Shaw Wifi- So Annoying!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Shaw Wifi- So Annoying!

Post by Loki2u »

Is anyone else bothered by the annoying pop ups on your phone from shaw wi-fi whenever you are in a shaw zone (which are everywhere around town)?

I understand it's probably a great service for those with a shaw account, but I am not a member and don't want these notifications to sign in popping up every 5minutes around town.

Most wi-fi services show as available, but you manually sign in to them when you want-they don't just pop up asking you to sign in. I could see if I was a member, but I'm not, and it's like they're hijacking my phone.

Has anyone found a work-around for this aside from turning my wifi off completely which I don't want to do?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Shaw Wifi- So Annoying!

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Not bothering me one bit, but then I am a Shaw Go Wifi member, so my phone just connects since it's MAC address is registered.

It's precisely that service that kept me with Shaw.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Turn off the notifications in your settings.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Bsuds wrote:Turn off the notifications in your settings.

All notifications? Or is there something specific to turn off? I need some apps to have their notifications on. Did Shaw adjust my phone when I "agreed" to their terms? You know, when I was logging on as a guest and did not have time to read all the legalese.
I am not that good with Android, although I have improved over the years.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

JagXKR wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Turn off the notifications in your settings.

All notifications? Or is there something specific to turn off? I need some apps to have their notifications on. Did Shaw adjust my phone when I "agreed" to their terms? You know, when I was logging on as a guest and did not have time to read all the legalese.
I am not that good with Android, although I have improved over the years.
ahh, Android, that's maybe the issue here?
I miss the simplicity of I phone. With Android, which has certain benefits, there's too much crap for me,and not at all easier. eg.just once or always, when opening. .
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

I do know there are specifics for notifications. I'd have to search but without knowing the specifics, can't help. I've gone through my phones. For me, Android is *bleep*,, iPhone is straight forward
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Found this:
For Apple
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5463299?tstart=0

There is no way to "block" them or keep them off the list. If they are braodcasting the SSID (Name) it will show up. If your device is trying to auto connect to it, you can stop that. The next time you encounter it:

Settings app > WiFi > [Network in question, assuming it is "connected"] > > Forget this network

For my phone running Android 4.4.4 (yep it's old) I went to Settings > Wifi and scrolled way down and found 2 Shaw. Guest and Open. CLicked on each separately and clicked "forget". Each one is no longer on my list. That being said they may pop up again.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

On android try:

Settings -> wifi -> click the gear icon on top -> Slide the Network notification switch to off.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Loki2u wrote: aside from turning my wifi off completely which I don't want to do?

I quite often turn off WiFi when away from home. Not only does it stop annoying notifications but the battery lasts longer.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

You can set it to not notify you of open wifi spots.
You and 71 others Like this post
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Loki2u wrote:Is anyone else bothered by the annoying pop ups on your phone from shaw wi-fi whenever you are in a shaw zone (which are everywhere around town)?

I understand it's probably a great service for those with a shaw account, but I am not a member and don't want these notifications to sign in popping up every 5minutes around town.

Most wi-fi services show as available, but you manually sign in to them when you want-they don't just pop up asking you to sign in. I could see if I was a member, but I'm not, and it's like they're hijacking my phone.

Has anyone found a work-around for this aside from turning my wifi off completely which I don't want to do?

It's not Shaw notifying you with pop-ups, it's the setting on your phone. Android will notify you when there are open/public hotspots. If you don't like those notifications (and it sounds like you don't) - then disable them. https://www.howtogeek.com/303259/how-to-turn-off-public-wi-fi-notifications-in-android/
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”