Buddha of the Board

Ont govt plans to sell pot

Post by maryjane48 »

Veovis
Guru

Re: Ont govt plans to sell pot

Post by Veovis »

And?

There are many government liquor stores why would this be any different?
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

660: Number of LCBO stores serving communities across Ontario
212: Number of LCBO agency stores

Out of a total of 872 stores, 150 will be selling marijuana - not a big deal.

http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/cor ... bK-pciGPIU
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

This is probably a model that BC could follow. It would allow proper labelling of the amount of THC contained in the product and lead to the proper labelling and control of medical marijuana dispensed in independent stores.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

erinmore3775 wrote:This is probably a model that BC could follow. It would allow proper labelling of the amount of THC contained in the product and lead to the proper labelling and control of medical marijuana dispensed in independent stores.

Much like 40% alcohol, 5% alcohol on labels I would assume this would be a requirement of packaging before legalising anyways. It would only make sense.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

erinmore3775 wrote:This is probably a model that BC could follow. It would allow proper labelling of the amount of THC contained in the product and lead to the proper labelling and control of medical marijuana dispensed in independent stores.

The way it looks in Ontario ALL private dispensaries will be put out of business. Looks like the Ontario Government wants it ALL. Not good.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pot is coming like it or not, have it sold at both government outlets as well private.
Have in place 1 strike rule, caught selling to underage just once your license is pulled.... no ifs.... buts or maybes.... about it (same should be for alcohol as well).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.macleans.ca/news/ontario-plans-dozens-government-run-marijuana-shops/

lol will we see wynn weed ?

Maybe but I'm sure she has a gardener to look after her overgrown flowerbeds. :biggrin:
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

The government will tax it either way it needs to be opened to private business to create opportunities for the people. I will be *bleep* if this happens in BC
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

gman313 wrote:The government will tax it either way it needs to be opened to private business to create opportunities for the people. I will be *bleep* if this happens in BC

Making it 100% government will simply keep the black market strong. Like booze let there be both options.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

I like the idea - hope they do it in BC. Let there be proper control, and let the profits go into the govt to pay for health care etc. I have no sympathy for businesses that opened illegally. They knew it was a risk.

Why does it keep the black market strong? The Ontario govt said they'd keep the prices competitive. And it still creates jobs.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think in the beginning much like alcohol , the government should have the monopoly. Years from now like alcohol sales, loosen up and allow private establishments.
If BC doesn't choose to take the Ontario route and allow private sales from the get go, they should ban ALL who've participated in having an illegal storefront prior to legalization from opening shop. Maybe begin cracking down hard now and charging those who participate in owning and operating thus disqualifying them from going legit, they should NOT be rewarded.

The Black Market will suffer in both cases so long as tax levels are such to keep the product competitive - and with the added benefit of buying from a legal source with at least an attempt for quality control.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I feel the same way. I would like to see government stores only. One of the main things about it was that it was going to make us all a fortune and pay for health care, education, etc.. The best way to do that is to let the government have complete control. If it does allow private sales then anyone who has been involved up to this time should be banned from participating in any way. There is no way they should get any more benefit from their illegal activity. You could give the provincial governments the profits from sales and the federal government a reasonable profit from tax. This would allow everyone to make a buck but keep the price low so that it would actually cut out the black market. We have to be extremely careful not to get greedy or the black market will continue to flourish.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Pot black market wider and deeper than government’s half-hearted plans

<snip>

Under the guise of creating a state-run monopoly, the province is running the risk of creating more demand for the services of the very people it purports to drive out of business.

<snip>

Unless they have been living on another planet, the provincial and federal politicians who are debating the upcoming legalization of marijuana must be familiar with the omnipresence and the reach of the underground market. And they must know that half-hearted measures tend to yield costly failures.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/po ... &ocid=iehp

Personally, I’d like to see something much like the existing storefronts – similar to cottage breweries and wineries and regulated much the same way with laws addressing distribution and sales. The government will still get its tax money, and could also sell product from individual growers from its liquor stores. A model for the private and public sale of a regulated and controlled substance (alcohol) already exists. Everyone should just quit freaking out. This is not the zombie apocalypse.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

No because you are again talking about three levels wanting their level of profit. By giving it to the government you cut out one level and therefore can make it cheaper to actually affect the black market. This was supposed to be for all Canadians and the best way to do that is to leave it in the hands of the government. I would just like to see it shared by all, not with most of it in the hands of a few. The second you get investors you drive up the need for profits and thereby costs. This means the governments get very little or the costs are driven up so high the black market continues to flourish.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Canada”