Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Home of the traffic rant.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Post by lesliepaul »

Not sure if many out there have noticed their vehicles tires are getting considerably less mileage. I have had the same type of vehicle (3) for close to 17 years. In the late nineties until about 2010 I would be getting 90,000 km (with some summer life left) on a set of AT's on my GMC 1/2 ton. Bought the same tires ($$$$) again in 2010 and 30,000 km later.........close to the wear bars. Complained to manufacturer and they gave me 2 replacements. Now that set has 40,000 km and again they are "shot" with excessive wear........these tires have no mileage warranty. I will tell you I rotate religiously and wear is even on all 4 tires on all of our vehicles over many, many years.........not much more I can do on my end to increase mileage.

Now the interesting part.........I have talked to several tire manufacturers (reps) about tire construction over the last 7 years and how mileage appears to be 1/2 of what it used to be and of course they denied that and all of them explained their wonderful mileage guarantees (most tires). Recently I spoke to a tire store and guess what........he confirmed what I have felt is happening (in the last 7-8 years)..........shorter life because of the type of rubber compound they are using. He is the person that gets the complaints from his customers and has to deal with the issue. Your tire warranty is "pro-rated" and the manufacturer replaces the tire(s) and you pay a "smaller" price. That "smaller" price still equates to HUGE profit to the tire manufacturers. As he mentioned........"good luck coming close to the mileage you got years ago........there's not enough profit in it". The mileage warranty looks great in adds and tire brochures.

Going back to the mid 1980's I was told that the regular tires used on 90% of passenger cars would cost the consumer on average about $60 to $80 each..........tire cost at that time to GM, Ford, Chrysler etc..........$6.00 to $7.00 per tire. Even at that price the tire companies made money. Of course when you buy millions of tires you get a pretty good price.

AND the other thing confirmed was that All Season tires back in the 80's and 90's performed MUCH better in winter conditions than the All Seasons of today (last 15 to 20 years). Big White was not a problem for us back then with All Seasons. The option today is dedicated winter tires for obvious reasons. I am now waiting for the tire companies to tell me I will need a fall tire that gets better traction on "leaves".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Tire Manufacturers Reducing Tire Life

Post by Bsuds »

I would have to agree with your assessment. We have a 2 year old car with 25K on it and the tires are definitely showing signs of wear. Our last car had the same tires and they lasted almost 100k's. These wont do that kind of mileage.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

buy a lighter vehicle and you will get more life out of them otherwise youre stuck with fast wearing soft compound tires
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LTD wrote:buy a lighter vehicle and you will get more life out of them otherwise youre stuck with fast wearing soft compound tires

Our new one is lighter than our old one so not much help there if the Mfr's are using a poorer quality rubber compound.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I purchased the Nokian WRGs, and they were completely warn down 20,000 before their guaranteed rating of 100,000 km. I got a rebate on my new tires, so thought I'd get the same tires. The exact same tires were now rated for 80,000 km. Then these tires wore out early, so I got a rebate on my pair of tires, only this time they were rated for 60,000 km!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

This appears to be another one of those "big business" trends that gives you less for more.............only problem here is we are not talking about 454 grams of bacon that now is 375 grams for a higher price. We are talking about having to spend upwards of a $600 to $1000 literally YEARS earlier on ONE vehicle.

I really do have to thank the tire shop owner who gave me his take on what is happening and his honesty. Looking forward to hearing more personal "rip off" tire stories..........screwed again!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Isn't this the "way of the world" these days? Years ago you could buy a TV and it would last many years and even if it gave problems you could often get a cheap fix to keep it going. Now you buy a modern TV and its life expectancy is much less and probably more costly to repair than replace.
I did notice that with my standard Good Year summer truck tires the tread depth from new did not look as deep as i would have thought for a new tire. I am sure my winters have a deeper tread but never actually measured either.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Can't say that I've had the same experiences with my tires, granted, I trade in my cars at around 75000kms. But at that point, my tires, are still in pretty good shape.

