Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Post by Catsumi »

If this is wrong thread, I apologize, but it seems to be the most active .

I am having a terrible time trying to post an avatar photo that I am dead set on.

I have an ipad, my photo is a screenshot. When i go to upload from the screenshot, it bounces, saying its too big.

How the devil do I downsize it? I know how to work "edit" well enough but can't figure where to downsize.The option of just attaching it and letting castanet make it fit does not work.

I don't have photobucket, etc. I should be able to do this directly from my own files, right?

Anyway, thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

If I learn something new today, the day will be considered a success.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Bsuds told you, in that other thread, to resize the pix to, I think he said, 80 x 80

Paint should be able to do that...it comes stock with windows.

If not download or use online one of the many photo enhancing programs...google resize photos
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thanks for reply. No PAINT that i know of. Will google resizing and see what happens. I am somewhat out of my depth here

Sorry to bother
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

do a search on your computer, bottom left corner, type in paint, double click on the result, paint, desktop app

Capture.JPG
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thanks kelownaguy, but I have ipad, about 4 years old. What you describe I can't do (?), never had to hefore.

When I finish chores will do the google thing to see if help is there.

Right now when someone suggests "downsize" they might as well say "fly". :biggrin: Need instructions

Smoke thick and ugly here today.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Irfanview is a free application that is very useful for resizing images.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Different websites have different requirements but generally 80X80 is an acceptable size for an avatar.

With Irfanview you simply open it up, go to >file>open and navigate to wherever you have your image and select it.

Now you click on "image" then scroll down to "resize/resample" and you will see the input boxes where you can change the size. You can select preset options, or you can enter the dimensions you want which would be the case with an avatar as they don't offer options that small.

Simply save your file once you've resized it and you are done.

ETA: Never mind I just noticed I missed the Ipad part.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Sep 3rd, 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Using my Ipad, search the app store

Image resize = converter
photo resizer
photo resizer - resize and filter
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thank you gentlemen for all your helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.

After trying some of your ideas still had no luck uploading onto castanet.

Well, turns out that there is something wrong with that site so, with assistance of Ferri, we bypassed and now Avatar is in place.

You will see she is a skunk, normally a quiet calm little beastie. She has a sensitive nose which sniffs bafflegab and b.s., aroused, she hopes to make nonsense posters smell the light of day. Haha. Her tank is full, locked and loaded.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Can I suggest a few posters you can "sniff" out! :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Haha. I am having fun snorting them out and will respond when I see no one else has stepped up to the plate. Ammo ain't free, you know!
[icon_lol2.gif]

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Catsumi wrote:You will see she is a skunk, normally a quiet calm little beastie. She has a sensitive nose which sniffs bafflegab and b.s., aroused, she hopes to make nonsense posters smell the light of day. Haha. Her tank is full, locked and loaded.

Well if she's going to venture into any NDP threads she might have to consider installing a second tank. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Bsuds wrote:Bump and update.

I have been using Win 8.1 since all this occured and decided to see if MS had fixed the problem.

Voila! Win10 loaded with no problem other than Wifi was disgustingly slow. A modem reboot fixed that.

Wow, this thread sure went sideways...!

Anyway, I was wondering if you had to pay for this recent upgrade to W10? Or were you still able to use the freebee version, available a year ago?

Like you, I'm still using V8.1 and it works so well, I'm reluctant to "fix it if it ain't broke...".
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

even if you are not a customer who uses assistive tech, you can still upgrade to windows 10 by clicking on the upgrade link...

If you use assistive technologies, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessi ... s10upgrade

click on the link "upgrade now"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OldIslander wrote:Anyway, I was wondering if you had to pay for this recent upgrade to W10? Or were you still able to use the freebee version, available a year ago?

Like you, I'm still using V8.1 and it works so well, I'm reluctant to "fix it if it ain't broke...".

As long as you had Win10 loaded previously it's not a problem to reload it. It's registered in the BIOS of your Computer.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”