NDP Massey Tunnel Review!

Urban Cowboy
Guru

NDP Massey Tunnel Review!

Post by Urban Cowboy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205964

Talk about deja vu.

Every move these characters make is another play from their 1990's playbook.

Back then rather than ever make an actual commitment to any type of infrastructure, it was always sent to review.

What were some of our resident NDP sycophants blabbering on about a while back about this not being the 90's, and the NDP is new?
Sure could have fooled me. [icon_lol2.gif]

It's like we're stuck in a time machine.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: NDP Massey Tunnel Review!

Post by GordonH »

Knowing infrastructure from coast to coast to coast is in need of major upgrades & renewals. Its either do it now or just wait for it to completely fall apart.
Let see how long a tunnel design for a hell of lot less traffic can actually hold up, may there never be a quake anywhere near it.

failure is an option
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Ooooh another review. Who could have guessed that "reviews" would be the delay tactic for the party without a plan?

Anyone with a brain I would say.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

What a surprise...........The NDP are absolutely incapable of making a decision, they need to send everything for review, then if they act on the opinion of others, they are never at fault if it goes south, but they are heroes if it succeeds. Seems to me We'd be way ahead just hiring consultants to run the province. besides they are cheaper, and you can sack them at the drop of a hat.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Perhaps if the BC Liberals had sent a few things for review (the Convention Centre, the stadium roof, the Port Mann bridge and Hwy 1 widening, Northwest Transmission Line, etc., not to mention the biggest boondoggle of all, the Site C dam) the conventional provincial debt wouldn't have doubled, and BC Hydro's total debt and contractual obligations wouldn't have rose by at least $74 Billion.

Thanks to the mismanagement of the BC Liberals, ICBC was driven deep into the red, necessitating huge rate hikes. BC Ferries continued their downward spiral, with increased cost to the public despite being nominally "privatized" (right!). BC Rail was sold off cheap under a cloud of corruption, secrecy, and criminality. The BC Liberals' one big economic idea, the outrageously stupid LNG industry, proved a massive bust

I wish every government had the sense to have expensive projects reviewed instead of going off half-cocked and costing taxpayers billions of dollars unnecessarily.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps if the BC Liberals had sent a few things for review (the Convention Centre, the stadium roof, the Port Mann bridge and Hwy 1 widening, Northwest Transmission Line, etc., not to mention the biggest boondoggle of all, the Site C dam) the conventional provincial debt wouldn't have doubled, and BC Hydro's total debt and contractual obligations wouldn't have rose by at least $74 Billion.

Sorry, but the taxpayers need infrastructure, not a bunch of overpaid bureaucrats sitting around and wasting our money keeping us further in the dark ages.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

We need infrastructure, but not the kind that the BC Liberals gave us, a pile of crap that was built by corrupt, incompetent BC Liberal-friendly contractors such as SNC Lavalin, et al. The kind of infrastructure which ended up costing us double the original quoted price, and took months longer than the original time-line as well. How 'bout that Sea to Sky Highway? We're still paying shadow tolls on that boondoggle, and the maintenance is killing us because of the shoddy original construction.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:We're still paying shadow tolls

Shadow tolls?*removed* :up:

But you see, thats the whole point - with the Liberals, at least we got something - we got improved infrastructure to meet the growing needs of the population.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 7th, 2017, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Old Techie wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205964-3-.htm#205964

Talk about deja vu.

Every move these characters make is another play from their 1990's playbook.

Back then rather than ever make an actual commitment to any type of infrastructure, it was always sent to review.

What were some of our resident NDP sycophants blabbering on about a while back about this not being the 90's, and the NDP is new?
Sure could have fooled me. [icon_lol2.gif]

It's like we're stuck in a time machine.

Damned skippy we're stuck in something - with you it sounds like some messed up cyclic reasoning. You were just whining and moaning about the tolls coming off the Golden Ears and the Port Mann bridges. You'd be kvetching and moaning about paying for a $3.5 billion dollar bridge should they have gone ahead and just built it. You know damned well, already, that the NDP won't slap a toll on it - so you'll be kicking in for your share of that bill as well.

At least they're taking a step back and asking (a) how necessary a 10-lane bridge is (it isn't), and (b) if there are (less costly???) alternatives to a new bridge.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

another whine and cheese thread by team bclibs . [icon_lol2.gif] reviews is what proper govts do so they can present a case for or against. i know team lib is use to getting palms greased from lobbyists who donated money to them but hey if you give yourself to a higher power you can change :135:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:I wish every government had the sense to have expensive projects reviewed instead of going off half-cocked and costing taxpayers billions of dollars unnecessarily.

Yeah well thanks but I'll pass.

I learned long ago that "review" was NDP slang for avoiding a decision, postponing the decision until the next election winner would have to deal with it, or simply a make work project for connected insiders.

Bottom line is reviews are our tax dollars spent with absolutely nothing to show for it in return. The NDP operated this way in the 90's and they haven't even sat in the legislature yet and are doing exactly the same thing.

What the NDP has is a gift for pi$$ing away funds for zilch.

The sooner this virus is removed from BC the better for everyone. We already know you NDP tooters will whine regardless so in the end who really cares!

Better a few disgruntled internet trolls than a whole province down the toilet again.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

How much review was done for the Island Hwy in the 90's, about the only good thing the NDP did in those 10 years?

I seem to remember it being pushed through pretty quickly.

Fast ferries... obviously absolutely NO pre build studies done . Other than how many union jobs would made building them.
Ended up being a make work project.

A friend in the ship building bus, mentioned to me the west coast does not have the cost efficient larger ship building capability that other high labour cost jurisdictions do.( Germany)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Cactusflower wrote:We need infrastructure, but not the kind that the BC Liberals gave us, a pile of crap that was built by corrupt, incompetent BC Liberal-friendly contractors such as SNC Lavalin, et al. The kind of infrastructure which ended up costing us double the original quoted price, and took months longer than the original time-line as well.

spooker

Post by spooker »

10-lane bridge? The first thing that comes to mind is "induced demand much?" ... do we want to be the Los Angeles of the North? crisscrossed with huge chunks of concrete that have to be maintained by a more taxes?

I'd love to see the money spent extending the SkyTrain out there ... moving people not moving cars ...

I agree that we have to hold the government accountable ... and they say the review would be done by spring 2018 ... let's see how well their estimate fits and then start kvetching ...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JagXKR wrote:Ooooh another review. Who could have guessed that "reviews" would be the delay tactic for the party without a plan?

Anyone with a brain I would say.

Every action the NDP take (If you can even call it "action") is designed to line the pockets of as many NDP cronies as possible. Reviews are the best legal way to steal taxpayer cash, and have your trained seals clap along cheering. Just total BS. This crappy unelected NDP government can't fall fast enough.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”