Smoking Scofflaws

Opeeved
Fledgling

Re: Smoking Scofflaws

Post by Opeeved »

MrSandman wrote:was JUST coming here to post that story (different link)

and the man admitted it was his second time being caught for the offence

:cuss: that guy, he should have his car impounded and charged with arson piece of :cuss: human

This attitude is why I just don't care about people and their thoughts sometimes. (Not just on the board here)
Just a little overboard, don't ya think? I think so. This guy probably thinks so too
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

If you are a smoker, create your own ashtray in your vehicle. Lack of an ashtray is a poor excuse for tossing a butt out the window. My car doesn't come with a garbage can, so I guess I can toss trash out the window! I've known some smokers who regularly tossed their butts out their car window because they didn't want to have to clean out their ashtray.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

There are good smokers but there are a terrible number of idiots that think it is just their right. They don't care where they smoke or where they leave their butts. I spent time around the Kelowna hospital last year before, during and after my hip replacement. I don't believe there was one time when I was going in or out the front door that there wasn't at least one idiot smoking right beside the no smoking signs. It's no wonder so many hate it when there are so many fools that just can't listen. Maybe the smoke affects their brains or maybe smokers don't have too many to begin with.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

A friend of mine invented a new slogan regarding those who throw ciggie butts and all manner of garbage out of car windows, etc.Start referring to them, not as 'litter bugs', but 'litter losers'. Nobody likes being called a loser. Would that be effective? I doubt it.

I'm still driving my 11-year od Chevy, so don't know whether the new cars have ashtrays or not, but since all the do-gooders in the world are not going to make our planet smoke-free, I suggest those auto manufacturers start installing ashtrays in their vehicles again. If they don't, then it's up to the individual smoker to fashion some sort of ashtray to keep in the car.

Having said that, I'm convinced that very few forest fires are caused by cigarette butts. It's been my experience from years of hiking in the back country that people who leave campfires unextinguished are the biggest offenders. There should be a study done on human-caused wildfires.

As far as the cigarette butt nuisance in parking lots or city streets is concerned, it is what it is. There will always be litterers in the world, and so far no one has thought of an effective way to cure them of their slovenly behaviour, but unless they're causing irreparable damage, there's really not much that can be done.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

There is no excuse and blaming car manufactures for lack of ash trays is ridiculous.You can go to the dollar store and buy one .
Ash tray
Ash tray
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

My old Chevy has one of those things. I thought it was put there by the manufacturer, but it must have been put there by the previous owner.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Cactusflower wrote:A friend of mine invented a new slogan regarding those who throw ciggie butts and all manner of garbage out of car windows, etc.Start referring to them, not as 'litter bugs', but 'litter losers'. Nobody likes being called a loser. Would that be effective? I doubt it.

I'm still driving my 11-year od Chevy, so don't know whether the new cars have ashtrays or not, but since all the do-gooders in the world are not going to make our planet smoke-free, I suggest those auto manufacturers start installing ashtrays in their vehicles again. If they don't, then it's up to the individual smoker to fashion some sort of ashtray to keep in the car.

Having said that, I'm convinced that very few forest fires are caused by cigarette butts. It's been my experience from years of hiking in the back country that people who leave campfires unextinguished are the biggest offenders. There should be a study done on human-caused wildfires.

As far as the cigarette butt nuisance in parking lots or city streets is concerned, it is what it is. There will always be litterers in the world, and so far no one has thought of an effective way to cure them of their slovenly behaviour, but unless they're causing irreparable damage, there's really not much that can be done.

Considering the number of wild fires that have started right beside roadways, on days when there was no lightening, there must me a lot of people leaving campfires burning at the sides of roads.

Your hiking in the back country doesn't really shed light on fires that start at the sides of roadways.

As for auto makers having some onus to provide receptacles for smoking material, do we also require them to provide garbage cans, for the thoughtless automobile occupants that throw trash out ?

Let's place the blame where it belongs.

Really, a study on human caused wild fires ??
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Of course. We need to have some answers before attaching blame to any particular group of irresponsible humans.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Considering the number of wild fires that have started right beside roadways, on days when there was no lightening, there must me a lot of people leaving campfires burning at the sides of roads.

Your hiking in the back country doesn't really shed light on fires that start at the sides of roadways.

As for auto makers having some onus to provide receptacles for smoking material, do we also require them to provide garbage cans, for the thoughtless automobile occupants that throw trash out ?

Let's place the blame where it belongs.

Really, a study on human caused wild fires ??
[/quote]

Don't forget the vehicles parked on the side of the road IN THE DRY GRASS so they can text!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I don't care what it is - butts, food wrappers, water bottles, cardboard drink containers, Styrofoam, bottles, cans, etc - you are a pig to drop stuff ANYWHERE except in proper garbage or recycle containers!!

Parents: Teach your children well!!!
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I was very happy yesterday at a family gathering with 18 people, 4 generations, 2 children, present. One of whom who was 2 years, three months old was the only one that littered and actually helped her mother pick up. No smoking (3 past smokers), no drugs and alcohol consisted of 2 drinking small amounts of beer and a bit of wine at supper. Everyone had a ball without the necessity of mind altering or addictive substances. So much more pleasant and a good time was had by all.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Smurf wrote:I was very happy yesterday at a family gathering with 18 people, 4 generations, 2 children, present. One of whom who was 2 years, three months old was the only one that littered and actually helped her mother pick up. No smoking (3 past smokers), no drugs and alcohol consisted of 2 drinking small amounts of beer and a bit of wine at supper. Everyone had a ball without the necessity of mind altering or addictive substances. So much more pleasant and a good time was had by all.

I get your point, but what really
Is your point with this post? I can assume or make
Supposition, but really, youre transcribing what you believe how people should behave. Fair enough, I get that too. I've been to those type events, I've also been to drunken familiial parties. I'm just asking because in appearance you're judging :130: :up:
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

Back to topic. I won't apologize for who I am. That'll never happen. But, when I'm about about to put my smoke out in Mr car ashtray, scofflaw judgers pop in my head and I throw it out the window just to pee you off. I know it's wrong, I do it anyway. I also don't really care, because I can come to "your house" and cast stones. Because we're all human and fallible.

That's my :cuss: you all, for the day.

Please, carry on :)
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Here's a TV interview with the now infamous Victoria driver, who recently contributed generously to the province's general revenue, after 'flicking his butt'...

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/that-cigarette-butt-was-out-man-fined-575-for-wildfire-act-violation-speaks-out-1.3572767

I know it's not nice to judge a book by its cover, but this guy doesn't seem like the brightest bulb on the tree. I could be wrong -- he might be a brilliant engineer or something... The fact is, it doesn't matter if the butt was out or not. You can't expect a police officer, upon seeing a butt flicked out a car window, to first stop, find, and examine the butt to see if it's still hot, before having a word with the driver. The law doesn't say it's okay to flick butts as long as they were just squeezed out. Squeezing out a butt as he demonstrated, should be considered 'distracted driving', especially if he burns his fingers or showers his lap with burning embers.

I'll bet now that he's received his 2nd ticket for this, he'll think twice before flicking another.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OldIslander wrote:I'll bet now that he's received his 2nd ticket for this, he'll think twice before flicking another.

I suspect he will just be more careful to check for Cops before flicking his butts and not stop at all.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “B.C.”