Take back the foreshore

Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Re: Take back the foreshore

Post by Straight Shooter »

Remember back years ago about the Sutherland Bay fiasco with boats being moored in the Bay? What was thought to be Federal waters issue all of a sudden became a City of Kelowna and a West Kelowna issue. It wasn't that long until by-law orders were written up and enforced and the boats were no longer allowed. It's always been known that by-law infractions are complaint driven and that's when by-law officers are usually called into enforce these laws. The ball is in the City of Kelowna court to make sure no illegal docks are being built without the proper permits handed out by the BC Government. The protest walk along the beaches this past weekend made it perfectly clear that the public wants the City of Kelowna to take action against these violators!
ranger49

Post by ranger49 »

I have some rural lake front property in the kootenays, it's boat access only and our neighbor tried to build without a permit. The government blew it up with dynamite before it was finished. Didn't even last one summer. Another had his unpermitted dock removed.

I'm no expert on foreshore law but I have read up on it, as well as looked at property markings on frontcounterBC.

Seems like it's an interpretation problem around the foreshore verbiage and what happens when erosion destroys the foreshore and the lake intrudes on private property. With the government/lawyers/builders siding with the property owners.

My layman interpretation of the law carries no weight, but I do believe those people were most likely trespassing at some point on their walk. The video clearly shows them stepping on and over a broken dock that, looks to be damaged and hazardous. There was more than enough space for them to walk around (within code) but they chose to walk across the damaged/dangerous property that didn't belong to them. Poor form.

If you're going to make a statement like this, it's best to be certain that you're being lawful and respectful.

The people that are making this fight should at the very least have someone with some authority or experience with foreshore law on their side. But they don't or at least no one vocal. Any official word has quickly dismissed it(from what i've seen), and this isn't because of some conspiracy by the rich to steal the beach away.

If your dead set on a beach walk I suggest you start at Cader and walk north to city park, It's more than 2km round trip. It would be nice to be able to have an unbroken beach for a longer stretch no doubt, unfortunately mother nature didn't make it so.

ranger
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

there should be public paths what ever on every lake on crown land . if home owners want a dock they can build it their back yard to look at :130:
spooker

Post by spooker »

Heard an interesting story about a woman breaking her wrist during the walk when they had to go over some boulders placed by a property owner ... they went to the RCMP to lodge a complaint who said it was a bylaw issue ... went to bylaw who then directed them back to the RCMP with the recommendation of classifying it as "mischief" ... no confirmation could be found through the local news channels but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

just kinda curious how you or anyone else knows they were placed there by the property owner
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:just kinda curious how you or anyone else knows they were placed there by the property owner

From what I gather, they were in a line at the edge of the property and went from the backyard down to the foreshore ... not what one would consider a "natural" formation ... if I get more information or confirmation I'll post it ...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

spooker wrote:Heard an interesting story about a woman breaking her wrist during the walk when they had to go over some boulders placed by a property owner ... they went to the RCMP to lodge a complaint who said it was a bylaw issue ... went to bylaw who then directed them back to the RCMP with the recommendation of classifying it as "mischief" ... no confirmation could be found through the local news channels but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...

I wonder what he lawyer said and how it will end in court.

I would suspect if a land owner has placed a obstacle on public property they may be liable civilly.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Ken7 wrote:
spooker wrote:Heard an interesting story about a woman breaking her wrist during the walk when they had to go over some boulders placed by a property owner ... they went to the RCMP to lodge a complaint who said it was a bylaw issue ... went to bylaw who then directed them back to the RCMP with the recommendation of classifying it as "mischief" ... no confirmation could be found through the local news channels but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...

I wonder what he lawyer said and how it will end in court.

I would suspect if a land owner has placed a obstacle on public property they may be liable civilly.

Proving it would likely not be a trivial matter.
You and 71 others Like this post
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

wanderer wrote:Message for lakeshore owners
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0286-001572

it is about time the free ride was over :up:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, its about time :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I wonder how many will comply or have already started without proper authorization.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bsuds wrote:I wonder how many will comply or have already started without proper authorization.

imo many will not comply and many will start without proper authorization
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207785

First, there are sprinkler systems that are used (around ponds for example) to keep geese off.
Second, is there some reason why someone can't walk around this particular dock?

file:///C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/private_moorage_general_permission%20(1).pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Fancy wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-207785-1-.htm#207785

First, there are sprinkler systems that are used (around ponds for example) to keep geese off.
Second, is there some reason why someone can't walk around this particular dock?

file:///C:/Users/Greg/Downloads/private_moorage_general_permission%20(1).pdf

Fancy, if someone was to walk around the dock they would most likely get very wet.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Central Okanagan”