Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

gsc
Board Meister

Re: Province paying for more social housing in Kelowna

Post by gsc »

Either way I am not comfortable with this in my neighborhood or close to it. I honestly don't care if it's monitored as that still doesn't make me feel any better about it.

No one in the area was asked if had any opinions on this as it will effect many.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

gsc wrote:Either way I am not comfortable with this in my neighborhood or close to it. I honestly don't care if it's monitored as that still doesn't make me feel any better about it.

No one in the area was asked if had any opinions on this as it will effect many.

correct and what does that tell us :-X :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Temet Nosce wrote:Nope different. This thread is just deteriorating now. Carry on.

deteriorating into what now? how people actually feel about this instead of how you want people to feel about this?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

The Central Green apartment managed by the Ki-low-na Friendship Centre is not a staffed facility. It has an office for building manager and janitor. It is affordable housing only. It's not even considered low-income housing. It's like some other apartment buildings in Kelowna.
An example of staffed housing would be the NOW Canada building on Tutt Street. There are also other MH facilities in Kelowna that are staffed.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

gsc wrote:So the province kicking in $6 million to convert a former motel into social housing.

This is to help provide additional housing and support for individuals who have been homeless, or who are at risk of homelessness, in Kelowna.

The money will go towards the purchase and renovation of the Kelowna Good Night Inn, located at 2639 Highway 97 North.

I for one am not comfortable with a bunch of homeless people 4 minutes away from my home. If it's low income that's one thing but if it's gonna turn into a full on homeless camp that's a whole new can of worms.

I also don't want to see this turn into just a 42 unit drug convention. I am hoping it is monitored regularly and that no issues arise.

I guess only time will tell to see what this brings in for people. I'm trying to look at this as a positive but am a little concerned.

Wow, misinformed or what. By comparison Kelowna General Hospital sits in a neighbourhood of fine desirable homes in Kelowna south.
There is a whole ward full of patients with mental heath, drug dependency and other physical issues housed within this beautiful area. There are also criminals seeking treatment for gunshot and stab wounds. People are coming and going all day and night and you are concerned about a handful of residents who desire to be integrated back into society by moving into a converted motel on a well lighted highway with 24 hr monitoring?
I see this as a win win for the community and the individuals who are doing the best they can despite the labels that are being pasted on them. These are people who need a chance to show they are like all of us who only want the best.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”