Marijuana Gro-Op Next door neighbour De-value of my property

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
YellowBird

Marijuana Gro-Op Next door neighbour De-value of my property

Post by YellowBird »

My next door neighbour I understand is a Licensed Gro-Op and quite honestly is probably the best neighbour one
could wish for. We have never spoken in the 3 years they have been here, we don't hear from them so fine. But, that was before they erected 2 huge Greenhouses with 2 huge (jet like fans) pointing right at us. I would like to just go up to them and say." We are not worried what business you are in everybody has to make a living but please, please attend to your venting system so that we can again sit out on our patio."
I don't want to make trouble is there any advice.
Further, I have been told by people this could devalue our property.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Marijuana Gro-Op Next door neighbour De-value of my prop

Post by TylerM4 »

It's just smell, it won't devalue your property unless you're in the process of trying to sell.

If he's a good neighbor, talk to him about it. If that doesn't work, call bylaw to see what they say. I'm sure they have some sort of a process for noxious odors.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Is this then classed as a farm operation? If so, farms are allowed to have some odor associated with them. This is part of the problem when you have farm operations next to residential zoning. Be happy it isn't a pig farm.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Is this a warning of things to come?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Do as TylerM4 says and talk to them. They will likely want to be good neighbours if they have been so far.
You and 71 others Like this post
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Smurf wrote:Is this a warning of things to come?

Are you somehow implying that the smell from a maximum of 4 plants will be similar to the smell from "2 huge greenhouses"?

4 plants won't smell any worse than a chicken coop or a poorly maintained compost bin.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Sep 13th, 2017, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

TylerM4 wrote:It's just smell, it won't devalue your property unless you're in the process of trying to sell.

If he's a good neighbor, talk to him about it. If that doesn't work, call bylaw to see what they say. I'm sure they have some sort of a process for noxious odors.

Bylaw couldn't do anything about the stench coming from grow ops in the same building as the bowling alley in blue heights.
That poor business reeked in there.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bman wrote:Bylaw couldn't do anything about the stench coming from grow ops in the same building as the bowling alley in blue heights.
That poor business reeked in there.

I'm no bylaw expert, but there's a big different there. That location isn't zoned as residential.

Return to “Social Concerns”