LSIB to restore Burial Site.

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

LSIB to restore Burial Site.

Post by Symbonite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... urial-site

I wonder how many other construction or landowners have found artifacts and said nothing because the fear of having the land under a whole bunch of red tape.

At the same time how does the owner of said orchard know that there was something there. It has been there for a thousand years and no one knew about it including the band. But now they know they want all rights or to leave it there?

Anyways the old saying goes...what you dont know doesnt hurt you.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
driveangry
Übergod

Re: LSIB to restore Burial Site.

Post by driveangry »

Who said the land owner didn't know it was there ???

Who said it's been there a thousand years ??
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

People don't say anything because of the confrontational attitude of the bands.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

So many unknowns here:

Was the land in question part of an area in dispute? There are so many unresolved land claims with the Indiginous people.

If this land was not in dispute because of a land claim, I think it would be fair to work this out with a mediator and draw up a contract to let the Natives in a timely manner excavate what they need to and respectfully bury their ancestors.

We don't have to lead with our chins all the time, have a respectful dialogue, this isn't an everyday occurrence and extraordinary circumstances sometimes require us to pause and just treat each other with dignity.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:So many unknowns here:

All the information is out there. Castanet is very sloppy at reporting, leaving out information.

This is not a land claim issue.

The site is a documented cemetery. Like many other sites in the area it was plowed over by a previous owner.

In the beginning the home owner was very accommodating. That changed. The Cristy Clark government created the problem by refusing to deal with it according to law.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

cr125 wrote:People don't say anything because of the confrontational attitude of the bands.

There was NO confrontation, the home owner was very accommodating at first. His lawyer is the problem and the previous government was but the New government has promised to resolve it.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Symbonite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/205548/LSIB-to-restore-burial-site

At the same time how does the owner of said orchard know that there was something there. It has been there for a thousand years and no one knew about it including the band. But now they know they want all rights or to leave it there?

The band is and was well aware of the site, and many more that were illegally destroyed. It is a documented cemetery.
Last edited by driveangry on Aug 31st, 2017, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Ya, the story had a lot of holes.

I think this can be resolved respectfully, it is indeed a shame for both sides and a little temperance should be in order.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I find it interesting that all the chiefs in the area were at the rally. Ones I like, don't know, and hate. If all of them get together on a single issue I have to question how the land owner could come out of this on the good end. Seems a united front and a new left wing government will beat 1 landowner. Right or wrong I think it's a fait acommpli that he will lose.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

driveangry wrote:
cr125 wrote:People don't say anything because of the confrontational attitude of the bands.

There was NO confrontation, the home owner was very accommodating at first. His lawyer is the problem and the previous government was but the New government has promised to resolve it.

when ever I see a news clip concerning the bands, its a certain chief, that is always combative and confrontational, i'll let you figure out which one.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

You know I was going to ask if he was in attendance. Thanks for the confirmation. Now that I know I really have no interest in this thread.
billdean

Post by billdean »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2017, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Bigdaddy2290

Post by Bigdaddy2290 »

This is such a bizarre thread - check your brains at the door?
Bones of relatives !! Buried with a ceremony by people that loved them. Belief in the hereafter......why can we not treat that with respect.
The whole issue is confrontational (lead by the Chiefs) because of the ignorance shown by a FEW non-natives. Show me where your grandmother is buried so I can go dig her up and take her bones to the dump. Fairplay?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

If this was a documented burial site, a previous landowner had already plowed over it and this was known by the LSIB, how did the new owner come into possession and title of this property with no knowledge of the burial site??? While burial sites deserve the utmost of respect, I have to think that this site fell through the cracks of both the Gov't and the LSIB and the innocent current landowner is going to pay the price for it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

twobits wrote:If this was a documented burial site, a previous landowner had already plowed over it and this was known by the LSIB, how did the new owner come into possession and title of this property with no knowledge of the burial site??? While burial sites deserve the utmost of respect, I have to think that this site fell through the cracks of both the Gov't and the LSIB and the innocent current landowner is going to pay the price for it.

Yep

Return to “South Okanagan”