Bargain Shop sells...

dle
Lord of the Board

Bargain Shop sells...

Post by dle »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#206331

Good news is: the Bargain Shop has been sold and will be turned into something other than a dead shell of a building (finally!)

Crappy news IMHO is: Kelowna is supposedly getting yet another highrise of 26 stories on the property. Will it be affordable housing? Probably not.

The great news is: At least it is away from the lake!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Bargain Shop sells...

Post by the truth »

sweet maybe they will put freedoms door there :up: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... very-house
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

when did we suddenly decide to allow 26 story buildings downtown?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

i get the feeling that sugarplum and some of the council would love to see st paul and bertram burn to the ground so it could be all 26 story buildings
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

voice of reason wrote:when did we suddenly decide to allow 26 story buildings downtown?

probably right after they approved 32 stories on the old willow site
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

they should build a 32 story willow inn .the destruction of the willow marks the beginning of the end for the working man in kelowna.we will never see day time strippers in this town again.there is something to be said about a $9.99 steak sandwich,a jug of beer and strippers at 12:30 on a week day.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

voice of reason wrote:they should build a 32 story willow inn .the destruction of the willow marks the beginning of the end for the working man in kelowna.we will never see day time strippers in this town again.there is something to be said about a $9.99 steak sandwich,a jug of beer and strippers at 12:30 on a week day.

Hell yeah. :130:
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

dle wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-206331-1-.htm#206331

Good news is: the Bargain Shop has been sold and will be turned into something other than a dead shell of a building (finally!)

Crappy news IMHO is: Kelowna is supposedly getting yet another highrise of 26 stories on the property. Will it be affordable housing? Probably not.

The great news is: At least it is away from the lake!

I'm curious why should a 26 story highrise with a 5 minute walk to the beach in one of the most desirable cities to holiday/live in, in Canada be affordable anyways? You want affordable housing? I agree there needs to be some, but how about in Rutland or Springvalley area, or in the foothills where housing is already a bit cheaper? I know downtowns are usually targeted for these things, but ours is prime real estate and I for one, would love to live cheap right by the beach, but that's not reality. Btw, I actually live 2 minutes from one of the best beaches, but it ain't cheap is all I'm saying.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

voice of reason wrote:they should build a 32 story willow inn .the destruction of the willow marks the beginning of the end for the working man in kelowna.we will never see day time strippers in this town again.there is something to be said about a $9.99 steak sandwich,a jug of beer and strippers at 12:30 on a week day.

We have working women too. I have had many interesting experiences at the Willow but times change. I am glad I got to experience a locally legendary place and look forward to what the future brings.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

By working man, do you mean someone with a low iq who objectifies women to use as their own personal self gratification device? Just asking?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

Bring on the highrises, I am all for it! Affordable housing isn't going to exist for a long time, it may not ever exist again..especially in Kelowna. If you cannot afford to live somewhere (Kelowna for example) you clearly don't belong, sounds harsh but it is true even if you have lived here when it was affordable. Times change..Bob Dylan said it the best "you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone for the times they are a-changin". Some people actually think the world owes them a favour, for example, someone who has rented in Kelowna for 20+ years suddenly can no longer afford to live here may automatically assume they are owed affordable housing because things have changed on them, sorry but thats not how life works. Let's just hope once development starts the owner hires local contractors and companies to build whatever will be built, more jobs is always good. Hilarious seeing all the old timers shocked at Kelowna's growth in the last 10-15 years, we live in a city surrounded by beauty large growth was to be expected because it sure as hell wasn't going to stay sleepy forever.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Hmmm wrote:

By working man, do you mean someone with a low iq who objectifies women to use as their own personal self gratification device? Just asking?

Two things.

1. IQ has nothing to do with anything.
2. It's entertainment and everyone's there on their own merit, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
s_man422

Post by s_man422 »

LTD wrote:
voice of reason wrote:when did we suddenly decide to allow 26 story buildings downtown?

probably right after they approved 32 stories on the old willow site

The 26 stories on the Bargain shop site was just an example of what a potential buyer of the property could do. AKA it was just marketing. The 32 story building has not been approved on the the old willow site, it is just a redesign proposed by the developer.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hmmm wrote:

Not everyone in there was watching the strippers, somevwent for the food and a drink, some went to network with other people.
In the days between major internet usage it was common. Nowadays people meet and make deals in places like Starbux.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 12th, 2017, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “Central Okanagan”