BC First Nations take action

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

BC First Nations take action

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4268234

well looks like our govts inaction for last 16 years have come to this . if bclibs had been more concerned with bc instead of having their gruby little hands out for money this wouldnt be a issue :smt045
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: BC First Nations take action

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: off topic
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I am shocked at the lack of action here by PM Trudeau and Premier Horgan. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Bc first nations take action

Post by JagXKR »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/first-nations-environmentalists-occupy-b-c-salmon-farm-1.4268234

well looks like our govts inaction for last 16 years have come to this . if bclibs had been more concerned with bc instead of having their gruby little hands out for money this wouldnt be a issue :smt045

Why are you not attacking the JT Liberals for their inaction?

From your link

"Fisheries and Oceans Canada is also responsible for granting operating licences to fish farms. The department did not respond to requests for comment on Tuesday."
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Bc first nations take action

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JagXKR wrote:
Why are you not attacking the JT Liberals for their inaction?

If the Conservatives were still in power, the thread title would be "Harper killing Coastlines". But now *removed*, somehow there's no mention of Trudeau and the Liberal inaction on this. The hypocrisy being shown here is just pathetic and disgusting.
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

boils down to clark taking money from the fish farms. thats a fact
. what isnt proven is dept of fisheries accepting money from same fish farms. until you provide a link showing fish farms giving money to dept of fisheries , it isnt part this topic :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business/9788388/story.html

fishfarms recieved 4 million in tax money for diseased fish . program for the public subsadys started under harper. will we see outrage on the right for this ? or more corrupt hypocrasy :smt045
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

maryjane48 wrote:boils down to clark taking money from the fish farms. thats a fact
. what isnt proven is dept of fisheries accepting money from same fish farms. until you provide a link showing fish farms giving money to dept of fisheries , it isnt part this topic :130:

You have a link to your so called fact?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/Business/9788388/story.html

fishfarms recieved 4 million in tax money for diseased fish . program for the public subsadys started under harper. will we see outrage on the right for this ? or more corrupt hypocrasy :smt045

I am upset by this, BC only got $4mm while the east coast got $90mm?
Not fair, we have sick fish too you know!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I have no problem with this. Decades of Liberal, Conservative and NDP governments have done zero about this issue (aside from occasionally making some noise).

From what I gather, closed pen land based systems can indeed compete with open net pen systems. https://www.was.org/articles/fish-farming-in-land-based-closed-containment-systems.aspx#.Wac4WdGQyUk

The taste problem seems resolvable as well.

So if we MUST stick with salmon, there just isn't the barrier there used to be to resolving this. Time for some action, and my suggestion would be a "kill two birds with one stone" approach.

1. Add a temporary Pigovian tax to open net farmed salmon (say, 10 years and good-bye?).
2. Make that money available to FNs who wish to partner with existing fish farmers to help offset the cost of closed systems.
3. Do NOT make provincial lands available for closed systems.

That would engender economic opportunities for FNs - a good thing. Many FNs have suitable land available, and that land contribution would guarantee location where economic benefits would flow to FNs, and at the same time increase the share of profits as land costs would add to the FN share of total value.

Alternately, and this is my preference, get away from salmon farming entirely and move to fish lower on the food chain (more input-output efficiency).

Another alternate worth pursuing is a native BC species, Steelhead. They grow as large as salmon and are much more tolerant of varying salinity, being essentially a sea run Rainbow trout. Rainbow trout are already successfully farmed, so why not Steelhead as a replacement for Atlantic Salmon??

Many of who have had the opportunity to eat Steelhead prefer it to salmon. It would also present interesting export opportunities.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

sure hobby that would work but no ten year chance for open pens. one year and gone. no point i taking risks when it should never have been allowed. when did this style of fishfarms really start in bc ? before 2001 ?

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/solut ... ory-in-bc/

heres the timeline. since 1950 all govts were responsable but lets be clear who ran the province for longest time. the rightwing. us the ndp put mortarium on new farms . when gordo came along they lifted it . why ? because of donations :smt045
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

hobbyguy wrote:
Many of who have had the opportunity to eat Steelhead prefer it to salmon. It would also present interesting export opportunities.

Many years ago and I loved it. Steelhead farms for sure.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

There's no way we can give those open pen salmon farms another decade to clean up their act. They must be legislated out NOW. I've been reading up on steelhead trout farming in Monterey Bay, CA, as well as in WA state in the Colville I.R. I don't know if there are any in BC, but I have seen them on display at one of my local super-markets. Must ask them next time I'm there who their supplier is.

In the meantime, I'm not about to stop buying wild Pacific salmon, and I refuse to eat those diseased farmed Atlantic salmon. I may have mentioned this earlier, but before the Norwegian fish farms started infiltrating our coastal waters, I knew the first entrepreneur who started a land-based Chinook salmon aquaculture operation. He was doing fine until the government sent some antibiotics to inject the fish with. To make a long story short, all the fish died overnight. I left the area shortly thereafter and never did hear if he recovered from that loss.

My point is, that type of aquaculture needs to be cultivated again. We should never be expected to eat foul-tasting, diseased salmon that is not indigenous to our coast. And we should not be expected to sit idly by as the Atlantic salmon farmers poison our water and consequently our wild Pacific salmon. The First Nations are trying their best to force the governments to get those filthy salmon farms out of their territory. Why aren't we doing the same?
Bigdaddy2290

Post by Bigdaddy2290 »

Oh @cactusflower there is too much hatred there for me to answer all of it, and I am sure you won't listen to reason. But for anybody else... Steelhead in the super markets are farm raised either in Powell River BC or in Saskatchewan. They come from Rainbow Trout eggs that are imported from Washington State and are labelled Steelhead to differentiate them from the much cheaper farmed rainbow trout. Still a good eating fish, glad you like it.
Some First Nations are taking action -many others have partnered with the farms and are growing fish, creating jobs and are happy with the arrangement. None of them have ever terminated a partnership. This is because once they get inside they see how the farms really operate, getting past the rhetoric and the fund raising terror mongering by the Environment fundraisers. They are having a positive impact TOGETHER.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Provide a link to First Nations partnering in open pen salmon farms. To my knowledge they are only involved in land-based operations. Don't know how you read any "hate" into my comment. I was stating the facts only. If you don't like them, you must have some skin in the game.

Return to “B.C.”