Greyhound shows true colors

36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Greyhound shows true colors

Post by 36Drew »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/greyhound-canada-applies-to-stop-serving-northern-b-c-including-highway-of-tears-1.4268289

this company should be booted out of canada .

It's a private enterprise - they shouldn't be forced into operating a route at a loss. BC Transit already provides service on the "highway of tears" - which means that First Canada (the owner of Greyhound Canada as well as the sole operator for BC Transit) is, in effect, double-dipping anyways. I see this as a win-win. First isn't forced into operating their charter line, and they no longer get to double-dip under the guise of BC Transit.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote: there is lots of canadian companies to haul freight .

Greyhound provides a lot of jobs to Canadians - why would you want all those employees to lose their jobs?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Although I would love to see greyhound service the northern communities, they will either go broke trying or be forced to cut corners.

Just to give you an idea where any bus stands here is the basic math.
$800,000 for a new bus. Some are a little more and some are a little less, but you get the idea.
300 litres of fuel in a 10 hour day.
$250 a day for a driver
There are still additional expenses like insurance, hotel rooms, monthly inspections, and of course repair costs.

As for people living in the communities.
If you can find enough people heading to the same destination, hiring a charter bus is affordable.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Greyhound, like many other companies that were profitable in the past, with honest,hard-working, respectable employees, has turned into a losing operation with slovenly, disrespectful employees. I wouldn't trust them to successfully deliver a box of Timbits to its destination.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

36Drew wrote:
It's a private enterprise - they shouldn't be forced into operating a route at a loss. BC Transit already provides service on the "highway of tears" - which means that First Canada (the owner of Greyhound Canada as well as the sole operator for BC Transit) is, in effect, double-dipping anyways. I see this as a win-win. First isn't forced into operating their charter line, and they no longer get to double-dip under the guise of BC Transit.

Greyhound Canada is still operated by Laidlaw however, First acquired Laidlaw,

First is not the sole operator for BC Transit, there are several operators in BC Transit's system - the run between Smiters to Prince George is operated by Pacific Western Transportation - so there is no "double dipping".
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Cactusflower wrote:Greyhound, like many other companies that were profitable in the past, with honest,hard-working, respectable employees, has turned into a losing operation with slovenly, disrespectful employees. I wouldn't trust them to successfully deliver a box of Timbits to its destination.

my daughter got stranded by greyhound as did that teenager i think last year by quesnel . they went from a good company to a joke . as for operating costs the price of their tickets has gone up while wages havnt . i could go from terrace to vancouver for 100 or less pre 2000s now i bet its over 200 double. yet whose wages doubles ?

and good luck getting a cs that cares about any issues . canada can provide what greyhound cant. we can boot their company out of canada and provide opertunaty for canadian company . :130:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:why do you care if an american company makes money? there is lots of canadian companies to haul freight . but that isnt main issue . its to prevent women from being murdered :smt045

Greyhound Canada isn't an American company.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Or, option 3, that doesn't somehow involve reaching into taxpayers pockets....an entrepreneur can set up service on these routes with smaller buses and lower admin costs and take the business. *removed*

Perhaps thats something the OP should look into :up:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

An attempt to shake down the provincial government and get them to give Greyhound a subsidy to continue.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote:An attempt to shake down the provincial government and get them to give Greyhound a subsidy to continue.

Good thing the NDP has a great track-record of NOT blowing taxpayer cash on idiotic money-losing ventures....oh wait...
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Walking Wounded wrote:
I am really getting very tired of you trying to turn any issue into a racial issue. It is complete and utter BS. Not everything is about FN MJ. All the posts that you say some crazy crap makes it hard to believe the ones where you might have actually hit on something good.

Yes we are all getting extremely tired of this. The "BC Libs" and "insert company name here" seem to always be to blame, and I see this as a big detriment to the FN and their real actual problems. Every time an issue like this is completely manufactured out of thin air, it detracts from real problems that the FN are trying to solve. And that burns my butt.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the deleting of info on the hiway of tears isnt manufactured. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 31st, 2017, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

When all is said and done, Greyhound has become what many large companies have become, a caricature of its old self. I used to know some of the Greyhound drivers. They were kind, courteous, competent, and responsible. They didn't leave passengers stranded on the side of the highway in a snow storm, or dump children off at a depot that was closed because the bus was behind schedule.

No wonder the ridership is down and they can't afford to provide service anymore.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:When all is said and done, Greyhound has become what many large companies have become, a caricature of its old self. I used to know some of the Greyhound drivers. They were kind, courteous, competent, and responsible. They didn't leave passengers stranded on the side of the highway in a snow storm, or dump children off at a depot that was closed because the bus was behind schedule.

No wonder the ridership is down and they can't afford to provide service anymore.

Ridership is down due to a much higher presence of intercity transit, and more and more people have access to personal vehicles. Not to mention, more and more people are choosing to fly.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Sep 1st, 2017, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:as for operating costs the price of their tickets has gone up while wages havnt .

Wages have most certainly gone up - nice try though - but once again, you're talking nonsense about something you have zero knowledge about.
maryjane48 wrote:i could go from terrace to vancouver for 100 or less pre 2000s

Are you for real? You're comparing prices from 18 plus years ago? And I could buy a chocolate bar for 50 cents not the $1.50 I have to pay now.
maryjane48 wrote:now i bet its over 200 double. yet whose wages doubles ?

And you'd loose your bet ...

... only a 40% increase in over 18 years - thats pretty good ... nice try though, please play again :up:

maryjane48 wrote:and good luck getting a cs that cares about any issues . canada can provide what greyhound cant. we can boot their company out of canada and provide opertunaty for canadian company . :130:

Here's your chance - step up to the plate - show us how its done :up:

Return to “B.C.”