Greyhound shows true colors

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Greyhound shows true colors

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4268289

this company should be booted out of canada .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Greyhound shows true colors

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:this company should be booted out of canada .
Why? Their air service was awesome and sorry to have seen that end. You think a company shouldn't be able to make a profit?

Kendrick said he would have preferred the province to work with Greyhound to improve service prior to launching the transit lines.

"The issue is really an unfair playing field," he said. "Greyhound doesn't get any subsidy to operate. We run strictly off the fare box.

"Before you spend these type of dollars, have a conversation with the private sector."
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Their true colours as a private business?

No business can be expected to operate at a loss. Either the government will need to subsidize those routes, or create a publicly funded alternative.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Omnitheo wrote:Their true colours as a private business?

No business can be expected to operate at a loss. Either the government will need to subsidize those routes, or create a publicly funded alternative.

they going to make public option. i grew up in that area of bc. i saw how they started to gouge price . greyhound is a joke now. if its to expensive to run a ice engine maybe they should think of a new fuel . :smt045 as in electric
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Omnitheo wrote:No business can be expected to operate at a loss.

However some believe " profit" is a nasty word that perhaps should not exist.
Profit is what pays the bills, wages, taxes and in some cases dividends to pension plans

MJ, do you have any cost effective alternatives?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:this company should be booted out of canada .

Still scratching my head at this - with over 1,100 locations across Canada, what do you propose should happen to the passengers and freight? Think the government will cover it all? I don't expect an answer but I wonder why post something when it appears you don't have any idea the repercussions should your wish come true.
Last edited by Fancy on Aug 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"Kendrick said concerns about ride sharing and public transit have been a longstanding feature of Greyhound's conversations with the province, and that a meeting with the new NDP government is scheduled.

"There's always an opportunity," he said when asked whether changes to the regulatory fees Greyhound faces could result in the routes continuing. However, he added he didn't think the company could make money in northern B.C. without government assistance.

"We don't think any carrier in the private sector could operate these corridors without some sort of assistance," he said.

"We didn't do this overnight.. it's at the point now where it's no longer sustainable."

The company needs approval from the transportation board in order to end its runs. No changes are likely to come into effect until 2018."

What they mean is that fees will be lowered and they could keep the routes until at least a private enterprise could open up for those unsustainable routes. Maybe not a private carrier operating in all routes, but just taking over specific routes.

The NDP may or may not grant lowered fees.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing BC Transit now has a route from PG to Smithers
https://bctransit.com/bulkley-nechako/n ... 3647776154

If there is not enough ridership between Smithers to Prince Rupert, why continue the service (Greyhound)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

maryjane48 wrote:

Good for Greyhound. I respect them more than I did before I read your post. Government subsidies competing against private enterprise is disgusting and a kin to communism.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:Their true colours as a private business?

Or, option 3, that doesn't somehow involve reaching into taxpayers pockets....an entrepreneur can set up service on these routes with smaller buses and lower admin costs and take the business. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/greyhound-canada-applies-to-stop-serving-northern-b-c-including-highway-of-tears-1.4268289

Feel free to start your own busing service there MJ.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

theres going to be public option. greyhound can pound sand
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/greyhound-canada-applies-to-stop-serving-northern-b-c-including-highway-of-tears-1.4268289

Since when did you become a fascist?

Return to “B.C.”