Declare fireban when risk is high

Frisk
Guru

Re: Declare fireban when risk is high

Post by Frisk »

johnny24 wrote:
It's not a baseless argument. I just showed the stats. No matter what the climate, no matter what bans are in place, the majority of years are right around the 40% human caused mark. As with anything, there will be anamolies, but it's pretty consistent.

Again the percentage means nothing to this argument. For example...
400 human caused fires & 600 lightning caused fires = 40% human 60% lightning
400 human caused fires & 1000 lightning caused fires = 29% human 71% lighting
Notice how the number of human caused fires remained the same yet the percentage dropped as the number of lightning caused fires increased?

johnny24 wrote:
Funny that you point to the total number of human caused fires for this year to support the fact the ban worked, yet you point to the percentage in 2009 to support your argument. Don't want to talk about the 881 human cause fires that year? Can't have it both ways.

Funny that you point to the percentage of human caused fires for this year to support the fact the ban didn't work, yet you point to the number of fires in 2009 to support your argument. Don't want to talk about the 28.8% of human caused fires that year?

LOL...all bickering aside, 2009 was a very long fire season that saw aggressive fire behavior as early as May & as late as mid September, hence the slightly above average number of human caused fires.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Frisk wrote:
Again the percentage means nothing to this argument. For example...
400 human caused fires & 600 lightning caused fires = 40% human 60% lightning
400 human caused fires & 1000 lightning caused fires = 29% human 71% lighting
Notice how the number of human caused fires remained the same yet the percentage dropped as the number of lightning caused fires increased?

I can make up numbers too, but I'd rather deal with real numbers than made up ones. Plenty of stats available.

Frisk wrote:Funny that you point to the percentage of human caused fires for this year to support the fact the ban didn't work, yet you point to the number of fires in 2009 to support your argument. Don't want to talk about the 28.8% of human caused fires that year?

LOL...all bickering aside, 2009 was a very long fire season that saw aggressive fire behavior as early as May & as late as mid September, hence the slightly above average number of human caused fires.

I didn't bring up 2009, you did. My argument has been consistent. I was pointing to the inconsistencies in yours.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is intriguing, but what they hide is crucial.

:up:
Your bias suits you.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

Long weekend is here, and so are more idiots lighting campfires. Lets all keep an eye on our local campsites and make sure that nobody starts another disaster with their endless arrogance and stupidity! It takes a village people, we are not all out there putting the fires out, but we can all be stopping them from starting. :130:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Woodenhead wrote:Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is intriguing, but what they hide is crucial.

:up:

Lol - the adage they "leave something to the imagination" also seems to apply. :)
dale mck

Post by dale mck »

Story on Castanet about unrepentant butt flicker getting his second ticket for this offence. Think 575 for first offence is reasonable don't think 575 for a second offence is nearly enough. Some total ignorant fools need a little more incentive to change their behaviour,,,then other total ignorant fools.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Mama wrote:Long weekend is here, and so are more idiots lighting campfires. Lets all keep an eye on our local campsites and make sure that nobody starts another disaster with their endless arrogance and stupidity! It takes a village people, we are not all out there putting the fires out, but we can all be stopping them from starting. :130:

Somehow I am not feeling optimistic, especially after 37 nitwits were just caught (how many weren't?). Will not be surprised if this weekend that number will double, plus new hideous fires started by those who are "entitled" to do what they damn well please. Maybe even some of the strange posters found here and on other threads will be contributing to the misery.

:200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

After all these weeks of witnessing wholesale destruction of forests I will be taken aback if there isn't a policy change in 2018 concerning declarations of firebans earlier rather than later. Sneaky campfire enthusiasts are easier to spot when there should be no campfires at all. Period.

As to smokers, as it has been said many times before, you can't ban stupid. Wallet is best place to hit them. Big fines, not the affordable fines we see now. $400 million so far in costs and we're still not done. What price do you put on misery?

It's anyone's guess how many fires might have been prevented that were human caused had a ban been declared earlier.

Yes, we all know and acknowledge lightning, birds on hydro wires, and unforeseen accidents, yadee, yadee. Please don't go there or about your rights to tool around on atv's or how difficult it is for you to use a firering.

If you have better ideas, bring them on.

We the sheeple really need to press for changes.
:smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”