Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 4th, 2017, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Actually JL makes some good points. I am generally supportive of supported transitional housing. I have empathy for the neighbours in this situation. I think the location could be better. Closer to town centre, rather than smack dab in the middle of one or two-story family homes. Land could have been swapped. I'm sure the City owns some.

And like Bman says, it seems like it was a done deal made before consultation and consideration for those affected by it.
Last edited by Piecemaker on Sep 4th, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

*removed* I'm asking for a valid reason why it matters if there is a school in the area. I would have no issue with this facility being next to my home or my kid's school.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 4th, 2017, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Piecemaker wrote:Actually JL makes some good points. I am generally supportive of supported transitional housing. I have empathy for the neighbours in this situation. I think the location could be better. Closer to town centre, rather than smack dab in the middle of one or two-story family homes. Land could have been swapped. I'm sure the City owns some.

And like Bman says, it seems like it was a done deal made before consultation and consideration for those affected by it.

I do see there being a need to be closer to facilities without needing to rely on transportation.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed* and fyi its not just 1 school
Last edited by ferri on Sep 4th, 2017, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

the truth wrote: *removed* and fyi its not just 1 school

So what? It doesn't matter if it's 10 schools. It doesn't matter that there is a school there at all.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

There's a good chance there's a drug addict or two living next to, or across from, the schools now. I don't think the proximity to a school is a good reason to oppose the facility. It's pretty difficult to go anywhere in Kelowna and not be reasonably close to a school. Those living right near it are going to take a hit on their house values. Perhaps they should be compensated by Freedom's Door! Or Freedom's Door should sell their other residences and buy the ones directly affected by their new building!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I've always endeavored to expose my kid to what she should aspire to, not what she shouldn't.

Sometimes B , a bad example is the best one you can give them ...

Seems to have worked fine so far.

My kids don't like drugs because they see what it does to people first hand... In your own words ..

Seems to have worked fine so far.

That and the fact that I'd kick their *bleep* *bleep* if I ever caught them using dope .

Just sayin....

But to have a 50 bed "facility" aka CRACK HOUSE built next to them is unacceptable ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 4th, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 4th, 2017, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

JLives wrote:
ferri wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/193907/Fear-over-recovery-house

Sounds like the neighbours are just b*cthing. Just more NIMBYism. Can anyone give a valid argument for why a school zone makes any difference at all to this location? I'm more concerned that this is religious based. We are severely lacking secular treatment programs.

NIMBYism is the reason why junkie hotels like this are dumped into the Rutland area, and not in the more hoity toity neighborhoods in this town.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 4th, 2017, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
chell90

Post by chell90 »

I am amused by the fact that people think that this facility will become a crack house.
Educate yourselves. The current freedoms door houses are mostly peaceful and fully clean. They screen for drugs, and anyone who relapses is kicked out. And believe me, it is obvious when someone relapses, every one in the houses know about it.
These are people who are clean and deserve a chance to get back on their feet, it's needed. You'll mostly see these guys around the churches, not schools. Not to mention all the AA and NA is required to be a resident at these facilities. Children will see normal members of society tht have worked to be clean, not addicts wandering for drugs.
If you are calling it a crack house you should get in touch with the organization, they'd be happy to tell you more.
Bailey63

Post by Bailey63 »

Google "Detox is not the answer for opiate addiction". Just listen. Tell me what you think of what you heard.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

chell90 wrote:I am amused by the fact that people think that this facility will become a crack house.
Educate yourselves. The current freedoms door houses are mostly peaceful and fully clean. They screen for drugs, and anyone who relapses is kicked out. And believe me, it is obvious when someone relapses, every one in the houses know about it.
These are people who are clean and deserve a chance to get back on their feet, it's needed. You'll mostly see these guys around the churches, not schools. Not to mention all the AA and NA is required to be a resident at these facilities. Children will see normal members of society tht have worked to be clean, not addicts wandering for drugs.
If you are calling it a crack house you should get in touch with the organization, they'd be happy to tell you more.

aa and na is a joke http://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the_pse ... addiction/ https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ps/284616/

fyi they do not kick everyone out that has a relapse, empty rooms do not pay the bills, its simple math.

Return to “Central Okanagan”