to my first quote that would be about 835 rail cars less a day than will be necessary if the pipeline is stopped. Who really wants to see that many more rail cars a day on our rail lines carrying crude oil? I'm not sure but I am also willing to bet that it is lot more dangerous to unload that oil from each rail car than one dump from a pipeline. I am positive the pipeline is by far the best solution.

I know, I know, just stop the flow of oil, but I think we all know that is not gong to happen in the near future.

A bit off topic but here is some interesting information about the oil sands and what we might expect. That cash cow is not going to be shut down for a long time.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/OilSands/791.asp
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Cactusflower wrote:Why do you think it's going to get to the BC coast by any means of transport? If we can stop the pipeline we can stop the trucks and trains as well. This fight is far from over. Notley and Trudeau are going to have to be satisfied with KeystoneXL because Canadians know better than to think we can meet our climate change targets by expanding the tar sands output.

Good luck stopping the transportation of goods, raw or otherwise.
Last edited by GordonH on Aug 30th, 2017, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

Why do you think it's going to get to the BC coast by any means of transport? If we can stop the pipeline we can stop the trucks and trains as well. This fight is far from over. Notley and Trudeau are going to have to be satisfied with KeystoneXL because Canadians know better than to think we can meet our climate change targets by expanding the tar sands output.

I would say good luck on that one. But if it does happen how many decades will it take? What do we do in the mean time, allow all those rail cars. I certainly hope not because I believe they are a recipe for disaster.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I have no idea how long it would take, and that's irrelevant because the transport of bitumen would stop until the court made its decision.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Cactusflower wrote:I have no idea how long it would take, and that's irrelevant because the transport of bitumen would stop until the court made its decision.

Since neither Province or Fed's have ownership in either rail line or the property the line sits on. As long as both transport goods according to rules set out by Transport Canada, not much the BC Government can really do to stop bitumen by rail tanker.

So again good luck with that
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

we dont have to allow any dilbit to travel through bc. we can ban it :130:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:we dont have to allow any dilbit to travel through bc. we can ban it :130:

I will be watching to see this happen..... highly doubt it.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:we dont have to allow any dilbit to travel through bc. we can ban it :130:

how dumb , you can not ban anything by rail if it is done according to transport canada rules. :smt045
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

They'll wave their magic fairy wand and it will just stop. LOL

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

No pipelines....buy stock in companies that build rail tanker cars.....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

we can do anything we want alfred. the question is are you willing to suplort train full of poison coming into bc ? :130:
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Not me I support the new pipe line. No better way to move those type of products.

alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:we can do anything we want alfred. the question is are you willing to suplort train full of poison coming into bc ? :130:

*removed* i support the pipeline, and oil is not poison. *removed* you can not stop the movement of oil [progress] :130:
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

maryjane48 wrote:we can do anything we want alfred. the question is are you willing to suplort train full of poison coming into bc ? :130:

Let me check the stock price.............hmmmm...........YES!!!!!!!!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I support it - either rail or pipeline or truck - don't matter to me, I support all three :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”