Sorry if ever seen jaded, hard, or upset on these forums

slimebucket

Sorry if ever seen jaded, hard, or upset on these forums

Post by slimebucket »

If i seem hard, callus, mean, jaded, or *bleep* off, I apologize.

I grew up in Vernon, and I used to walk everywhere. I used to be involved. I used to go to POLSON PARK all the time.

Now, I refuse to go to polson park as I was mugged at 1pm RIGHT IN THE OPEN in broad daylight there. Every park has had needles found. Last year my son missed some school, first because needles found in the yard, then one day there was tons of blood outside the front of the school as someone was stabbed there the night before.

I used to work nights. First delivery driving, then taxi driving. Since 2010, this town has gotten so scary at night I was forced to change to only ever working days. Every day I work I am reminded how the town I used to love is now scary, full of strange people with mental problems that NO ONE is doing anything about, not any churches, or the town, or the peoples families of those on the streets,

Im reminded about how Vancouver shut down all its methadone clinics and now all the people that used them now live here. I'm reminded about just how little Vernon seems to care about its citizens. Everything they do is to make money. Funastic deals with NO local vendors, but gets everyone to come in from out of town. All events here cater more to the out of town tourists then the citizens that run the town.

Rent prices are crazy high, considering there is no decent industries here. there is no oil rig type jobs, or anything. The only good paying jobs are those selling things to tourists, serving tourists, or something to do with tourists. If you make a company around here to serve VERNONITES, it tanks!

Also, I need to say a word about peoples driving. I honestly have done custormer driving in Vancouver, and I get more fustrated driving in Vernon. J Walks, Elderly pedestrians, people not blinkering, people not letting people in, people driving under the speed limit, people blocking intersections when there is grid lock traffic, man this town has the worst driving ever.

I Do not know what can be done. I really hope this town gets better as this is where I grew up, but lately I just feel that people like me are not welcome here. Vernon only wants rich people above the age of 55 here (every place for rent is prejudice it seems to people under 55) I have been looking for a place to rent for over 5 years. Its unbelievable.

So if on the forums I get a little heated, or riled up, I apologize. I am on a tipping point where I love this place because I grew up here and want to stay, but I am afraid to leave my house, and have been living like a hermit for the last few years, trying to ignore this town. I feel I cannot leave my house without having someone yell at me, go crazy on me, cut me off, get angry with me because I am following road rules (i honestly had someone freak out on me for not running a red light) so I am seriously considering moving away.

Something about Vernon makes people incredibly selfish. Its brutal. You try to ignore it and not let their selfishness bother you, but you cant. I can't at least. Every time I work, fill up my gas, get groceries, get water, go for a walk, go to a park, EVERY TIME I DEAL WITH SOMEONE with a problem with me, or someone breaking road rules, people being rude to me when I have done nothing wrong. Like when walking down the road people dont even make attempt to get out of your way, or to say excuse me, or ask please, they just stare at you like your bothering them and they want you to move, yet they wont even ask, they just think looking at you *bleep* off will work.

It honestly seems like everyone in vernon is trying to troll others. Like they have nothing to do, so they take enjoyment out of trolling people. Picking on people, bothering people.

There is no organization at all in this town from the high ups. Events here are a joke, layout is wonky, bus system sucks, no one does anything about homeless problems, rental crisis, traffic is so crazy now, construction everywhere, no planning, no routes, worst snow removal I have ever seen in my life, we have the most churches per population (look it up in the Guinness book of world records) yet none of the churches even TRY to help the homeless.

I have a frustration with this town I cannot even describe. It's like watching a loved one become a crack addict and there is NOTHING you can do about it.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Sorry if ever seen jaded, hard, or upset on these forums

Post by Loki2u »

No need to apologize....those are your experiences and you are welcome to them.

It's all about perspective though. I too was born and raised in Vernon and while things have changed over the years, I can tell you my experiences are definitely NOT the same as yours. Your statements about organizations not helping the homeless as an example are just not true. You are painting the town with a very broad brush.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not, but being in a social work related field....I too deal with these people you describe every day and looking for the good in them goes a long way. I'm sad to hear you no longer help the homeless, but perhaps if you were helping without expectations....you may still find yourself willing to be supportive.

Vernon is no different from any other town-if you're looking for the bad....you will find it. If you are looking for the good, you will find that too.

Every community is what you make of it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

slimebucket wrote:If i seem hard, callus, mean, jaded, or *bleep* off, I apologize.

I grew up in Vernon, and I used to walk everywhere. I used to be involved. I used to go to POLSON PARK all the time.

Now, I refuse to go to polson park as I was mugged at 1pm RIGHT IN THE OPEN in broad daylight there. Every park has had needles found. Last year my son missed some school, first because needles found in the yard, then one day there was tons of blood outside the front of the school as someone was stabbed there the night before.

