Federal NDP leadership race

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Federal NDP leadership race

Post by Ka-El »

Jagmeet Singh Explains Why He Didn’t Tell That Heckler He’s Sikh, Not Muslim

NDP leadership contender Jagmeet Singh has opened up about what was going through his mind when a heckler spewed ugly remarks at him during a campaign event this week.

On Wednesday, a woman interrupted Singh's event in Brampton, Ont. to accuse him of backing Shariah, a system of laws based on Islam, and supporting the Muslim Brotherhood. The Ontario MPP is Sikh.

Video recordings of Singh deftly defusing the situation by urging his supporters to respond with "love and courage" — and telling the woman he loved and welcomed her — have since gone viral in Canada and the United States.

<snip>

"Once allowed to grow, hate doesn't pick and choose, it spreads like fire. Once we say it's ok to hate someone based on their religion, we're also opening the door to hate based on race, gender, sexuality, and more," he said. "It's important that we stand united against all forms of hate.

"It takes love to understand that we're all in this together. It takes courage to come together, demand better and dream bigger, so that we can build a world where no one is left behind."

My response to Islamophobia has never been 'I'm not Muslim.' It has always been and will be that 'hate is wrong.'Jagmeet Singh

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ja ... &ocid=iehp

I wonder if Canada is ready for a non-white leader at this high a level. Of course, I would suspect being a member of the federal NDP is going to be an even bigger albatross around his neck. Still, this guy does have more than a few things going for him. This race will be interesting to watch and follow. The next federal election should be very interesting as well.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: federal NDP leadership race

Post by Ka-El »

Who's backing whom in the NDP leadership race

The four candidates for the leadership of the federal NDP are participating in the campaign's last official debate in Vancouver on Sunday, little more than a week before voting begins.

Many New Democrats, however, have already weighed in, throwing their weight behind one of the contestants for the job. Ontario MPP Jagmeet Singh still has the most endorsements in the race, both from within the caucus and in the wider NDP universe of current and former legislators at the provincial and federal levels.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier ... -1.4279788
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Federal NDP leadership race

Post by Omnitheo »

I would proudly support Jagmeet if he wins the leadership.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Omnitheo wrote:I would proudly support Jagmeet if he wins the leadership.

I'm inclined to think the same way. Trudeau has been a disappointment, and Andy? Well, he's just not ready.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i havnt really studied the race but the way that guy handled the sad racist heckler was impressive :130:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Actually , if the NDP do select Jagmeet as their leader, it might cause some of the extreme right wing racists to re-examine their evil ways and lose their hateful ways.

Nah......... what am I thinking?
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I'm not ready for a guy like Singh as PM. Looks like a giant Q-Tip. Mind you, before too long people of South Asian descent will be deciding every election in this country so he could very well win.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

techrtr wrote:I'm not ready for a guy like Singh as PM. Looks like a giant Q-Tip. Mind you, before too long people of South Asian descent will be deciding every election in this country so he could very well win.

This takes the cake for most racist statement I've read today.

Jagmeet Singh was born in Canada in 1979. Actually a few months earlier than Andrew Scheer, which means you could say that he's been a Canadian longer than the conservative party leader has been.

but you're going to base your opposition to him on something so shallow as appearance and racial prejudice over actual policy and ideology?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I hope Jagmeet wins the leadership and takes exactly 50% of the left wing vote.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The protestor probably learned it from the media (his ignorance on the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh).

The media person was told the taxi driver was Sikh. The media headline called him a Muslim anyway.

sikh.jpg

As for a Sikh PM, I don't care what a person's religion is, only what ideas they support. If he's fair moderate, I'd definitely give him consideration.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Omnitheo wrote:
techrtr wrote:I'm not ready for a guy like Singh as PM. Looks like a giant Q-Tip. Mind you, before too long people of South Asian descent will be deciding every election in this country so he could very well win.

This takes the cake for most racist statement I've read today.

Jagmeet Singh was born in Canada in 1979. Actually a few months earlier than Andrew Scheer, which means you could say that he's been a Canadian longer than the conservative party leader has been.

but you're going to base your opposition to him on something so shallow as appearance and racial prejudice over actual policy and ideology?

Not racist at all. If he had a man bun I would say he looked like a *bleep*, thus I wouldn't vote for him or wish him to be PM.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

techrtr wrote: Not racist at all.

Actually, it was an obvious and blatantly racist statement.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Won't vote for him cuz he looks like a "giant Q-tip".

What depth of political analysis!
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Oh the irony,,,,,,,,,,

So it's not OK to NOT vote for someone because of how he looks and who he may represent ???
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Trudeau has to be shaking in his boots with Jagmeet's meteoric rise in popularity.

Where Trudeau pretends to be "inclusive and diverse" but is in reality a bigoted misogynist, Singh actually walks the walk as well as talks the talk.

Jagmeet is poised to claw hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of votes back from the Liberals and into the NDP with his appeal to the ethnic minorities, the LGBTQ society, and the SJWs. He's Layton 2.0 with a twist.

You can bet that we'll see more Liberal plants, like that lunatic woman who attacked Singh, show up to dog him. That one backfired on Butts and Trudeau, for sure. What will they do next?

Scheer must be laughing like hell at all this, as the Liberals try desperately to cling to the "culturally diverse" voters. Scheer can sit back and watch - he needs to do nothing as Trudeau and Butts self destruct in panic while Singh wins over the votes that Trudeau picked up in 2015.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”