BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Cactusflower
Banned

BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Post by Cactusflower »

Surprise, surprise! Guess they couldn't find anyone else foolish enough or egotistical enough to think the Okanagan electorate will continue to keep their heads buried in the sand forever.

Good old Ben stepped down last time in order to stroke Christy' ego. In return he got a plum position that required him to do nothing for a larger salary than he was getting as an MLA. Then just before this last election he resigns from his 'post'. Hmmm......could he have been forewarned about Christy' demise?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: BC Liberals nominate Ben Stewart

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Damned if they do - damned if they don't. That's the funny thing about politics - if it isn't their party, don't expect anyone to voice a positive reaction to anything the opposing party does. Ben's an incredibly astute businessman with very deep roots locally that happens to be a Liberal. If the Liberals aren't your cup of tea, that's fine. Clarke's out and someone has to replace her. There are any number of choices that are far worse than Ben. I for one am happy to see someone with his qualifications and local connections get the party's nod. Wise choice.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Wow so astute an other silver spoon fed baby
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Lol - I rest my case.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i voted for this jackass once and he turned around and *bleep* on my vote.never again will i vote for ben stewart
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I have always been bothered by elected officials when they, quit right after they have been elected to allow another to run in their "safe" riding. Another occurrence is an elected official who either changes parties or drops their party affiliation during their tenure.

My concern in regards to changing affiation is generated by the many who vote for a party, not the individual. They voted for Smith a Member of the Liberals, who then sits as an NDP.

(No that didn't happen here)

Also, the cost when an elected candidate resigns.

In this case not only did we have Stewart quit and cost us a by election, but now Clark quitting and again another. Not to mention the cost of the cushie job (the political pay off) again at the expense of we the tax payer.

The questions,,, has Stewart demonstrated his affiliation to the electorate ? or just the party ? Having demonstrated this does he deserve to be voted in again ?

Should the Liberal party, that have a huge war chest for electioneering, pay the costs for in the least the by elections ?

Maybe instead of a cushie "job" paid for by the tax payer, Stewart should have been given a Liberal party "job", paid for by the Liberal party. They seemed to have access to enough free cash to pay a significant "bonus" to Clark.
Last edited by my5cents on Sep 3rd, 2017, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

my5cents wrote:I have always been bothered by elected officials when they, quit right after they have even elected to allow another to run in their "safe" riding. Another occurrence is an elected official who either changes parties or drops their party affiliation during their tenure.

My concern in regards to changing affiation is generated by the many who vote for a party, not the individual. They voted for Smith a Member of the Liberals, who then sits as an NDP.

(No that didn't happen here)

Also, the cost when an elected candidate resigns.

In this case not only did we have Stewart quit and cost us a by election, but now Clark quitting and again another. Not to mention the cost of the cushie job (the political pay off) again at the expense of we the tax payer.

The questions,,, has Stewart demonstrated his affiliation to the electorate ? or just the party ? Having demonstrated this does he deserve to be voted in again ?

Should the Liberal party, that have a huge war chest for electioneering, pay the costs for in the least the by elections ?

Maybe instead of a cushie "job" paid for by the tax payer, Stewart should have been given a Liberal party "job", paid for by the Liberal party. They seemed to have access to enough free cash to pay a significant "bonus" to Clark.

To answer your questions:
The candidate has to show an affiliation to the party first....to get nominated. Then to the electorate, if they get elected.
The people who show up to vote in an election will determine who is deserving of being voted in.
No. The liberal party should not bear the costs, any more than the Ndp would in the same situation.
You and 71 others Like this post
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LANDM wrote:To answer your questions:
The candidate has to show an affiliation to the party first....to get nominated. Then to the electorate, if they get elected.
The people who show up to vote in an election will determine who is deserving of being voted in.
No. The liberal party should not bear the costs, any more than the Ndp would in the same situation.

So while running, a candidate has no affiliation to the electorate ? "Then to the electorate, if they get elected" ???

In a lot of cases that is completely correct that a candidate has no affiliation to the electorate before they get elected, sadly many don't even after. That, is perhaps why they take resigning to let a leader run in their safe riding, so well.

So what about the candidate that, after being elected, crosses the floor, or sits as an independent ?

"The people who show up to vote..... will determine who is deserving to be voted in."
No, they determine who is elected, period.

My comments were directed at the Liberal party in this circumstance, because this involves Liberals, BUT my comments concerned every and all parties, so don't get your shirt in a knot.

Your comments, of course, are your opinions.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Ben Stewart is a well-liked and respected individual by those that know him. He is a good choice as a Liberal candidate and will probably be re-elected. Voters that are annoyed at him for letting Clark have his seat, will still vote for him or not vote at all. They aren't going to switch parties by the hordes and swing the vote. Voters in that riding re-elected Clark, so they will vote for Stewart.
Costs for a by-election are born by the taxpayer. That's how it should be.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Ben Stewart will always reek of the self-serving stench of Christy Clark!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I disagree. Those of Liberal persuasion are not going to hold it against him that he gave up his seat for their party leader.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Piecemaker wrote:I disagree. Those of Liberal persuasion are not going to hold it against him that he gave up his seat for their party leader.

then thst is a failing of them voters and shows no back bone
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

All parties do it, always have, always will.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Cactusflower wrote:Surprise, surprise! Guess they couldn't find anyone else foolish enough or egotistical enough to think the Okanagan electorate will continue to keep their heads buried in the sand forever.

Good old Ben stepped down last time in order to stroke Christy' ego. In return he got a plum position that required him to do nothing for a larger salary than he was getting as an MLA. Then just before this last election he resigns from his 'post'. Hmmm......could he have been forewarned about Christy' demise?

And the very best part is, he's going to whoop your NDP candidate's sorry butt in the by-election. Too bad so sad for the NDP clowns that keep thinking some union chump/chumpette has any chance against a smart, well-liked, hard-working businessman with strong family ties to the local area.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Central Okanagan”