I used to work nights. First delivery driving, then taxi driving. Since 2010, this town has gotten so scary at night I was forced to change to only ever working days. Every day I work I am reminded how the town I used to love is now scary, full of strange people with mental problems that NO ONE is doing anything about, not any churches, or the town, or the peoples families of those on the streets,

Im reminded about how Vancouver shut down all its methadone clinics and now all the people that used them now live here. I'm reminded about just how little Vernon seems to care about its citizens. Everything they do is to make money. Funastic deals with NO local vendors, but gets everyone to come in from out of town. All events here cater more to the out of town tourists then the citizens that run the town.

Rent prices are crazy high, considering there is no decent industries here. there is no oil rig type jobs, or anything. The only good paying jobs are those selling things to tourists, serving tourists, or something to do with tourists. If you make a company around here to serve VERNONITES, it tanks!

Also, I need to say a word about peoples driving. I honestly have done custormer driving in Vancouver, and I get more fustrated driving in Vernon. J Walks, Elderly pedestrians, people not blinkering, people not letting people in, people driving under the speed limit, people blocking intersections when there is grid lock traffic, man this town has the worst driving ever.

I Do not know what can be done. I really hope this town gets better as this is where I grew up, but lately I just feel that people like me are not welcome here. Vernon only wants rich people above the age of 55 here (every place for rent is prejudice it seems to people under 55) I have been looking for a place to rent for over 5 years. Its unbelievable.

So if on the forums I get a little heated, or riled up, I apologize. I am on a tipping point where I love this place because I grew up here and want to stay, but I am afraid to leave my house, and have been living like a hermit for the last few years, trying to ignore this town. I feel I cannot leave my house without having someone yell at me, go crazy on me, cut me off, get angry with me because I am following road rules (i honestly had someone freak out on me for not running a red light) so I am seriously considering moving away.

Something about Vernon makes people incredibly selfish. Its brutal. You try to ignore it and not let their selfishness bother you, but you cant. I can't at least. Every time I work, fill up my gas, get groceries, get water, go for a walk, go to a park, EVERY TIME I DEAL WITH SOMEONE with a problem with me, or someone breaking road rules, people being rude to me when I have done nothing wrong. Like when walking down the road people dont even make attempt to get out of your way, or to say excuse me, or ask please, they just stare at you like your bothering them and they want you to move, yet they wont even ask, they just think looking at you *bleep* off will work.

It honestly seems like everyone in vernon is trying to troll others. Like they have nothing to do, so they take enjoyment out of trolling people. Picking on people, bothering people.

There is no organization at all in this town from the high ups. Events here are a joke, layout is wonky, bus system sucks, no one does anything about homeless problems, rental crisis, traffic is so crazy now, construction everywhere, no planning, no routes, worst snow removal I have ever seen in my life, we have the most churches per population (look it up in the Guinness book of world records) yet none of the churches even TRY to help the homeless.

I have a frustration with this town I cannot even describe. It's like watching a loved one become a crack addict and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Thanks for sharing :)

I know how you feel, more so from having lived most of my life in Kelowna, it truely is worse than Vernon imp.

I have made attempts to live in a number of different communities within BC and Alberta - it is the same everywhere.

I believe it is our system that is the problem- the root of it anyway.

People are just so caught up in themselves and our values are falling.

When those who do come together to change important situations within communities they are often net with strong and long term opposition. Its a struggle to change things - unless you are our corrupt government.

I say its going to hell in a handbasket - the whole world.

I agree with Loki however, life is up to you - your perception of others and your attitude.

The point of power is with you.

All the best to you slimebucket :)
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

although I think I understand some of your anger I don't agree with a lot of your points;; if the medium wage is any where near as bad as you like to think then whos buying or has bought the last 3000 house,s in Vernon at between 500,000 and 1,000000.00
plus dollars in the last 10 years ? gosh go to turtle mountain, middleton mountain, the foothills etc etc every house there is 650K +++ everyone there has a new wake boat and jacked up new 4x4 or fancy SUV etc travel trailers snowmobiles etc
so to me in my opinion theres lots money in Vernon
ccb1970

Post by ccb1970 »

I just want to start off by saying that you have every right to voice your opinion and should NOT feel that you need to apologize. There are many of us who feel the same way!

I moved here in 1975 and lived here until 2001. I loved growing up here and enjoyed doing a lot of things that disappeared many years ago. Our heavenly roller rink was the place to be on weekends and it was always a good time with friends. As I grew into my teen years, The Skyway Drive-In was where I spent many weekends and especially car load night! Smitty's was the hang out to go for coffee and chat with friends! The rec center was here back then too and was the hot spot for swimming. I spent every day in the summer at Polson Park when there was a pool. Many people have no idea that a pool existed there at one time. So many good things and they are all non existant. I only have the memories in my mind to make me smile.

