NDP hikes ICBC rates

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: NDP hikes ICBC rates

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Dizzy1 wrote:Sorry, but it was the NDP that screwed us in 1973 with the inception of ICBC :up:

Just think how better off BC would be right now if those NDP bozos hadn't won that election, and the bum Barrett hadn't been given any power. Oh how this province has suffered since. Just horrible.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
0mni
Fledgling

Post by 0mni »

privatization
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The Green wrote:Just think how better off BC would be right now if those NDP bozos hadn't won that election, and the bum Barrett hadn't been given any power. Oh how this province has suffered since. Just horrible.

Yup, that horrible Ambulance Service, Sheriff Service, and the dreaded ICBC.

I just wish any/everyone discussing insurance knew something about insurance.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I wish right-wing commenters on this thread were somewhat more enlightened than their counterparts on the other Castanet comment section on the same topic, but alas, it is not to be. They have been deceived by their party for 16 long years and they still don't know it, even after the majority of the electorate was savvy enough to smell the corruption and elect another party. So what if it took an alliance with the Greens. The BC Liberals thought they could continue their stranglehold on B.C. as long as they could keep the FPTP voting system, but in the end even that wasn't good enough to keep them and their corporate buddies in power.

The BC Liberals have been stealing billions from our Crown Corporations, both ICBC and BC Hydro. Now that the NDP has had a chance to review Mike deJong's bookkeeping (or should I say 'book-cooking) we find out just how bad the situation at ICBC is, and the NDP has no choice but to raise premiums until they can get a handle on all the changes that must be made to get ICBC back to where it used to be.......an affordable alternative to private insurance.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

NDP touts seem to think that $1.2 billion in dividends from ICBC created the situation. That is patently false. It is just another NDP talking point.

IF you actually read the financial reports you can see the problem. Number of accidents waaay up - distracted driving. Cost per accident waaay up, more expensive claims, more litigation.

Yup, the dividends paid to us, i.e. the government (NOT "the BC Liberals") moved "crunch time" up by a year, two at the most.

IF the NDP could do math, they would never have made their dumb promise about stopping the 42% increase (over 5 years). Obviously somebody did the math for them, as the 8% increase is exactly what ICBC had scheduled (7.9%).

And no, private insurance isn't any better. California private are going up 7%. It's mostly a function of idiots who can't leave their phones alone. So yell at them, not the government, not ICBC - the idiots who can't leave their phones alone, and shouldn't be permitted to drive anything more than a peddle car.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Dizzy1 wrote:

Gotta fill that cookie jar so they got something to take out of.

I have to wonder if you are not right. Someone somewhere realized that without funds from ICBC and probably BC Hydro the government was going to be in big doggy dodo. They would have to get all that money from somewhere else and people weren't going to like it. I could be wrong, only time will tell. I do think it would be great if they left these companies alone and made their money from taxes the way they are supposed to. Time to man up and be upfront with their taxpayers.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote: even after the majority of the electorate was savvy enough to smell the corruption and elect another party..

what party was that? Didn't the BC Liberals get more votes? Didn't the BC Liberals get more seats? What are you talking about exactly?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Privatization is the only way, make ICBC a distant memory and scrap it! :smt045

The province can :cuss: us via photo radar and red light cams and whatever else they can dream up -fine with me
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Time for the fines in BC to go way up.

Cell phone tickets in BC have gone up and have had almost no effect on accidents in this province.

Time to increase them or increase the penalties by taking away vehicles or taking away licences like the Immediate Roadside Prohibition program.

The IRP program has caused Impaired fatalities in BC to plummet and a 368 buck ticket for a cell phone plus points has done nothing to these boneheads.

We are beginning to see the real costs associated with this behavior and its time for the government, whether NDP or Liberal or Green, to get serious with this problem.

That way the idiots who do this will have to pay more so the rest of us won't have to.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Thank you, hobbyguy, for a sensible post. The only point I disagree with is the one about the $1.2 billion being exempt from ICBC's bankruptcy. It was as big or an even bigger factor than distracted driving, phony claims, ridiculous litigation, or drivers who got their licences out of Crackerjack boxes (or more nefarious means).
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Chyren wrote:Time for the fines in BC to go way up.

Cell phone tickets in BC have gone up and have had almost no effect on accidents in this province.

Time to increase them or increase the penalties by taking away vehicles or taking away licences like the Immediate Roadside Prohibition program.

The IRP program has caused Impaired fatalities in BC to plummet and a 368 buck ticket for a cell phone plus points has done nothing to these boneheads.

We are beginning to see the real costs associated with this behavior and its time for the government, whether NDP or Liberal or Green, to get serious with this problem.

That way the idiots who do this will have to pay more so the rest of us won't have to.

That takes care of part of the problem, but it doesn't eliminate the high costs associated with the legal side of the problem. We wait with bated breath to see if Eby will... Oh. No, I guess there's no point holding our breath for that, is there?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jimmy4321 wrote:Privatization is the only way, make ICBC a distant memory and scrap it! :smt045

The province can :cuss: us via photo radar and red light cams and whatever else they can dream up -fine with me

So many go on about privatization being the solution.

How is that going to change anything, same drivers, same cars, same roads, same lawyers, same courts.

We need some sort of No Fault system, THAT is the only change that will work, whether we have ICBC or private, they need to get in line with most of the other provinces, which includes, AB, SK, MB, ON, QC. PEI and NS
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... hree-years

The government has taken $1.2 billion in profits from the optional insurance side of ICBC’s business since 2010, when it changed the law to allow itself to siphon money from the corporation and use it for general revenue.

Call it $200M/year. $64/vehicle/year.

http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/newsroom ... istics.pdf

In 2015, there were 3.1M policies in BC.

They didn't do the transfer last year, so that's the equivalent an increase of that amount.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4275970

The increase is $130/year / 8% blended.

That means the previous profit taking was the equivalent of 4%.

Putting that money all aginst this increase would last 3 years and then would need the 8% PLUS whatever other increases needed over 3 years.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

my5cents wrote:We need some sort of No Fault system, THAT is the only change that will work, whether we have ICBC or private, they need to get in line with most of the other provinces, which includes, AB, SK, MB, ON, QC. PEI and NS

Great idea, I'm for it as I believe it will make a difference.
Problem is the Attorney General is a lawyer and I don't believe he wants to upset the gravy train for his lawyer friends.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

seewood wrote:
my5cents wrote:We need some sort of No Fault system, THAT is the only change that will work, whether we have ICBC or private, they need to get in line with most of the other provinces, which includes, AB, SK, MB, ON, QC. PEI and NS

Great idea, I'm for it as I believe it will make a difference.
Problem is the Attorney General is a lawyer and I don't believe he wants to upset the gravy train for his lawyer friends.

Hm. No fault = no lawyer.
Nope, can't see Eby going for this.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “B.C.”