Square Footage

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Square Footage

Post by Glacier »

It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Square Footage

Post by Rider59 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 8th, 2017, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Rider59 wrote:
Glacier wrote:It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

House across the street: 1050 sq. ft. main floor, 700 sq ft. down, plus another 600 sq. ft. for garage. Plus, padded fudge factor = total 2,450 sq. ft.

*removed*

Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

They should do cubic feet. That way you'd know if there were potentially low ceilings.lol
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I want 3D renderings, dammit.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Next it will be in Centipeters to make it seem bigger!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

lesliepaul wrote:
Noticed this trend in B.C. first...........I guess it is the B.C. way of making yourself and your THINGS bigger than they are........and hope for a big payday down the road.

Main floor and upstairs (two-story or story and a 1/2) is the main living area and is the primary square footage. Then you can add additional finished/unfinished 1000 sq. ft. basement with a description. Just another way Real Estate agents embellish a listing.

B.C. reminds me of the fisherman that dislocated both shoulders describing the fish he caught.

But why? If you live in a home with basement then its part of the home and therefore part of the square footage. I don't understand why people say "oh its a rancher, about 1200 sq ft" and then when you push them a bit suddenly its twice the size because guess what they have a fully finished basement with actually more space than upstairs. Even if the basement is unfinished it still counts as potential living space but should be listed as "unfinished"
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

dodgerdodge wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:

But why? If you live in a home with basement then its part of the home and therefore part of the square footage. I don't understand why people say "oh its a rancher, about 1200 sq ft" and then when you push them a bit suddenly its twice the size because guess what they have a fully finished basement with actually more space than upstairs. Even if the basement is unfinished it still counts as potential living space but should be listed as "unfinished"

In AB always has been
Bungalow- main floor sq footage
2 story- Main floor and upstairs (bonus room if applicable)
1.5 story- main and upstairs (and bonus room if it has it)
Bi-level or split- usually all floors except lowest level
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Screw Alberta. I like the idea of cubic feet. I wonder if tax assessments take into account my 7 foot basement ceiling versus my neighbor's 9 foot ceiling (different neighbor).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Whats that in Cubits?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

In AB always has been
Bungalow- main floor sq footage
2 story- Main floor and upstairs (bonus room if applicable)
1.5 story- main and upstairs (and bonus room if it has it)
Bi-level or split- usually all floors except lowest level
[/quote]

Same in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario............
ken tukee

Post by ken tukee »

lesliepaul wrote:
Same in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario............

and quebec
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If you think that is bad..,
How about houses in the Hospital area being described as Lower Mission...in RealtorSpeak...
When I lived directly across the street from the south entrance to Mission Park Mall, (for better part of a decade), I would have been ashamed to call it Mission

If sq footage is followed by, total footage. That I accept.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

kgcayenne wrote:I want 3D renderings, dammit.

www.mymatterport.com

You pretty much got it.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Glacier wrote:It seems to me that the definition keeps changing over the years. I remember when square footage only referred to your main floors. Then it included all finished living space in the basement too. Then I started seeing listings that included unfinished space. Now the house across the street from is including the garage space in the square footage of the place. Before you know it, they're going to start including the driveway and patio.

If it is done, it doesn't mean it is correct or allowable. If what you describe is true and in the finished floor area you should do the correct thing and report it.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Central Okanagan”