BC Wildfires... A Solution?

KenL

BC Wildfires... A Solution?

Post by KenL »

This is said to be the most expensive and extensive wildfire season ever in British Columbia and the costs are staggering. Wildfires have literally burned up over $400 Million in taxpayer money to defend our precious and valuable forests.

We can't stop lightning from striking, so many of the fires are simply natural occurrences. Everyone in BC and visitors to the province are all well aware that over 40% of these fires are human caused. Some by accident but mostly from stupid and careless cigarette tossing.

These boneheads who are throwing out burning butts will never stop doing so, no matter how much attention the problem raises. They can be called lazy, or irresponsible, or slobs... pick one. But attempts at education and fines are not the solution.

The solution is: User Pay. Yes, make each and every smoker take a share in the annual fire fighting costs.

Quick math; 10% or 400,000 BC residents smoke and consume 90 Million packs of cigarettes per year. I suggest the price of a pack of cigarettes should be increased by $2 immediately. It would be a surcharge directed solely into the forestry budget.

I doubt such an increase would inspire any smokers to stop smoking, but it would certainly raise $180 Million for the province to direct into wildfire fighting.

That $180 Million is almost exactly equal to the annual wildfire fighting expenses passed on to all BC taxpayers, but caused by smokers.

The butt tossers will never be stopped, but at least they can become the financial solution to the problem.

KenL in Kelowna.
featfan
Guru

Re: BC Wildfires... A Solution?

Post by featfan »

I like it Ken and I smoke.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

actually the real solution is to go back to doing prescribed burns and clean up the fuel that's on the ground until that starts happening this trend will continue. Those who complain about the smoke from doing prescribed burns are really paying the price all summer long now.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

LTD wrote:actually the real solution is to go back to doing prescribed burns and clean up the fuel that's on the ground until that starts happening this trend will continue. Those who complain about the smoke from doing prescribed burns are really paying the price all summer long now.

this is the real solution but im ok with putting a surcharge on smokers too
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I'm ok with that to but I also know that not a nickel of that revenue would end up helping fire efforts in any way so it would just end up being another tax and I don't support that, I suppose if ya want to go down that slippery slope any one wishing to access the back country for any reason should be required to buy a twenty dollar pass (tax) since just as many fires are started from campfires being left.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

imagine how far that 400 million woulda went doing prescribed burns and clean up in interface areas.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

where does it end. we have seen how many campfires left burning or started when theres a ban. so we going to issue permits to go into the backcountry ? with a surcharge ? exhaust from atv can cause fires so surcharge for those as well. train brakes can cause fires so surcharge on cn and cp . we have seen semi trucks catching fire. surcharge on anything coming by semi ?

noooool. the answer is controlled burns and clearing fuel away from your house city towns. we have to get use to the idea we cant live with interfaces being as close as they are now . its trouble waiting to happen .
eliecer

Post by eliecer »

Imagine placing a rather ordinary infrared astronomy satellite into geosynchronous orbit, where it can hover above a fixed geographic longitude and study a portion of the Earth 24/7. Astronomical satellites are exceedingly sensitive! and, when the system processes the information, it could sense the outbreak of wildfires very early in their growth, when they are easier to contain and manage.

Well, the system has been under development for years but they have not received enough funds to complete the project. The question is why?

This is the link: http://fuego.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Return to “Central Okanagan”