Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

gsc
Board Meister

Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Post by gsc »

So the province kicking in $6 million to convert a former motel into social housing.

This is to help provide additional housing and support for individuals who have been homeless, or who are at risk of homelessness, in Kelowna.

The money will go towards the purchase and renovation of the Kelowna Good Night Inn, located at 2639 Highway 97 North.

I for one am not comfortable with a bunch of homeless people 4 minutes away from my home. If it's low income that's one thing but if it's gonna turn into a full on homeless camp that's a whole new can of worms.

I also don't want to see this turn into just a 42 unit drug convention. I am hoping it is monitored regularly and that no issues arise.

I guess only time will tell to see what this brings in for people. I'm trying to look at this as a positive but am a little concerned.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Re: Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Post by motokelowna1 »

Would be great if there's an agreement that if they break protocols out they go .
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

motokelowna1 wrote:Would be great if there's an agreement that if they break protocols out they go .

Yeah that would be nice and I fully agree
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The article I read does mention that the site will be staffed 24/7. I'm not certain the Residential Tenancy Act applies to this sort of resource, so it might be easier for them to remove problem individuals than it would be if this were a regular apartment building.

I'd be dreading this too, if they were just going to be picking up the worst of the worst and giving them a place to party. I'm not cynical enough to think that's what it will be. I guess I'll either be proven right, or wrong.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we all know by now these places turn into 24/7 crack shacks and once again ,of all places in rutland :-X on top of the fact that the freedoms door junkie rehab will be just a few blocks away --wow just wow :200: :-X when these two places are up and running you can bet crime in rutland will skyrocket :-X
once again city of kelowna seems to think rutland will slove all of its problems

got to feel sorry for the business and homes in that area --as they say ,there goes the neighbourhood
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Just one more step of turning a family community into a slum.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I have tried to think of a positive but all your comments are so very true. I can think of many other places something like this could go.

I think it would have been a great idea for them to place it right beside or across from the new RCMP station. This way they are already right there to catch all the future drug dealers.

This new place is only 4 minutes away from my house according to google maps. That is an extremely uncomfortable feeling as we already have a fair amount of crime in our area.

I get all of Kelowna has crime but wow. This crap has to stop and needs to start being put to a vote by the residents in that area.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how about the motel on hwy 97 and spall behind the chevron station instead,they could fix that up real nice for 6 million that they will be spending to fix the other place instead :up:

why not city hall
Last edited by the truth on Sep 2nd, 2017, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I also have a problem with the fact that I have a 9 and 14 year old that will now half to watch all of this.

The other problem is. Who would be comfortable letting there kids play in the front yard with drug addicts, dealers and homeless walking by all hours of the day and night.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

gsc wrote:I also have a problem with the fact that I have a 9 and 14 year old that will now half to watch all of this.

The other problem is. Who would be comfortable letting there kids play in the front yard with drug addicts, dealers and homeless walking by all hours of the day and night.

Honestly...I HATE that I am going to say this because is sounds so judgemental and I am a very empathetic person, however, if it were me I would sell. I know that's easier said than done sometimes but I would. Forget all the 'potential' social issues, that aside, the reality is there will likely be RE impacts going forward (if not already so) so my advice if you can sell now.
Oh and...I agree with you 100% should be located beside the RCMP detachment mostly I say that so home owners are not affected but they would never do that because that's prime RE.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Temet Nosce wrote:
gsc wrote:I also have a problem with the fact that I have a 9 and 14 year old that will now half to watch all of this.

Honestly...I HATE that I am going to say this because is sounds so judgemental and I am a very empathetic person, however, if it were me I would sell. I know that's easier said than done sometimes but I would. Forget all the 'potential' social issues, that aside, the reality is there will likely be RE impacts going forward (if not already so) so my advice if you can sell now.
Oh and...I agree with you 100% should be located beside the RCMP detachment mostly I say that so home owners are not affected but they would never do that because that's prime RE.

Unfortunately selling is not in my cards so I will half to deal with it. Thankfully our home already has 24 hour video surveillance and we are in the process of upgradeing.

That's the best we can do. That way if something happens we have it on cam.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

yeah lets put a bunch of mentally ill homeless people 2 blocks away from hein road .that should solve all the problems.i feel bad for the people who work at the petro can and a&w/starbucks.they are going to be dealing with a gong show
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

voice of reason wrote:yeah lets put a bunch of mentally ill homeless people 2 blocks away from hein road .that should solve all the problems.i feel bad for the people who work at the petro can and a&w/starbucks.they are going to be dealing with a gong show

Can tell you the 'geographical cure doesn't work' so irrelevant. If one wants to use they will regardless. So what's your suggestion? I feel worse for home owners then business operations. I don't know where Hein road is assuming that's near RCMP?

Oh sorry/...my mistake just looked it up I thought you meant shouldn't be near RCMP.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If you don't know where hein rd is, or its history you probably don't have a qualified comment for this thread.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Bman wrote:If you don't know where hein rd is, or its history you probably don't have a qualified comment for this thread.

Perhaps you are correct Bman...if the criteria to comment on this thread is possessing knowledge of Hein Rd and the history of that area then I agree I am not "qualified". My comments were generated entirely from the OP's post and past experience with the operation, management, and planning for different community based services being located in multiple communities across BC (in residential areas).

Return to “Central Okanagan”