I moved to Alberta in 2001 and swore I would never come back here, little did I know that 14 years later, I would be eating those words! [icon_lol2.gif] Now that I have been back for about 3 years, I want to run screaming for the hills as this town has become a true *bleep*!! There are many reasons and now I will be moving away for good this time.

The people here are rude, ignorant and just plain disgusting!! The homeless population and drug addicts have ruined that beautiful park that I used to love! I have been there once in the past three years and never went back.

All the seniors in this town are some of the slowest and worst drivers I have ever encountered! You are lucky if they drive over 20mph, and god forbid they use their signal lights!(they are not the only ones) They truly drive as though there is no one else on the road but them! Pisses me off! :swear:

Lets not forget all these *bleep* waffles who drive trucks! They seem to think they own the *bleep* road! They drive in the middle not giving a rats *bleep* about the other person coming towards them in the other lane! Another issue, why in the hell can't anybody turn a friggin corner properly? I have encountered a few who have almost plowed right into the front of my car because they can't drive!

The younger generation are nothing but a bunch of self entitled *bleep* who thinks that everyone should give them whatever they want! I've had so many ask for a cigarette and when you say NO, they swear at you and give you dirty looks! I just laugh at them. I lived in a huge city with a million plus people and encountered this daily so their idiotic behavior is nothing new to me.

The rents and vacancy rate disgusts me! Rents are higher here than in Alberta, where there is a lot more better paying jobs. This town is over run with greedy people who all immigrated here! (Especially the east indians) They have taken over most of the hotels and they are the dirtiest and most over priced places I have ever had to see. You would be safer sleeping on the ground over having to sleep in one of their beds!!

The roads are worse than in most third world countries! I don't think the town has done any work on them over the past 20 years! And last of all, stop calling this place a CITY!! It is a far cry from a city. Sure the prices and such are that of a city, but it's attitude is of small town closed mindedness!!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

ccb1970 wrote:I just want to start off by saying that you have every right to voice your opinion and should NOT feel that you need to apologize. There are many of us who feel the same way!

I moved here in 1975 and lived here until 2001. I loved growing up here and enjoyed doing a lot of things that disappeared many years ago. Our heavenly roller rink was the place to be on weekends and it was always a good time with friends. As I grew into my teen years, The Skyway Drive-In was where I spent many weekends and especially car load night! Smitty's was the hang out to go for coffee and chat with friends! The rec center was here back then too and was the hot spot for swimming. I spent every day in the summer at Polson Park when there was a pool. Many people have no idea that a pool existed there at one time. So many good things and they are all non existant. I only have the memories in my mind to make me smile.

I moved to Alberta in 2001 and swore I would never come back here, little did I know that 14 years later, I would be eating those words! [icon_lol2.gif] Now that I have been back for about 3 years, I want to run screaming for the hills as this town has become a true *bleep*!! There are many reasons and now I will be moving away for good this time.

The people here are rude, ignorant and just plain disgusting!! The homeless population and drug addicts have ruined that beautiful park that I used to love! I have been there once in the past three years and never went back.

All the seniors in this town are some of the slowest and worst drivers I have ever encountered! You are lucky if they drive over 20mph, and god forbid they use their signal lights!(they are not the only ones) They truly drive as though there is no one else on the road but them! Pisses me off! :swear:

Lets not forget all these *bleep* waffles who drive trucks! They seem to think they own the *bleep* road! They drive in the middle not giving a rats *bleep* about the other person coming towards them in the other lane! Another issue, why in the hell can't anybody turn a friggin corner properly? I have encountered a few who have almost plowed right into the front of my car because they can't drive!

The younger generation are nothing but a bunch of self entitled *bleep* who thinks that everyone should give them whatever they want! I've had so many ask for a cigarette and when you say NO, they swear at you and give you dirty looks! I just laugh at them. I lived in a huge city with a million plus people and encountered this daily so their idiotic behavior is nothing new to me.

The rents and vacancy rate disgusts me! Rents are higher here than in Alberta, where there is a lot more better paying jobs. This town is over run with greedy people who all immigrated here! (Especially the east indians) They have taken over most of the hotels and they are the dirtiest and most over priced places I have ever had to see. You would be safer sleeping on the ground over having to sleep in one of their beds!!

The roads are worse than in most third world countries! I don't think the town has done any work on them over the past 20 years! And last of all, stop calling this place a CITY!! It is a far cry from a city. Sure the prices and such are that of a city, but it's attitude is of small town closed mindedness!!

What 3rd world countries are you comparing the roads too?

Perhaps its time you move.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

You guys are always welcome to voice your opinion, I believe that is why Castanet gave us these forums.

I have been to cities all over Canada, and they all have their own problems with the druggies and homeless.

Plus as it turns out not all druggies are bad people.
I was in Edmonton the other day and met a normal, friendly, every day person that told me he was from Nova Scotia and can't go home until he quits the poisons.
I was absolutely surprised when he told me he is on drugs.

Return to “North Okanagan”