Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: B.C. economy must brace for a seismic shift from NDP

Post by Rwede »

Down. Decline. Poor.

Haven't heard those words for 16 years.

BC small business optimism continues to fall in August

BC entrepreneurs’ confidence falls to sixth in provincial rankings

VANCOUVER, August 31, 2017 – According to the latest monthly Business Barometer survey results from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB), BC’s small business optimism fell 2.6 points in August to 63.3.

Two months ago, BC entrepreneurs were ranked the most optimistic in the country. Since then, BC’s rank has fallen to sixth in the country. While the Province still maintains a lead over the national index (59.8), the gap has narrowed significantly from July (5.2) to August (3.5).

Measured on a scale between 0 and 100, an index level above 50 means owners expecting their business’ performance to be stronger in the next year outnumber those expecting weaker performance. An index level of between 65 and 75 means the economy is growing at its potential.

“While it is discouraging to see business confidence decline even further in August, BC entrepreneurs remain relatively optimistic.” said Richard Truscott, Vice-President for BC and AB. “British Columbia’s confidence index is no longer above the 65 point threshold that reflects a strong, growing economy. The new government must deliver a supportive policy environment for entrepreneurs in order to sustain small business optimism and promote economic growth.” added Truscott.

To view the full report, please visit http://cfib.ca/a9606e

Overall hiring intentions were down in August. Twenty per cent of small business owners plan to increase full-time staff in the next three months, down three points from July. In contrast, nine percent are looking to cut back, a one point increase over the month before.

Fifty-two per cent of entrepreneurs in August believe the general state of health of their business is good, seeing no change from the previous month. That compares to just six per cent of BC business owners who describe their business’ health as poor, increasing one point from July.

The national Business Barometer index in August was 59.8, down 0.5 points from July. The provincial numbers were: PEI (72.7), Quebec (71.5), New Brunswick (67.6), Nova Scotia (66.7), Manitoba (65.2), BC (63.3), Ontario (56.9), Alberta (57.8), Newfoundland (54.5) and Saskatchewan (52.9).

http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/article ... =hootsuite
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Rwede wrote:Down. Decline. Poor.

VANCOUVER, August 31, 2017 – According to the latest monthly Business Barometer survey results from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB), BC’s small business optimism fell 2.6 points in August to 63.3.

Two months ago, BC entrepreneurs were ranked the most optimistic in the country. Since then, BC’s rank has fallen to sixth in the country. While the Province still maintains a lead over the national index (59.8), the gap has narrowed significantly from July (5.2) to August (3.5).

Measured on a scale between 0 and 100, an index level above 50 means owners expecting their business’ performance to be stronger in the next year outnumber those expecting weaker performance. An index level of between 65 and 75 means the economy is growing at its potential.

“While it is discouraging to see business confidence decline even further in August, BC entrepreneurs remain relatively optimistic.” said Richard Truscott, Vice-President for BC and AB. “British Columbia’s confidence index is no longer above the 65 point threshold that reflects a strong, growing economy. The new government must deliver a supportive policy environment for entrepreneurs in order to sustain small business optimism and promote economic growth.” added Truscott.

Overall hiring intentions were down in August. Twenty per cent of small business owners plan to increase full-time staff in the next three months, down three points from July. In contrast, nine percent are looking to cut back, a one point increase over the month before.

Fifty-two per cent of entrepreneurs in August believe the general state of health of their business is good, seeing no change from the previous month. That compares to just six per cent of BC business owners who describe their business’ health as poor, increasing one point from July.

The national Business Barometer index in August was 59.8, down 0.5 points from July. The provincial numbers were: PEI (72.7), Quebec (71.5), New Brunswick (67.6), Nova Scotia (66.7), Manitoba (65.2), BC (63.3), Ontario (56.9), Alberta (57.8), Newfoundland (54.5) and Saskatchewan (52.9).

Come on Rwede. Everyone knows it's because the uber rich are are pulling profits over job creation. :130:
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Okay, I get it. It's all fine and dandy to trash the NDP on these Castanet forums, but one word in their defense and all the BC Liberal partisans come out in full force. The only 'seismic shift' we're going to witness during the NDP's time in office is towards a fairer society.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Rider59 wrote:
Rwede wrote:Down. Decline. Poor.

