What is wrong with CHBC ?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
my5cents
Guru

What is wrong with CHBC ?

Post by my5cents »

Yesterday on the evening news I was shocked to see a huge error in reporting the comparison between the number of hectares burned this year to 2016.

They showed a graphic indicating that this year 209,323 hectares were burned this year and there was 916 hectares burned in 2016.

Yes 916 !

Now I didn't have the actual number comitted to memory but just looking at the number I knew it was wrong.

I thought to myself what is wrong with these people ! Just common sense would dictate that there wasn't 200 thousand times more hectares burned this year from last. That's bad, BUT......

What did I see tonight ? One night later surely even the news reader picked up that the numbers were senseless!

Same story... same numbers !

The actual number of hectares in 2016 was 100,000 and change. So about half as much last year as this.

What don't they have ? pride in their work, or brains.

We should be able to rely on the information they supply. Even unsubstantiated rumours posted on Facebook are more accurate.

Doesn't someone in management watch the broadcasts ? Even someone with half a brain should have picked up on this glaring error.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: What is wrong with CHBC ?

Post by GordonH »

This year is near 1.2 million hectares Province wide
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:This year is near 1.2 million hectares Province wide

Most are reporting in the area of 895,000 hectares. The final amount won't be in til the fall of course.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:This year is near 1.2 million hectares Province wide

my5cents wrote:Most are reporting in the area of 895,000 hectares. The final amount won't be in til the fall of course.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... istics.asp
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

my5cents wrote:Yesterday on the evening news I was shocked to see a huge error in reporting the comparison between the number of hectares burned this year to 2016.

They showed a graphic indicating that this year 209,323 hectares were burned this year and there was 916 hectares burned in 2016.

Yes 916 !

Now I didn't have the actual number comitted to memory but just looking at the number I knew it was wrong.

I thought to myself what is wrong with these people ! Just common sense would dictate that there wasn't 200 thousand times more hectares burned this year from last. That's bad, BUT......

What did I see tonight ? One night later surely even the news reader picked up that the numbers were senseless!

Same story... same numbers !

The actual number of hectares in 2016 was 100,000 and change. So about half as much last year as this.

What don't they have ? pride in their work, or brains.

We should be able to rely on the information they supply. Even unsubstantiated rumours posted on Facebook are more accurate.

Doesn't someone in management watch the broadcasts ? Even someone with half a brain should have picked up on this glaring error.

Sort of like the error in your post?
Using round numbers for you, you have said that 200,000 vs 1000 is 200,000 times greater?? And then go on to say that "just looking at the number you knew it was wrong"?

Innumeracy is a huge problem in society today.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”