My new weekend ride has a set of Pirelli P Zero summers on them, see how they hold out.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Sep 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I trade my cars in at 400,000 km, so I go through at least 4 sets of tires on each vehicle. I'm pretty sure they'll be giving me negative money when I trade in my dodge caravan. I might just push it to 500,000km if it doesn't rust out first. Who cares about rust, bad ball joints, warn out u-joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. All you need is a good set of tires to get your around. Michelin told me so, and they wouldn't lie.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Rubber compound is different.
Plus surprisingly companies like to make money for their shareholders ...
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Glacier wrote:I trade my cars in at 400,000 km, so I go through at least 4 sets of tires on each vehicle. I'm pretty sure they'll be giving me negative money when I trade in my dodge caravan. I might just push it to 500,000km if it doesn't rust out first. Who cares about rust, bad ball joints, warn out u-joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. All you need is a good set of tires to get your around. Michelin told me so, and they wouldn't lie.

I drive a Toyota, that's when we're just hitting our stride. :D I'm very happy with my BF Goodrich KO2's. I drive on all sorts of terrain from billy goat trails in the mountains to deep snow up in the mountains. I've towed lots of people out but have never been stuck myself. *knocks on wood*
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

lesliepaul wrote:Not sure if many out there have noticed their vehicles tires are getting considerably less mileage. I have had the same type of vehicle (3) for close to 17 years. In the late nineties until about 2010 I would be getting 90,000 km (with some summer life left) on a set of AT's on my GMC 1/2 ton. Bought the same tires ($$$$) again in 2010 and 30,000 km later.........close to the wear bars. Complained to manufacturer and they gave me 2 replacements. Now that set has 40,000 km and again they are "shot" with excessive wear........these tires have no mileage warranty. I will tell you I rotate religiously and wear is even on all 4 tires on all of our vehicles over many, many years.........not much more I can do on my end to increase mileage.

Now the interesting part.........I have talked to several tire manufacturers (reps) about tire construction over the last 7 years and how mileage appears to be 1/2 of what it used to be and of course they denied that and all of them explained their wonderful mileage guarantees (most tires). Recently I spoke to a tire store and guess what........he confirmed what I have felt is happening (in the last 7-8 years)..........shorter life because of the type of rubber compound they are using. He is the person that gets the complaints from his customers and has to deal with the issue. Your tire warranty is "pro-rated" and the manufacturer replaces the tire(s) and you pay a "smaller" price. That "smaller" price still equates to HUGE profit to the tire manufacturers. As he mentioned........"good luck coming close to the mileage you got years ago........there's not enough profit in it". The mileage warranty looks great in adds and tire brochures.

Going back to the mid 1980's I was told that the regular tires used on 90% of passenger cars would cost the consumer on average about $60 to $80 each..........tire cost at that time to GM, Ford, Chrysler etc..........$6.00 to $7.00 per tire. Even at that price the tire companies made money. Of course when you buy millions of tires you get a pretty good price.

AND the other thing confirmed was that All Season tires back in the 80's and 90's performed MUCH better in winter conditions than the All Seasons of today (last 15 to 20 years). Big White was not a problem for us back then with All Seasons. The option today is dedicated winter tires for obvious reasons. I am now waiting for the tire companies to tell me I will need a fall tire that gets better traction on "leaves".

It's called planned obsolescence. http://www.economist.com/node/13354332
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Sounds like you guys aren't familiar with Tire Treadwear grades and how to read them. Every tire is marked with a grade that will help you understand their lifespan. Certainly something you should take into consideration when purchasing tires.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_T ... ty_Grading
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Over my long driving career I have seen evidence of blown tires, in shreds and tangles on the roadsides. These are presumably from those big rigs, 18 wheelers and such.

Anyone out there with knowledge to explain how they can blow tires to smithereens on straight smooth stretches. I've always wondered.

As to tires wearing out quicker... in my reading came across Wade Davis's book "One River" wherein the rubber plantations in S. America became diseased and now rubber production is mainly in the Phillipines. The shortage of true, natural rubber has lead to the use of other stop-gap fillers, mostly plastics, in our tires. Thus saving the "real" stuff for jet tires where the plastics would simply melt from the high heat and friction on tarmac.

Apparently there is just no substitute for natural rubber.
:up:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:Anyone out there with knowledge to explain how they can blow tires to smithereens on straight smooth stretches. I've always wondered.

If a tire is under inflated it will overheat and self destruct.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”