Transporting Canadians out of Hurricane Zone

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Transporting Canadians out of Hurricane Zone

Post by Silverstarqueen »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/20 ... ns-complex

There seem to be quite a few Canadians who believe the Canadian government can just send planes into an area struck by a hurricane and pick up thousands of stranded. The logistics of doing this boggles the mind. These people are strung out across the caribean and Florida keys and mainland. As it is it looks like at least 80 flights have been sent by commercial airlines, and current arrangements depend on everything from clearing airport runways to locating and transporting those affected. I don't know what people think, that it is so easy to arrange all this on very short notice, that fleets of airplanes can be commandeered just like that.
Hopefully everyone who wants to return to Canada will get back before too long, but it's likely going to take some time.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Transporting Canadians out of Hurricane Zone

Post by Bsuds »

As well as it's not like they didn't get advance warning of the Hurricane. Some could have come home on their own sooner!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

these people are morons they are not on canadian soil, sorry but your on your own, they knew irma was coming and stayed

your on your own
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its a disgrace that our government has completely dropped the ball on this all the other countries are getting their people out and Canada keeps making excuses
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

they should claim refugee status they would be here by now :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Interesting point the US sent in military aircraft to get Americans out of many of Caribbean countries before Irma hit & I believe after as well.
Canada told its residents in the Caribbean use commercial flights since Westjet.... Air Canada & Air Transat sent extra planes to the area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LTD wrote:its a disgrace that our government has completely dropped the ball on this all the other countries are getting their people out and Canada keeps making excuses

Why? They got their on their own dime, they could have gone out on their own dime - ample warning was given. You choose to live or vacation in hurricane alley - more power to you :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly.................
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Dizzy1 wrote:
LTD wrote:its a disgrace that our government has completely dropped the ball on this all the other countries are getting their people out and Canada keeps making excuses

Why? They got their on their own dime, they could have gone out on their own dime - ample warning was given. You choose to live or vacation in hurricane alley - more power to you :up:

most couldn't get out in time due to flights being full and despite what you might think you cant just jump on whatever flight you want and have them drop you off in Vancouver other countries were sending military aircraft to rescue their people our country didn't give flying :cuss: that's a disgrace in my books people were stranded and still are long after it was safe to fly there
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2017, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LTD wrote:most couldn't get out in time due to flights being full and despite what you might think you cant just jump on whatever flight you want and have them drop you off in Vancouver other countries were sending military aircraft to rescue their people our country didn't give flying :cuss: that's a disgrace in my books people were stranded and still are long after it was safe to fly there

There were lots of flights available all over the affected areas days before. Various airlines such as AC, WS, DL, AA, UA, WN and B6 sent down extra aircraft to boost capacity. People simply choose to wait until the last minute in the hopes they don't have to leave.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

What's wrong with using the commercial airlines, they took many people before the hurricane, and where airports are functional, still plan to transport people. If the commercial flights can't get in (as in hurricane approaching), they aren't likely to be able to land government aircraft either. So people will be picked up as they are able to get the flights together and to the destination. This was a major hurricane event, covering a huge area, and people expect door to door service just like that. There are huge logistical issues. So people are going to have to be patient. Being Canadian doesn't ensure you won't suffer in a category 5 hurricane.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I watched Chrystia Freeland apologize for not getting there faster and for Canadian vacationers having to go through such a horrible time during the hurricane. I think she has nothing to apologize for. If you have a bad experience while on vacation it is 100% your problem. Who goes on vacation in the Caribbean during hurricane season anyway? Oh, the rates are lower, I wonder why?
With all the hundreds of islands and diverse locations, it does not make sense that Canada could just swoop in and save them all like in the movies.
Edited to add: How could I be so daft, those are her supporters who can afford to vacation at their condo in the Carribean.....
Last edited by Grandan on Sep 13th, 2017, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waste not
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Stuff happens. You can't bubble wrap every Canadian everywhere in the world. People go to other countries for a different experience, different weather, lifestyles, adventure. Well they got all of that in texas, the caribbean, florida, or mexico if they happened to be there for the earthquake. I heard interviews of people who were visiting or living on these islands, they were there voluntarily, it was a major weather event, but not a surprise to people who know the area. If someone visiting from Europe or China has family caught up in an avalanche while skiing, snowmobiling, in B.C., do you hear them saying their country should swoop in and take them home? Only Canadians believe their government should protect them from bad experiences wherever they choose to travel or live in the world.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/20 ... to-get-out
Only 33 requests so far. And the rest will choose to stay, try and ride it out - then when things go from bad to worse - all the bleeding hearts will be crying why we aren't doing anything.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Dizzy1 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/207129/Urging-Canadians-to-get-out
Only 33 requests so far. And the rest will choose to stay, try and ride it out - then when things go from bad to worse - all the bleeding hearts will be crying why we aren't doing anything.

leave now or your on your own--that simple

Return to “Social Concerns”