Chilliwack retires racist mascot

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Chilliwack retires racist mascot

Post by Rwede »

So a beloved character that is embraced as a leader is racist?

No wonder the aboriginals will never reconcile with the rest of the world.

You'd think that elevating and celebrating this mascot would be a positive, but some nutjob has to be "offended."
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Chief Wannawin may not be the most derogatory image, but after all that's happened, yes, First Nations don't appreciate white folk taking elements of First Nations culture, cartoon-izing them, and using them as icons for fun and profit. Yes, we tried to eradicate your culture a while back, now we'd like to use it to entertain our children. But as long as we insist it's not racist, it's all good.

It's clear from the comments in this thread that many of us have no problem with indigenous people as long as they keep their mouths shut and stay out of our way.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

JayByrd wrote: Yes, we tried to eradicate your culture a while back,

I'm confused, do you mean you were part of the eradication, everyone on the sports teams? *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
They say you can't believe everything they say.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2017, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

*removed*
Reason: response to off topic post
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JayByrd wrote:Chief Wannawin may not be the most derogatory image, but after all that's happened, yes, First Nations don't appreciate white folk taking elements of First Nations culture, cartoon-izing them, and using them as icons for fun and profit. Yes, we tried to eradicate your culture a while back, now we'd like to use it to entertain our children. But as long as we insist it's not racist, it's all good.

It's clear from the comments in this thread that many of us have no problem with indigenous people as long as they keep their mouths shut and stay out of our way.

Believe it or not, nobody owns any culture, whether it be Natives, Americans, Japanese, Chinese, French, German.

I'm failing to see how "cartoon-izing" someone is "offensive" or "racist". Go out and travel, every nation gets "cartoon-ized" whether it be American, German, Asian, whoever - and yet you don't hear them all boo-hooing about a non-issue.

There's a pub up in Rutland, great place. They've "cartoon-ized" a German woman for fun and profit. That's "offensive" and "racist" isn't it? Or is this just another one of those double standards against whitey?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

How incredibly racist and offensive!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

I saw a Kawasaki "ninja" motorcycle and a Suzuki Samara suv on that very same reservation.
Booth these names have a significant meaningful title to certain peoples. A very valued entitlement to special people among themselves.
Maybe they should remove these vehicles from their ownership, or is that different somehow???
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup :up:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

liisgo wrote:I saw a Kawasaki "ninja" motorcycle and a Suzuki Samara suv on that very same reservation.
Booth these names have a significant meaningful title to certain peoples. A very valued entitlement to special people among themselves.
Maybe they should remove these vehicles from their ownership, or is that different somehow???

*cough cough* double standards *cough cough*

Return to “B.C.”