Electric cars/Tesla/Solar power

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Hyundi 500km ev coming 2021

Post by GordonH »

impo with more hydrogen stations I would take Hyundai Tuscan fuel cell vehicle over a Tesla in a heartbeat.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Hyundi 500km ev coming AFTER 2021

Post by Jlabute »

The article does say AFTER 2021.lol. So I suppose we will see. That would make it competitive with Hydrogen Fuel cell vehicles for distance. Although, Hydrogen as a fuel is not affected from cold weather as much as lithium. In a cold Canadian winter, you could see that drop to 300Km. Still waiting. I suppose it is conceivable by the time I am ready to buy my next vehicle, something desirable will be available... around 2025 I am thinking.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Tesla beats a lambo

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tesla beats a lambo

Post by GordonH »

I could care less how fast a vehicle can go, what I care about is how far a single fill up can go. Be it a single full charge or single tank full of fuel.
Until EV can travel same distance or better then my present vehicle on single charge, charging time is greatly reduced.
Until then I will not waste my money on non traveling vehicle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Hyundi 500km ev coming 2021

Post by Dizzy1 »

OPs headline is misleading - the article clearly states some time after 2021 not "coming 2021" :up:

Hyundai also just launched the i30 N with 275hp to try and keep up with the likes of VW, Honda and Ford in the hot hatch market - combustion engines still have a nice long road ahead of them :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

If one tunes just about any car its not difficult to beat a "Lambo" or any other fast production car - and they still keep a driving range that suits the needs of the majority of daily drivers :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Tesla customers who are awaiting delivery of a P90D with Ludicrous Mode can upgrade their order to P100D spec for $10,000. Owners of existing P90D models can bring their cars to a Tesla service station to be upgraded to P100D spec, though the swap will cost them $20,000 to account for recycling the old battery.

Musk stated that there were no updates regarding a production date for the long-anticipated $35,000 Model 3.

Didn't realize it costs so much to re-cycle the old batteries in a Tesla.
When the car is in "ludicrous mode" and driven accordingly, the range is diminished . I'll take an internal combustion engine vehicle any day thank you. Just one with decent mileage with some zip...VW Golf R perhaps...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It is cool it can economically break a speed record. Good for them. It still doesn't make it a practical vehicle.
Lithium based batteries are very expensive seeing lithium is a rare earth metal and difficult to process. It will always be expensive. I am waiting for better battery technology to come available. Electric motors can produce a lot of torque given a lot of current. I am sure the batteries hate it and heat up. It has been theorized it is the reason why some customers have had Tesla vehicles that spontaneously combusted.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

seewood wrote: I'll take an internal combustion engine vehicle any day thank you. Just one with decent mileage with some zip...VW Golf R perhaps...

Same here - a stock Golf R with the DSG will easily get you 0-60 in four and half seconds, throw on an APR stage 2 or 3 tune and you're looking at 3 seconds - put the DCC in Normal or Comfort mode and you'll still get comparable mileage to a base Golf, put it back into Race and have some fun - just a shame we don't get the Golf R Wagon here.

I just did a quick search - there are only 11 2017 R's left available in Canada. Curious as to how many they'll offer for next year - more curious, I'm wondering if Audi will be bringing the RS3 here and if MB will be bring the AMG45 here.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I know, off topic but the R is likely my next car when my chipped 3.6L VW Passat finally packs it in, likely in a year or so.
Several R's in the Fraser Valley for sale..

I'd like a R wagon as well....
I have a friend with a TESLA, range anxiety is real..... They know all the restaurants in Hope while they charge up again for the final run into Van. So a potential 4 hour run takes upwards of 6 hours... A lot of money in my opinion for a semi luxurious vehicle with limited range and then I suspect all kinds of re-cycle issues ($$$)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

By 2020 all jags will be atleast part electric

Post by maryjane48 »

Jaguar has decided that, starting in 2020, every vehicle it builds will have some sort of electric power—either via hybrid or full electric drivetrain. That's not a surprise—BMW made a similar commitment today, and Volvo announced such plans back in July. But the way Jaguar debuted the announcement is simply delightful.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... ed-e-type/
Jlabute
Guru

Re: By 2020 all jags will be atleast part electric

Post by Jlabute »

At least the battery will be electric ;-)
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Are the Brits capable of making a car with reliable electrics?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Rider59 wrote:Are the Brits capable of making a car with reliable electrics?

Phtttt. [icon_lol2.gif] must have had a Triumph or British Leyland in the past... Old Fiats, not much different.. Marreli and Lucas went to the same electrical school.

Return to “World”