Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Re: Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Post by Temet Nosce »

Bman wrote:If you don't know where hein rd is, or its history you probably don't have a qualified comment for this thread.

BTW I am always up for new learning so I put it out there genuinely... please feel free to enlighten me on the area and history of Hein Road that is relevant to this thread and OP's concerns.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

The road bman is talking about is a dump. They have been trying to clean it up but nonetheless it's a dump.

The road is also full of drug user's, dealers, and many pety thives.

A quick Google search of "Hein Rd Kelowna" will fill you in pretty quick. The first thing that pops up is murder on Hein Rd.

The list is endless for that place I have driven by there many times. In my opinion it needs a real face lift by a d11 bulldozer.
shasam

Top Re: Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Post by shasam »

:dash:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

voice of reason wrote:yeah lets put a bunch of mentally ill homeless people 2 blocks away from hein road .that should solve all the problems.i feel bad for the people who work at the petro can and a&w/starbucks.they are going to be dealing with a gong show

and then some,,,,,,,,,,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

gsc wrote:The road bman is talking about is a dump. They have been trying to clean it up but nonetheless it's a dump.

The road is also full of drug user's, dealers, and many pety thives.

A quick Google search of "Hein Rd Kelowna" will fill you in pretty quick. The first thing that pops up is murder on Hein Rd.

The list is endless for that place I have driven by there many times. In my opinion it needs a real face lift by a d11 bulldozer.

Thxs.... every community has a Hein road unfortunately and often the targeted area in a community for these (and similar) projects--path of least resistance (usually) and cheaper RE.

Back to your concern though .If staffed, programming often includes rules enforced eg., curfews, sobriety, no visitors in units etc etc. And staff are typically very concerned about respecting the neighbors and community with strict enforcement to maintain peaceful living. So if you are staying and I think you said 4 minutes away... should be ok. I still have concerns for homeowners about 'RE values.... and that's the reason I would sell but that's just IMO.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/442495433.html

As the OP did not provide a link, I posted the only one I could find above.

Locally the CMHA has a good reputation for its residential programs and those they contract with. Hopefully this continues with the new residence. Not all homeless or those on the verge of becoming homeless are drug users. Some have lost their housing and don't have the funds to secure another home. When you don't have a home, everything else in your life if difficult to maintain. Let's hope this residence serves those needing stability that want to move forward to a more active participation in mainstream society.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Link very helpful...thxs!!
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

sounds like the usual hopeful liberal BS to me.yeah there will be staff and rules but mentally ill people dont care about the rule like normal people do.what exactly is the staff going to do to stop people from walking 2 blocks away and scoring drugs on hein road? that whole neighborhood is a craphole from als cottages to hein .i feel bad for the people who live in that area.they just imported a whole load of problem people on the bottom of leathead and the top of mccurdy.there is a whole lot of families living in that area who dont deserve to have the dregs of society dumped in their laps. for years they have been trying to clean up rutlands image and get rid of the crack hotels on 97.this pretty much is a step backwards.how would you like to book a trip to kelowna and end up staying at days inn to have a hotel full of mental patients 2 doors down? we need to be cleaning this city up not spreading the crap around and having the government pay for it
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

despite efforts to change the image rutland will always remain a dump when the govt and city choose to use it as a giant toilet
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Just wondering where you guys think this should go? I've seen people upset that it shouldn't be in a nice family area but also that it shouldn't be close to a bad street. Should we segregate the poor and mentally ill away from the rest of us? Because we all know segregation has a great history.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Jonrox wrote:Just wondering where you guys think this should go? I've seen people upset that it shouldn't be in a nice family area but also that it shouldn't be close to a bad street. Should we segregate the poor and mentally ill away from the rest of us? Because we all know segregation has a great history.

I posted where I think it should go. Right beside or across from the rcmp station
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

This is social housing all over Kelowna. While there are some areas of Rutland that could use some revitalization, it is not a dump! Most areas of Rutland are filled with ordinary people who manage their lives and keep their properties the same as anywhere else in Kelowna.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Piecemaker wrote:This is social housing all over Kelowna. While there are some areas of Rutland that could use some revitalization, it is not a dump! Most areas of Rutland are filled with ordinary people who manage their lives and keep their properties the same as anywhere else in Kelowna.

I never said ruttland was a dump. I live on a very nice looking street as well and would like it to stay that way.

I said Hein was dump. That's one street of thousands in Kelowna
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

voice of reason wrote:despite efforts to change the image rutland will always remain a dump when the govt and city choose to use it as a giant toilet

I wasn't responding to you, gsc!

I used to live in Rutland for many years and know many people who live there. I take umbrage to those who think they are too good to live in Rutland and that it is a "dump". You can't judge a community by a few run-down areas. Many posters on this board would be shocked to know that there are criminals and drug users in EVERY part of Kelowna. At least the ones in Rutland are easier to see and avoid than in the so-called high-class neighbourhoods of Kelowna!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

voice of reason wrote:sounds like the usual hopeful liberal BS to me.yeah there will be staff and rules but mentally ill people dont care about the rule like normal people do.what exactly is the staff going to do to stop people from walking 2 blocks away and scoring drugs on hein road? that whole neighborhood is a craphole from als cottages to hein .i feel bad for the people who live in that area.they just imported a whole load of problem people on the bottom of leathead and the top of mccurdy.there is a whole lot of families living in that area who dont deserve to have the dregs of society dumped in their laps. for years they have been trying to clean up rutlands image and get rid of the crack hotels on 97.this pretty much is a step backwards.how would you like to book a trip to kelowna and end up staying at days inn to have a hotel full of mental patients 2 doors down? we need to be cleaning this city up not spreading the crap around and having the government pay for it

100% correct................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”