A.T.V.'s

A potpourri of off-topics.
sherriff

A.T.V.'s

Post by sherriff »

Time to let quads back into the bush. Lot more humidity and moisture than when they were restricted. Many people have plans that involve their use and the risk from when they were banned has diminished.
Whyme2
Übergod

Re: A.T.V.'s

Post by Whyme2 »

sherriff wrote:Time to let quads back into the bush. Lot more humidity and moisture than when they were restricted. Many people have plans that involve their use and the risk from when they were banned has diminished.

Totally disagree, still far too dry out there. Let's give it another week minimum and see! :smt045
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Yes I think it'd be fine to allow them. I'm sure they probably will within the next couple days.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I think anything with a spark arrester should be good to go, dirtbikes with none should be banned!
Oh, and uninsured, un-registered dirt bikes should be patrolled and ticketed, far too many ripping down forest service roads like raped apes!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Ive never seen a raped Ape but it sounds pretty serious!
Sure do love Rutland!!

Post by 390625 »

We get a tiny bit of rain and people want back into the bush already with equipment, people like this are the reason for all the fires this years, stupidity and entitlement at its best!!
sherriff

Post by sherriff »

390625 wrote:We get a tiny bit of rain and people want back into the bush already with equipment, people like this are the reason for all the fires this years, stupidity and entitlement at its best!!

Origin of most fires actually, is unknown. Don't know of any proven to be quads. So many accusations before anybody knows!!!
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

number one cause of forest fires newly weds in sleeping bags
rdionne

Post by rdionne »

The point is why rush anything that could be a risk with the fire season we had. Many of the fires this year are human caused, the one in Princeton was from logging equipment.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

390625 wrote:We get a tiny bit of rain and people want back into the bush already with equipment, people like this are the reason for all the fires this years, stupidity and entitlement at its best!!

Good lord.
- Rain hasn't been huge but it's not insignificant and there's more in the forecast.
- ATVs rarely start fires. There's a reason why firebans happen well before off roading bans and why off roading bans are fairly rare.
- Temps are getting lower every day. Even if a fire was to start tomorrow it wouldn't go far.

Any other year and there would not be an off roading ban with the current conditions. "Stupidity and entitlement" is a case of kettle calling the pot black here.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It isn't July anymore. There isn't weeks of hot weather in the forecast.
It's the middle of September. Rain has a significantly stronger effect this time of year with the cooler temperatures and later afternoon recovery times. There isn't a single day in Kelowna's 7 day forecast over 20 degrees.
Without the critical moisture levels & higher temperatures the fire risk drops substantially.
The risk of small surface fires like the one in Naramata yesterday will probably remain for a while like it does every fall since the flash fuels like grass are all dead this time of year but the risk of anything higher than a rank 2 or 3 is basically nonexistent.
Time4t

Post by Time4t »

The problem with the ATV restrictions at present is the inherently discriminatory regulation itself. Its ok for quad tours and guides, etc, but not the regular taxpayer.

All motor vehicles can cause a fire if the conditions permit and the triangle of ignition is favorable. Some vehicles are worse than others for causing problems. Current conditions are dropping off now.

And for the record, my ATV is my hiking boots and I travel many, many miles in them.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

No it isn't the reason. Some stupid smokers are, and failed attempt at back burns and lightning.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Ok the one thing I don't understand is if quads and side by sides are not allowed in the bush why are vehicle's at the moment. I think a ban should be a ban.

The exhaust on either one of my side by sides is a lot less likely to cause a fire than my truck.

The exhaust on most vehicles is less then a foot off the ground. It is tucked under the vehicle and is exposed to all tall grass.

The exhaust on a quad or side by side is usually over 2' off the ground and has a spark arrester. They are also plated just like a vehicle. My side by sides or quads are a lot less likely to cause a fire then a lot of vehicles I personally see in the bush.

Now im not saying we should be allowed back in yet by any means. But I do think a ban should be a ban not just off road vehicles like dirt bikes,quads and side by sides.

The ban should ban every one unless your personal home is in the bush. No vehicles what so ever .

The only exemptions would be emergency personnel only.

Return to “Grab Bag”