Kelowna yacht Club leaking money

vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna yacht Club leaking money

Post by vegas1500 »

holdin wrote:Got to be the ugliest building in Kelowna.

Either I'm crazy or you are cause I think they did an excellent job with it. From the street nothing special but the design on the lake side, where it counts, it looks great! :130:
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lightspeed wrote:

How so?

Members (the public) paid good money expecting a service. Inept management failed to discharge their duties. Now those same members are on the hook for $$$. Not cool.

How big is your boat??

I find it interesting and I would have thought that their accountant would have brought it to the executives attention, as we say money coming in exceeds monies going out. It's quite simple, just like our current Federal Government, if you have a beer budget stop purchasing champagne.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next town hall meeting there... there will be some people with tight pockets quite upset. Further wouldn't want to be on the executive.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

2 natural disasters in one season will do that.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

So what happened with any previous profit ?
I dontvthink They want a public restaurant, they want one for the members and guests.
PRETTY sure the other restaurant brings in significant rent monies..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So what happened with any previous profit ?
I dontvthink They want a public restaurant, they want one for the members and guests.
PRETTY sure the other restaurant brings in significant rent monies..

I suspect any rent income goes to the loan payment for new building.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
okss

Post by okss »

The last several times I have taken guests to the Yacht Club we experienced poor service, mediocre food, and long waits even though there were very few other members there. I started taking guests downstairs to the Cactus Club or to other places in the vicinity. This is not a rare occurrence. If the club wants to keep making money from the lounge and food venues they have to compete with other options. They also need to look after the place. I was with friends walking into the restaurant below and the Club has a bunch of storage and unused equipment piled up in the most visible spot directly overhead? Come on? Look after the place and provide good service and you will have loyal patrons again.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

sounds like a case for hotel hell . time call gordon ramsey :biggrin:
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Several reasons have been cited, including a new building which is more costly to operate and maintain than anticipated.

"Significant capital has been expended in correcting design flaws, defective materials and a very dysfunctional kitchen," members were told.

So have they considered filing a claim against the architect who's responsibility it is to ensure no design flaws, defective materials or dysfunctional kitchen.

By the way, the architect is the same one as for the Innovation Centre that magically grew from 6 floors to 7 after the building permit was issued.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Time for them to buddy up with Tourism Kelowna.
To could be up and running in a few months. ..? Would be a sweet deal for them at this point.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Time for them to buddy up with Tourism Kelowna.
To could be up and running in a few months. ..? Would be a sweet deal for them at this point.

And imagine that ...... same architect!
justice4U

Post by justice4U »

holdin wrote:Got to be the ugliest building in Kelowna.

Bang on. It is an absolutely travesty that the City allowed such a God-awful looking yacht club to be built in such a prominent spot.

I know a member who, when asked the obvious question of how that could happen, just shrugged his shoulders and said "it was the cheapest option". No kidding. Pity.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's a boring building but not really hideous.

They'd make a ton more money if they opened the restaurant to the public. There's generally a line out the door at Cactus Club. And the KYC really does make good food, a family member used to work in the kitchen there. I think most wealthy boaters in Kelowna are either using concierge services or own waterfront property. But there are still plenty who prefer moorage at KYC. Give members a priority area with dedicated servers so they still get something for their fee while still supplementing their income and paying for the big move.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^I was thinking the same thing. If they really wanted to keep out the unwashed riff raff, just have an excellent menu with excellent prices.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

And this quote from the article just about sums up the quality okanagan design and build we are getting from all these, often, "award winning" projects.

"Significant capital has been expended in correcting design flaws, defective materials and a very dysfunctional kitchen," members were told.
Way too many so called "experts" in this town designing and building poor quality stuff.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

dodgerdodge wrote:And this quote from the article just about sums up the quality okanagan design and build we are getting from all these, often, "award winning" projects.

Way too many so called "experts" in this town designing and building poor quality stuff.

Well that what's happens when you let designers design kitchens instead of people who work in kitchens.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Central Okanagan”