LSIB to restore Burial Site.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: LSIB to restore Burial Site.

Post by fluffy »

cr125 wrote:when ever I see a news clip concerning the bands, its a certain chief, that is always combative and confrontational, i'll let you figure out which one.

That's not very hard. I can't shake the feeling that when it comes to this particular individual that the conflict is more important than the root issue in most cases.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Several years ago, my father unearthed a flint arrow head on his property on Van Island.
I was amazed at the craftsmanship displayed in the artifact and urged my folks to call "someone" to get the find into a museum or something....

My father patted me on the head and said "nobody is calling no one about this wee arrow head...."make that call and we will have a whole band camped in the front yard demanding I hand over the house and property".

I thought he was being ridiculous.
About two years later, a similar scenario played out further down the shoreline on another property. At first the owners were fairly accommodating and happy to have FN members excavating a corner of their lot. They were even on the evening news!

Well that didn't last....after a few weeks things turned nasty. The band wanted the property completely excavated....and the owners needed to leave their residence behind and give up title.

It turned into a :cuss: show.
Lawyers, government officials, and band members battled it out in a bitter lawsuit.
I don't remember how it resolved itself....but I bet those land owners had wished they had just turned over the soil and planted some roses.
I suspect allot of private land owners across the country keep their mouths shut when uncovering FN artifacts and remains.
Last edited by Leifer on Sep 5th, 2017, 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Leifer wrote:It turned into a show.Lawyers, government officials, and band members battled it out in a bitter lawsuit.I don't remember how it resolved itself....but I bet those land owners had wished they had just turned over the soil and planted some roses.I suspect allot of private land owners across the country keep their mouths shut when uncovering FN artifacts and remains.

And that is the rumor why Botanio mall in Williams lake managed to get built. Some artifacts were found, mouths kept shut and the mall was completed. Now the FN in the area use the mall to hang out and shop.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Leifer wrote:
I suspect allot of private land owners across the country keep their mouths shut when uncovering FN artifacts and remains.

And who can blame them for doing so? It really is an unfortunate situation when important cultural finds of the history of local lands are found and the unfortunate current owner gets it up the wazoo from both the local band trying to protect it's own heritage and the Gov't.
Sad to admit, but if I were diggin a hole on my land and found some artifacts, I'd probably just pretend I never saw them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Symbonite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/205548/LSIB-to-restore-burial-site

I wonder how many other construction or landowners have found artifacts and said nothing because the fear of having the land under a whole bunch of red tape.

At the same time how does the owner of said orchard know that there was something there. It has been there for a thousand years and no one knew about it including the band. But now they know they want all rights or to leave it there?

Anyways the old saying goes...what you dont know doesnt hurt you.

for real that is your answer ? your a guest on first nation lands. you might want to keep that in mind .
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

No, I'm not a "guest" here. If we want to play the "my ancestor's" game...it was MY ancestors who came over here, fought your ancestors, won, and now you are a guest on MY land. Touche.

Sick of this argument.
QueenBee4

Post by QueenBee4 »

As far as I know those remains have been known about by the Band and by the government for years.
And the date of the remains did not come out of thin air. The Lower Similkameen Indian Band hired accredited archeologists to who made that determination.
As for why it was never made public, as in most native cultures it is customary to bury artifacts with the deceased. If they were to make every burial ground public think of how much more desecration would happen by scavengers trying to make a buck on priceless artifacts.
Honestly, they were here first. Let them rest in peace.

The landowners sound to me like soulless mopportunists.

I am not an LSIB member. But agree completely with their plight.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

More silly argument about "they were here first". That just doesn't fly with me. You are either part of Canada or you are not. If not then stop taking my tax dollars. Some religions don't have a problem with moving remains and some do. Guess which one I respect.

hint....this one

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/20 ... -for-condo
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

The LSIB may have succeeded in gaining control of this burial site but in doing so have sent a message to anyone else digging in Canada. The message is this: if you find bones on your job site, don't say anything. Just dig a hole and bury them.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2017, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “South Okanagan”