Ferry smoking

Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Ferry smoking

Post by Rider59 »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:I've been on the top deck of the ferry with smokers and you can absolutely smell it, and you have to walk through it. Also, it was windy and their ashes were flying around, in my eye even.

And I am no more opposed to marijuana than I am to cigarettes, they both stink! You wanna vape, I'm okay with both.

OMG!!!!!!! So did you go immediately to a doctor and get extensive tests for cancer after that. I feel SOOOOO bad you had to put up with a bit of smell. Snowflake.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Rider59 wrote:
NotNorthAnymore wrote:As an x smoker (over 40 years)
I am very happy to see any and all restrictions on tobacco.
Did my share of weed when I was a kid - don't agree with it being legal.

Keep them both out of public spaces for those of us with bad lungs from smoking.

It is way past the time to get rid of tobacco around the world - not just here in BC.

IMO

Why? Just because you quit. Hypocrite.

Because had it not been socially acceptable and pushed by the tobacco companies and TV ads when I was young - I would not be in the shape I am now.
You want to smoke and kill yourself, go ahead, but don't expect the majority of the population to have to put up with you.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Because had it not been socially acceptable and pushed by the tobacco companies and TV ads when I was young - I would not be in the shape I am now.
You want to smoke and kill yourself, go ahead, but don't expect the majority of the population to have to put up with you.

Choices. You made yours. Can't help that some are so week that they can't resist advertisements. I bet you blame McD's for fat people to?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

When there are clearly marked areas on ferries allowing smoking on the outer deck, why on earth would a nonsmoker who detests the smell of tobacco smoke or cigarette ashes flying around CHOOSE to walk on that particular deck - and then complain??!!!
Chill
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

flamingfingers wrote:When there are clearly marked areas on ferries allowing smoking on the outer deck, why on earth would a nonsmoker who detests the smell of tobacco smoke or cigarette ashes flying around CHOOSE to walk on that particular deck - and then complain??!!!

But But they have freedom of movement. LOL
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

@ Rider: Wow, pretty aggressive considering I qualified what I said by adding in that I have no problem with vaping, calling me a "snowflake" seems rather unfair.

However, it was actually a hot ash in my eye, and their ashes were flying about, including in the faces of my kids as we were watching a school of fish at the rails of the boat with said smokers.

I said nothing about cancer either, in fact, I make no judgements about smokers at all, other than I shouldn't have to walk through a stinky cloud of smoke with ashes flying around in my clothes, in my face, and on my kids.
Last edited by Osoyoos_Familyof4 on Aug 31st, 2017, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

In regards to the last post, the ferry we were on only had 1 outdoor deck, so are you saying I don't have the right to not have smoke and ashes flying around on the only outside deck there is and show my kids a school of fish because you can't not pollute a public area?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^And was this on the 'smoking allowed' outside part of the deck???
BTW: The 'smoking allowed' part of the deck is confined to only a small part of the entire deck.
Chill
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

The outside area/deck allowed smoking, it was maybe the whole deck, but truthfully I'm not sure. All I know is that it was the only deck outside of the cabins, and there were several smokers out there, not sure if the deck itself had a smoking area versus a non-smoking area. All I can say for sure is that it was the only outdoor deck with seating and it seemed lots of people scattered around the deck were smoking. It had bench seating and there were lots of families out there because it was a nice day, it was outside, and kids wanna be watching for marine life at the rails. They should be allowed to do that without second hand smoke. I'd rather people vape.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Well, I am truly sorry for your experience, having to share with inconsiderate smokers... I am sure most smokers would choose to gather in an area where they were not subject to stink-eyes and insults from the self-righteous reformed smokers and true nonsmokers and their kids.

But as a smoker, I really can't see why BC Ferries are instituting policies that force you out of your car when you are on a deck with open access when you wish to be with your dog/have a nap/read a book/have a smoke/just relax before you embark on another long drive - whether it be up-Island or into Vancouver or up to the Interior.
Chill
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Again, learn how to vape. I am seriously not a rabid anything, much less a rabid anti-smoker. I totally appreciate the dilemma truthfully and I support anyone's right to vape whatever they see fit.

But outside areas should be free for everyone to use, non-smokers and families like to be outside as the kids can move around freely and get the crazies out and watch for cool stuff in the water. An outdoor anything with a "smoking section" doesn't contain the smoke obviously as the stuff flies around.

I am also not at all opposed to indoor smoking areas with a separately ventilated air system.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^I seriously have NO interest in 'learning how to vape' or 'learning how to chew snuff' simply because you suggest it. I only simply want to have an area - in my car, with open access or on part of an outside deck to smoke a cigarette or fire up a pipe or have a cigar in peace and quiet without hassle.

I would also LOVE to have part of each ferry designed as "No children below the age of 18 allowed."
Chill
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

I'm not opposed to smoking in your car, and I don't think people should have to get out of their car at all, as long as the signage clearly states that in the event of an evacuation, you best get yourself out as the crew can't be responsible for rounding you up out of your vehicle.

I have had many sleeps in my car on a ferry, as long as I understand the risk I guess that is my choice.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Having a snooze or reading a book in the quiet seclusion of your vehicle is a nice part of the day. I look forward to it every trip. Ban us from our vehicles but then provide free private secure safe rooms.

Smoke your brains out but do it downwind and hidden somewhere. It's a disgusting smelly habit that is surprisingly easy to break. I did it. Just say NO.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

flamingfingers wrote:^^I seriously have NO interest in 'learning how to vape' or 'learning how to chew snuff' simply because you suggest it. I only simply want to have an area - in my car, with open access or on part of an outside deck to smoke a cigarette or fire up a pipe or have a cigar in peace and quiet without hassle.

I would also LOVE to have part of each ferry designed as "No children below the age of 18 allowed."

The world is changing and no longer wants to tolerate your disgusting habit.
Do it at home or do yourself a favor and quit.

It is already banned in many public places such as parks in Vancouver.

Get with the now and stop killing yourself.

Return to “B.C.”