Caregivers upset

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Caregivers upset

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4268479

because of the bclibs inaction the caregiblvers are now feeling the effects . it took until 2015 until a seniors advocate was put in place but by then it was to late.
Veovis
Guru

Re: Caregivers upset

Post by Veovis »

This isn't anything new. Most caregivers feel this way. I worked for a company for many years that provided homecare for individuals. The turnover was often.

The real issue, caring for people day in and day out that only stay the same at best and often get worse, or even yet you have to see enough people you cared about die (naturally) that you just get a little broken inside.

It sucks, but has little to do with the BClibs, this issue always exists. IT sucks when you work and work and work and the best accomplishment you have is that they managed an ok day for an individual. It's a part of the facts and realities of that area of care.

Many nurses do a good job and the person gets to go home, caregivers can only maintain and usually never see anyone ever return "home". IT simply gets depressing after a while.

If you manage to cure down syndrome, old age, Alzheimer etc etc these jobs may get happier, until then you are working in a gloomy part of life. I applaud many of these people as I know how hard it is and I understand why they feel down about it all.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/seniors-advocates-bc-1.4268479

because of the bclibs inaction the caregiblvers are now feeling the effects . it took until 2015 until a seniors advocate was put in place but by then it was to late.

Well I guess that I should have been blaming the government for the stress in my life over the last couple of years. Being a single parent is hard then add on helping both my elderly parents can be very stressful at times. But you know to me that is just life so you deal with it. My parents did everything they could to raise me and now it's my turn to help them whenever I can. But in your opinion MJ I guess I should be bitching at the libs because my parent got old and need my help.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the issue is govt had lots of time to set up ways for familys to better look after other family members . care homes are expensive and not really the best long term solution. to many treat people like cattle . and after 16 years all the bclibs did was accept donations from private care homes but did very little to help people do homecare for their own family.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes. I'll explain later from what I've dealt with.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

maryjane48 wrote:the issue is govt had lots of time to set up ways for familys to better look after other family members . care homes are expensive and not really the best long term solution. to many treat people like cattle . and after 16 years all the bclibs did was accept donations from private care homes but did very little to help people do homecare for their own family.

Why is it up to the government to handle the day to day care of the elderly? I have already spoke to my parents about their long term needs and when the time comes and if it's needed I will move in and then be there for my parents. The government can stay out of the way and I will take care of my family to the best of my abilities, they will never go into a care home.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/seniors-advocates-bc-1.4268479

Advocate put in place due to too many not planning ahead. Done by the Best Premier ever.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Walking Wounded wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:the issue is govt had lots of time to set up ways for familys to better look after other family members . care homes are expensive and not really the best long term solution. to many treat people like cattle . and after 16 years all the bclibs did was accept donations from private care homes but did very little to help people do homecare for their own family.

Why is it up to the government to handle the day to day care of the elderly? I have already spoke to my parents about their long term needs and when the time comes and if it's needed I will move in and then be there for my parents. The government can stay out of the way and I will take care of my family to the best of my abilities, they will never go into a care home.

I applaud you, Walking Wounded. Unfortunately, there are too many who "leave it to the government". There are others who have no family, or whose family simply cannot manage the more difficult requirements of their loved ones.

It's a rapidly evolving problem that will probably always require improvement, so I sure hope the current government is able to continue making those improvements.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”