Why the NDP is in power now

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Why the NDP is in power now

Post by maryjane48 »

http://globalnews.ca/news/3708202/why-t ... -liberals/

There were two reminders on display last week of why the NDP is in power in this province and the B.C. Liberals are not.

First came the official confirmation by the Auditor-General that the last fiscal year ran up a huge $2.7-billion surplus. That’s right, “billion.”

Then came the NDP government making good on a key – perhaps “the” key – election promise by scrapping the tolls on two Metro Vancouver bridges by the end of this month.

What links both of these issues is “affordability”, which was the centerpiece theme of the NDP election platform. But while the New Democrats grasped the importance of affordability, the B.C. Liberals displayed a fatal tone deafness to the problem.

The B.C. Liberals were more than happy to simply allow the $2.7-billion to be applied to the province’s direct debt, as if that was what voters were clamoring for more than anything else. Funny, I don’t remember anyone, anywhere, in that election campaign, demanding that the direct debt be paid down as the top priority facing the province.

Rather than provide help for those struggling to keep pace with the high costs associated with living in Metro Vancouver, the B.C. Liberals repeated their mantra that “if the economy grows all will be well” and that creating a job was the end-all and be-all of a government’s responsibilities.

And yet the affordability situation remains profound: there is a rental crisis, a home ownership crisis, a mass of people living well below the poverty line, overcrowded transit, high tuition fees, an underfunded education system… the list goes on.

basicaly comes down to arrogance and indifference to the people of bc .
Veovis
Guru

Re: Why the NDP is in power now

Post by Veovis »

DO you have maxed out credit you never pay?

The fact you think that is a financially good way to live is shocking. However it is a standard of the NDP support groups. "I've never taken any financial responsibility for anything the government shouldn't either, and they should pay my bills and give me stuff" The NDP say "ok" and the votes flock in....not enough to actually win, but enough to show how many people think living responsibly is a terrible concept.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

This topic is being discussed in the NDP government tread.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Veovis wrote:DO you have maxed out credit you never pay?

The fact you think that is a financially good way to live is shocking. However it is a standard of the NDP support groups. "I've never taken any financial responsibility for anything the government shouldn't either, and they should pay my bills and give me stuff" The NDP say "ok" and the votes flock in....not enough to actually win, but enough to show how many people think living responsibly is a terrible concept.

Wonder how much interest BC pays on its debt.

Of course by not trying to pay down that debt all that will happen is passing it down on the generations to come...
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

no this topic is being talked about right here. the other thread is about the ndp govt. this about why they are now the govt. 2 seperate topics :130:
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

The way the NDP are going they might just *bleep* off Weaver enough that when the NDP table their budget the greens are all sick and absent for the vote.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

The B.C. Liberals were more than happy to simply allow the $2.7-billion to be applied to the province’s direct debt, as if that was what voters were clamoring for more than anything else. Funny, I don’t remember anyone, anywhere, in that election campaign, demanding that the direct debt be paid down as the top priority facing the province..

Cactusflower wrote:Please don't bring that harridan's name up again. I don't think I'm alone in wanting to forget the years we lost and the debt incurred under her leadership.

lasnomadas wrote: Letting her lie her way into 4 more years in which to put B.C. in so much debt that it may never recover? .

Seems you don't read what your allies post.
maryjane48 wrote:to forge ahead now with huge debt involved is something a banana republic would do .
Seems you don't read your own posts [icon_lol2.gif]

So which is it? Paying down debt good or bad?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

In BC it is in the law where any surpluses are used to pay down the provincial operation debt incurred in the past.
Got that tid-bit from a news clip with Carol James, about the only one in Cabinet with some common sense.

Sounds like it can't be used as a piggy bank to raid.

Oh, the NDG are in power today for just that, the total seats from the NDP and greenies are more that what the liberals have. Horgan had managed to convince the Lt. Governor he can form and run a government instead of having another election.
I bet the Lt. Governor is kicking herself now.... No fall sitting, greenies pushing back at Horgan's announcements, ( increasing the disability payments was a good thing though)
Likely Feb will be just about it for this government, bit longer than I imagined actually....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Minor correction: the house is sitting in september. Somehow no moral outrage over the delay to recall the legislature.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:
basicaly comes down to arrogance and indifference to the people of bc .

and yet all we heard from the NDP supporters here was babbling about the debt. Now that the NDP have pledged to NOT pay down debt, and instead spend spend spend, we are told that this is why the BC Libs lost. The pure hypocrisy being displayed here is not lost on anyone. This NDP government can't end soon enough.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol well mabey in 4 years the bclibs might come up with a non corrupt leader and have a chance at winning. if you think the greens will side with the current bclibs your dreaming. [icon_lol2.gif]
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I love the title of this thread and the misconceptions that were stated to open it as well. Such foolishness is the heart of the NDP and has nothing to do with why they are in Power.

The NDP are in power now, well actually the NDP really aren't in power, an NDP Green coalition is in power. They aren't in power from winning an election, they are in power because the Liberals didn't win by enough (1 seat), Weaver then decided to take a bribe of party status which meant $$$$$, and began voting against his parties ideals.

The NDP aren't in power, and their power base can evaporate at any time. Weaver has shown himself to be a phoney and the Greens will likely not get a seat for another decade. Weaver will stay with the current government as he knows he is done. At some point you may see his members leave and sit independent as their leader shows his true self.

Right now Weaver can criticise the NDP and look like proper opposition member, however the truth will happen when he has to vote in support of crap plans the NDP try to cram through, then we will see.

No the NDP are not in power, nor do they have a plan, so far the plan is to do what the Liberals did, literally the Liberal budget plan, and hope no one notices they have no clue. Well we have noticed, and the zealot faithful here will not ever leave their Minister John, but the bulk of voters are a likely difference next election.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:lol well mabey in 4 years the bclibs might come up with a non corrupt leader

Both parties couldn't come up with a "non-corrupt" leader, and that's why both parties lost.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

maryjane48 wrote:lol well mabey in 4 years the bclibs might come up with a non corrupt leader and have a chance at winning. if you think the greens will side with the current bclibs your dreaming. [icon_lol2.gif]

Would that be dreaming as in thinking the GreenDP alliance will last four years? [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

With an empty MLA seat, the greenDP get a free 6 month pass without having to have a corrupt speaker. After that, things get more interesting.

Return to “B.C.”