Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Waters Edge Condo Fire (Mission Fire)

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ins-closed
snip
On Wednesday, a fire sparked in the roof of the Monashee Inn, which was undergoing renovations.

Sorry to bring this up again. Not really.
Work on a roof and a fire, AGAIN.
With the recent track record for roofs and the drought and fire bans this seems extra stupid. Double double stupid.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

honestly if people really knew the kind of quality people -not--that work on there roofs , they would have a stroke
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#206316

This is going to cost the morons at Kelowna City Hall plenty........as it should.

Hey Basran........this is what you get for you "paying back" your financial backers.......TRY LISTENING to the people whose lives you and this pathetic city council turned upside down. Hopefully the Mission Group takes a HUGE financial hit and Jonathan Friesen has to sell his shack off Clifton Rd.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lesliepaul wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-206316-1-.htm#206316

This is going to cost the morons at Kelowna City Hall plenty........as it should.

Hey Basran........this is what you get for you "paying back" your financial backers.......TRY LISTENING to the people whose lives you and this pathetic city council turned upside down. Hopefully the Mission Group takes a HUGE financial hit and Jonathan Friesen has to sell his shack off Clifton Rd.

basran only interest is his friends not the people or city of kelowna
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i still see wood framed buildings going up in kelowna .there is a project by timmies on powick that is being built right now that is framed with 2x4s.what does kelowna have against steel studs? does basaran own shares in a lumber yard or something?for the amount of construction projects and apartments that have burned down in this town you would think they would need to be built out of non flammable materials
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

voice of reason wrote:i still see wood framed buildings going up in kelowna .there is a project by timmies on powick that is being built right now that is framed with 2x4s.what does kelowna have against steel studs? does basaran own shares in a lumber yard or something?for the amount of construction projects and apartments that have burned down in this town you would think they would need to be built out of non flammable materials

Basran, as much as I'm not a fanboy, has absolutely nothing to do or say with regard to how a project is built. Oddly enough, wood structural elements fair significantly better than steel components used in the same manner exposed to fire. The method in which the structural elements are protected from fire is what's crucial, and depends entirely on the use and classification of the structure. Portions of any building have various fire resistance ratings (not fireproof) that range from 30 minutes to 3 and 4 hours. That said, I've driven by the project at Powick and 97 and see it's following the new thinking of wood can be used for structures beyond 3-4 stories - not a fan of that either. Why are builders choosing this conventional method over concrete and steel? Cost - plain and simple.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

lesliepaul wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-206316-1-.htm#206316

Yup - definitely haven't heard the last of this issue - and highly likely it's going to be front and center of some legal action considering it's documented public knowledge there was opposition to the variances before they were approved citing this exact scenario. I was at the fire prior to the completed and occupied building catching fire, and have to say I was surprised at the lack of attention that seemed to be paid to the north west corner, closest to the wing under construction. Not suggesting fire crews wre negligent in any way, and things certainly could have been a lot worse, but I watched as the facia boards on the top section of roof began to smoke then finally caught fire, and spread through the upper floor. Did not understand why the one ladder truck with monitor wasn't focusing on this area. Easy to armchair quarterback I know - but given what I witnessed and the eventual outcome it surprised me.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

If a developer builds with concrete framing rather than wood, the extra cost is considerable, can be roughly $100/square foot more. Who do you think winds up paying this difference? The buyer of course. Two different products for two different price points, but concrete construction will not create more affordable housing (not that many wood frames are affordable either).
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I see Ryan Smith at city Hall is blaming the spread of the fire to the other building on the wind that day. Says solace between building made no difference. I can't remember, was it windy that day?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

tsayta wrote:I see Ryan Smith at city Hall is blaming the spread of the fire to the other building on the wind that day. Says solace between building made no difference. I can't remember, was it windy that day?

Wind was dead calm that morning. The smoke billowed straight up.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Frisk wrote:
tsayta wrote:I see Ryan Smith at city Hall is blaming the spread of the fire to the other building on the wind that day. Says solace between building made no difference. I can't remember, was it windy that day?

Wind was dead calm that morning. The smoke billowed straight up.

That's what I thought
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Actually rewatching some of the video's it does look like there was a light breeze. Nothing out the ordinary for that time of day though.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Frisk wrote:Actually rewatching some of the video's it does look like there was a light breeze. Nothing out the ordinary for that time of day though.

Looking back through a number of the still shots posted to this thread, the wind looked very minimal and to my recollection of the time I spent on site, as you mentioned initially - the smoke column generally rising straight up.

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73447&start=15#p2208938

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73447&start=15#p2208952

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73447&start=30#p2208953

Ryan Smith has a very obvious reason to deflect the criticism/questions regarding setback variances approved through his department.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#206619

I would further add, that the headline here is somewhat misleading. Code compliance is not the question here - it's the applying for and granting of a variance issued by the planning department, of which Ryan is senior staff, reducing the setback between buildings that is in question.

If a commercial project maximizes its footprint, it can be built to the edge of the property lines, providing there are no setback requirements. Some setback requirements pertain to exposure to neighboring structures, and those projections must be separated by a fire resistance rated barrier and constructed accordingly. Why is this not required by separate structures on the same property?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

It wasn't windy that day.

Lol..c'mon Ryan! Why are you saying this?

Did anyone else notice it took the Fire Department over 30 minutes to remember they had a big shiny fire boat they could drive up the creek to aid in fighting the fire? A creek that was overflowing with water...

I would have thought the fire boat would have been the first vehicle on the scene.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”