Gas leak capped

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Gas leak capped

Post by the truth »

really so who is this loser that works for the city of kelowna -says it all does it not he works for the city of kelowna just another clown https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205314 did he not even look at the map before he started digging guess not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
slootman
Übergod

Re: Gas leak capped

Post by slootman »

Did you even read the article? He doesn't work for the city, he's a contractor. Nobody was hurt. Accidents happen and worksafe will review it.

Says it all does it not - b :cuss: and moan without even bothering to read beyond a headline.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ya a contractor working for the city of kelowna ,you might want to read the story again
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Hope the contractor can produce the BC One Call ticket he should have called for.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Whether this was a City employee or not hitting gas lines seems to happen all too often. Sooner or later there will be a spark and an explosion!
I drove past this and could smell gas a long distance away! Very dangerous.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Well i agree its fun to vilify the contractors when these things happen,anybody who has ever worked within existing infrastructure can tell you that *bleep* happens.The info provided from the city and the utilities company's are generally vague at best.

Its simply the nature of the beast. :130:
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Mark1111 wrote:Hope the contractor can produce the BC One Call ticket he should have called for.

Its a 3 million dollar city project, do you really think they would go ahead with out that :200:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well this is kelowna , seems to me they already forgot to call http://www.bconecall.bc.ca/?gclid=EAIaI ... gK_ofD_BwE it would explain this leak
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

The main reason, for all you expert civil engineers/contractors, is that the gas companies DO NOT run their lines with any kind of consistent off set or buried depth. Hell, even the gas company does not know in a lot of cases and need to use electronic locators. Mind you, these locators are pretty much useless if there are a *bleep* of UG utilities in the immediate area unless there is a tracer wire installed.

Having said that, the contractor in question should be hand digging if it was known that a gas line is in proximity. Did he know?

Never rely on Fortis's record drawings. Ever.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

the truth wrote:really so who is this loser that works for the city of kelowna -says it all does it not he works for the city of kelowna just another clown https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205314 did he not even look at the map before he started digging guess not

BTW, they use drawings and plans not Maps. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 30th, 2017, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

City of Kelowna is a member of BCOneCall so it's possible they utilized the service. It wouldn't be the first time that plans aren't correct.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

slootman wrote:Did you even read the article? He doesn't work for the city, he's a contractor. Nobody was hurt. Accidents happen and worksafe will review it.

Says it all does it not - b :cuss: and moan without even bothering to read beyond a headline.

I beg to differ. The city is the prime on any job within city limits and therefore it is the city's responsibility to provide all the details of all hazards that "may" be present. Known and unknown. The city has been caught before not doing their due diligence and Worksafe slapped their hand to a tune of $75K. I believe if you follow this story to the end, you will see the city will also be held accountable. It's quite possible the contractor was working from old or incomplete drawings, and the city engineers should know better. Should be fun to watch the fall out.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

The city is not the prime contractor on that job, the contractor on site is. They would of signed a document stating as much
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

dirtguy wrote:The city is not the prime contractor on that job, the contractor on site is. They would of signed a document stating as much

That is certainly plausible, but the city is the owner and what I said applies to them as owner.

Return to “Central Okanagan”