Greyhound shows true colors

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Greyhound shows true colors

Post by LANDM »

maryjane48 wrote:why do you care if an american company makes money? there is lots of canadian companies to haul freight . but that isnt main issue . its to prevent women from being murdered :smt045

Weird, I thought that is what the RCMP is for, not a bus company! :135:
You and 71 others Like this post
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

For Slatten and her daughter Dana, who has multiple disabilities and medical problems, the decision is a life changer.

Dana must travel to Vancouver at least three times a year for doctors’ appointments.

Under the current bus schedule – its daytime route through town was slashed two years ago – the pair has to leave Princeton at 1 a.m. to reach the coast in the early hours of the morning, and then stay overnight to return the following day at 4:35 a.m.

If the bus route is eliminated altogether they would need to travel by BC Transit to Penticton, then to Kelowna, and go to Vancouver from there, sald Slatten.

Depending on the connections and the number of overnight stays they will require “it will take three to five days to get her there and back for a one hour appointment.”

Slatten also has a disability, does not drive and has never owned a car.

“My whole life I’ve always been a walker. I can get a lot of places walking and with the Greyhound I’ve always been able to go anywhere.”

Last summer Slatten started a petition asking Greyhound to re-establish its daytime route through Princeton.

She gathered 648 signatures and sent the document to the company,

When she received no response she followed up by telephone.

“After three different people transferring me they finally switched me to the fourth person and when he asked how many signatures I had he just laughed. He said it would do nothing. He said nothing will ever happen with that petition.”
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Fancy wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:this company should be booted out of canada .

Still scratching my head at this - with over 1,100 locations across Canada, what do you propose should happen to the passengers and freight? Think the government will cover it all? I don't expect an answer but I wonder why post something when it appears you don't have any idea the repercussions should your wish come true.

Exactly. Then there would be no service at all.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:Dana must travel to Vancouver at least three times a year for doctors’ appointments.

Maybe they need to move to an area that is more accessible for required treatment. One would think that a lifelong ailment requiring frequent medical visits would be a worthy factor in deciding where to live or transportation considerations.

maryjane48 wrote:If the bus route is eliminated altogether they would need to travel by BC Transit to Penticton, then to Kelowna, and go to Vancouver from there, sald Slatten.

maryjane48 wrote:Slatten also has a disability, does not drive and has never owned a car.

There are several charities that cater to people in these types of situations, maybe talk to them.

maryjane48 wrote:Last summer Slatten started a petition asking Greyhound to re-establish its daytime route through Princeton.

And a petition is going to do what? Maybe instead of those 648 people singing a piece of paper, they should use the bus on a regular basis so Greyhound wouldn't have to shut down a route that is forcing them to loose money. Maybe some of those 648 people could be charitable and offer rides and trips instead of expecting a company to loose money?

maryjane48 wrote:He said nothing will ever happen with that petition.”

And why should it? I know this is a hard concept for someone like MJ to understand, but companies like Greyhound are just like you and me - they have bills to pay, they have equipment costs, maintenance costs, fuel costs, employee wages, etc. In order to pay those bills, just like us, they need income and the only way to generate income is to have paying passengers, which unfortunately, when it comes to busing (just as it did to rail) in this country, fewer and fewer people are utilizing the services.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

maryjane48 wrote:For Slatten and her daughter Dana, who has multiple disabilities and medical problems, the decision is a life changer.

Dana must travel to Vancouver at least three times a year for doctors’ appointments.

Under the current bus schedule – its daytime route through town was slashed two years ago – the pair has to leave Princeton at 1 a.m. to reach the coast in the early hours of the morning, and then stay overnight to return the following day at 4:35 a.m.

If the bus route is eliminated altogether they would need to travel by BC Transit to Penticton, then to Kelowna, and go to Vancouver from there, sald Slatten.

Depending on the connections and the number of overnight stays they will require “it will take three to five days to get her there and back for a one hour appointment.”

Slatten also has a disability, does not drive and has never owned a car.

“My whole life I’ve always been a walker. I can get a lot of places walking and with the Greyhound I’ve always been able to go anywhere.”

Last summer Slatten started a petition asking Greyhound to re-establish its daytime route through Princeton.

When she received no response she followed up by telephone.

“After three different people transferring me they finally switched me to the fourth person and when he asked how many signatures I had he just laughed. He said it would do nothing. He said nothing will ever happen with that petition.”

If I got 650 people to sign a petition to get you to stop posting, would you do it?

Return to “B.C.”