Übergod

Re: Fruit fly swarms

Post by motokelowna1 »

Don't wear Yellow
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

so I had a yellow table cloth on my table on the deck, swarms of the little buggers..I changed the table cloth to a dark brown one and they are gone! wow!!! now I can enjoy sitting out there again! there is some truth to the yellow theory!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

cubafreak wrote:so I had a yellow table cloth on my table on the deck, swarms of the little buggers..I changed the table cloth to a dark brown one and they are gone! wow!!! now I can enjoy sitting out there again! there is some truth to the yellow theory!

Basically seems to be the bright vivid neon leaning colors that they zero in on the most.

Yellow and orange definitely their favorites but I saw a guy with a neon green top today who was covered in them too.

White seems to be fairly safe from my experience so far.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

KelownaCC wrote:*removed*

Ladybugs will take care of them. Unfortunately I think that nurseries are not selling them at this time of the year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... :smt045
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm just glad that they're actually bugs flyin around...

I thought I was having an acid flashback from 86 when I went wild on the stuff while waiting for the ferry at Swartz Bay to go to Expo ..... We got there at midnight ... cops came ... Yada Yada .,.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Here's the trick.

Invest (finally I did) in a flyswatter.

Now they're gone. Nothing to swat!

[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Seems like they're back. Was covered again today.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yeah, me too, but they are real fruit flies this time (tiny tims), the others were half size between regular black houseflies and fruit flies.

Perhaps with the warm weather they are rehatching to catch more of summer and freshly fallen apples.

Fruit flies' lifespan is 24 hours if I remember rightly.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I found a great way to catch the little nuisances, quite by accident. If you drink coffee with sugar and cream/milk, leave some in the coffee cup on your counter. I have caught dozens of them, as I say, quite by accident. Seems to work better than Apple Cider vinegar with a drop of liquid detergent with a layer of saran wrap with holes punched in it. How I got so many of the little buggers was my garbage had banana peels in my it. When I went to take the garbage out, needless to say, I had an army of little fruit flies come swarming out. Ughhhh!! Now, very few of the little buggers are left as they are mainly in my coffee cup, drowned and not bugging me. Sorry, :), I couldn't resist.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

You can suck them up with your vacumn cleaner hose, no problem
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

they also love sink drains...you would be surprised how quickly they can breed in them..
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Time to use some vinegar and baking soda. Freshens the drain and gets rid of all kinds of gunk.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Mine taste like pears.

Did they improve the qualities of your coffee, Damama?

[icon_lol2.gif]

Unknown
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

HA HA HAAAAAA!! I never tried it. LOL I do love my coffee, and, I guess they do toooo. Will have to see if anymore left over coffee will catch them again. :))
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Truth is, I am now favoring pear fruit fly coffee. Am considering a marketing scheme.

My only concern is that they stay awake all night and do their replicating in the dark of the small hours. Shall I keep a light on for them so they can seek each other out, vision unobscured?

BTW, wherever did that expression come from? Aren't all hours of 60 minutes?

:130:

Unknown

Return to “Central Okanagan”