When truckers flick their butt.

Green-light
Fledgling

When truckers flick their butt.

Post by Green-light »

I once knew a guy that drove a recycling truck. His truck was modified to carry stacks of flattened cardboard.
One morning while on his rounds, he finished a smoke and gave it his usual toss. He told me later that he was so used to tossing his butt, that he didn't even consider the potential dangers...until.

By the time he noticed his load was aflame, it was too late.

That incident was brought back to me as soon as I saw this report and video.

YOU be the judge.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/205324/lumber-truck-up-in-flames

A tractor-trailer hauling lumber caught fire on the Coquihalla Highway Tuesday morning.

Video from the scene shows the B-train semi blocking the right lane, with flames coming from its load.

DriveBC says the highway is closed southbound at Exit 202.

The incident occurred near Shylock Road and the Great Bear snowshed.

Contractors are en route to assist with the incident.

There are no details at this time on what caused the vehicle to catch fire.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: When truckers flick their butt.

Post by Woodenhead »

It was probably a meteorite.
Your bias suits you.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

My first thought was overheated brakes. But what do I know? :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

I considered the overheated brakes.
Pretty hard for a solid "spark" to get up over the tires, out to the side enough to get up and over the top edge of the flatdeck and start a fire so close to the front of the load.
In my opinion, the likelihood of this fire being caused by brake issues is slim.
At highway speed, anything coming off the brakes would almost certainly have cleared the distance to clear the load entirely, or at the very least, embed closer to the rear of the load.
If a lit butt was tossed, the currents would most definitely carry that lit butt closer to what appears to be the point of origin than a piece of brake material flying off the wheels under the deck of the trailer.

It will be interesting to see a flow up to this story. If it does get revealed that this was caused by a tossed butt, then that driver should get the full extent.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i saw metal trailer burn up just outside hope from brakes . it burnt from front back
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Green-light wrote:I considered the overheated brakes.
Pretty hard for a solid "spark" to get up over the tires, out to the side enough to get up and over the top edge of the flatdeck and start a fire so close to the front of the load.

In my opinion, the likelihood of this fire being caused by brake issues is slim.
At highway speed, anything coming off the brakes would almost certainly have cleared the distance to clear the load entirely, or at the very least, embed closer to the rear of the load.
If a lit butt was tossed, the currents would most definitely carry that lit butt closer to what appears to be the point of origin than a piece of brake material flying off the wheels under the deck of the trailer.

It will be interesting to see a flow up to this story. If it does get revealed that this was caused by a tossed butt, then that driver should get the full extent.

Then you've never witnessed a loaded semi with overheating brakes on a downhill slope. It's not sparks that make their way into the cargo - it's open flame as metal becomes molten hot due to the friction.

smoking on decent

truck on fire

instructional video
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Brakes heated up, and caught on fire then into the load. Ive seen it happen a few times over the years.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”