Come on Rwede. Everyone knows it's because the uber rich are are pulling profits over job creation. :130:

Double whammy with JT's tax policy.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Cactusflower wrote:Okay, I get it. It's all fine and dandy to trash the NDP on these Castanet forums, but one word in their defense and all the BC Liberal partisans come out in full force. The only 'seismic shift' we're going to witness during the NDP's time in office is towards a fairer society.

Because unemployment and increased poverty among the most vulnerable, who are always first to lose jobs in a downturn, is a sign of a fairer society.

If that's the case, I don't want a fairer society.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:Okay, I get it. It's all fine and dandy to trash the NDP on these Castanet forums,

It's fine and dandy to trash all political parties. *removed*

but one word in their defense and all the BC Liberal partisans come out in full force.

What defence did you offer? I must have missed it. I saw something about sour grapes, which isn't a defense, it's just someone grasping for anything to try and counter mounting anger at the ineptness and bumbling of the current power usurping bozos that weren't elected in the first place.

he only 'seismic shift' we're going to witness during the NDP's time in office is towards a fairer society.

Oh good grief, now you want to bury us in over the top sanctimonious clap-trap. A "fairer" society. Here we go. This is the same nebulous concept as "the rich paying their fair share". Whenever pressed on this, the Left never have an answer. What is "fair"? How do we get to this fair utopia without causing mass exodus of those oppressed by unfair taxation and utter Venezuela style economic collapse? Just crickets from these goofs, every time.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2017, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bait removed.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:Okay, I get it. It's all fine and dandy to trash the NDP on these Castanet forums, but one word in their defense and all the BC Liberal partisans come out in full force. The only 'seismic shift' we're going to witness during the NDP's time in office is towards a fairer society.

Okay, I get it. Once the NDP have seized power, realistic financial analysis of BC's finances becomes "trashing the NDP". Poor performance is simply the result of moving toward a "fairer society". Apparently it's only fair when everyone is broke.

One wonders then what happens to the social safety net that relies on a strong tax base, but hey, why consider pesky little details like that when we're rushing headlong toward utopia.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Does anyone else think that this seismic shift could cause a giant tsunami that will destroy our economy?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

the surest way to kill an economy - destroy jobs. And the NDP seems to be able to destroy jobs better than all other parties combined.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Smurf wrote:Does anyone else think that this seismic shift could cause a giant tsunami that will destroy our economy?

I'm hoping they don't have time to accomplish that.
As mentioned in so many posts here, I really don't think the NDP had a realistic plan to govern. Yes they had their wish lists they campaigned on, but really other than an increase in disability benefits they are still stumbling about to provide any real reassurance they know what they are doing.
If there was an election when the Lt. Gov. had a chance to call one, I really doubt we would be seeing the NDP flopping about like a salmon in the back of a boat. ( and no, they should not be bonked on the head, just put back to grow some more)
Last edited by seewood on Sep 6th, 2017, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Smurf wrote:Does anyone else think that this seismic shift could cause a giant tsunami that will destroy our economy?

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:Enough with the sour grapes. The NDP hasn't been in power long enough for anyone to see what they'll do, economy-wise

No, but they've been in power before
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

gman313 wrote:
Queen K wrote:
The one percent Bank of Canada increase today my hit housing but likely will be easily absorbed by the rich foreign buyers. It's the Canadians who are going to be hurt the most, especially those who are overextended in the first place.

best check the math it was raised TO 1% not BY 1%

To 1%, but you guys know what I mean. The NDP did not do this and have nothing to do with the housing market. It's been in a bubble for a long time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:To 1%, but you guys know what I mean. The NDP did not do this and have nothing to do with the housing market. It's been in a bubble for a long time.

Wrong, as wrong as you were when you said they bumped the bank rate by 1%.

The NDP is 100% responsible for consumer confidence in this province, and that confidence is sinking like a rock.

Read the articles above, again, that spell this fact out. If you have any questions about what they're saying, ask.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Yeah that's the same BS Trump has been trying to sell gullible Americans, while he busily scurries around ensuring the pockets of his elite billionaire buddies continue to get lined by same gullible stupid Americans.

Our NDP and Trump have a lot in common.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “B.C.”