Bargain Shop sells...

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Bargain Shop sells...

Post by TreeGuy »

CBC radio is about to interview someone from the Mission Group about the building.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Ken7 wrote:
JLives wrote:We have working women too. I have had many interesting experiences at the Willow but times change. I am glad I got to experience a locally legendary place and look forward to what the future brings.

Support single Mommies as no one else will!

Not sure about the "Charm" of downtown....oh well.

It USED to be very charming and so "beachy" and kick-back....I've been here since the mid 70's and I have to say I really honestly miss "Kelowna". I don't think I'm "old fogey" at all - it just had a vibe I really loved for many years - I guess right up til the riots and that seems to be when things turned a bad corner. It might sound strange to some, but not all "progress" is progress, and not all "getting with the times" turns out to be better. Some things are just very special and it's important to be careful to keep it that way or it just disappears and becomes something else entirely. Other times, things really need to upgrade and move forward. To me it's kind of rat-racy now, and the road infrastructure is a beyond a nightmare. IMHO it's just part of the big "zoom" we all strive to get away from. On that note, I believe we need a bypass desperately. It WON'T stop people from coming to Kelowna in my view - it will encourage it because driving will be so easy to get where you want to go. Check out the fantastic roadway system around Kamloops. They have it going on with their infrastructure and we would do well to emulate it. Anyways, that's a different bone to pick!
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

dle wrote:
To me it's kind of rat-racy now, and the road infrastructure is a beyond a nightmare. IMHO it's just part of the big "zoom" we all strive to get away from. On that note, I believe we need a bypass desperately. It WON'T stop people from coming to Kelowna in my view - it will encourage it because driving will be so easy to get where you want to go. Check out the fantastic roadway system around Kamloops. They have it going on with their infrastructure and we would do well to emulate it. Anyways, that's a different bone to pick!

Your post touches on both a cause and a symptom. We had several generations of civic leadership who, despite Kelowna's growth, dug in their heels on infrastructure to meet that growth. I know a highway bypass is a Provincial matter, but hopefully you can see what I mean. City Hall, and their constituents, wanted to keep Kelowna as the nice, beachside town they loved, but people kept coming. Now, instead of a city of 60,000 with a major highway running right down the middle of it, it's a town of 100,000+ with a highway through the middle of it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JayByrd wrote:
dle wrote:
To me it's kind of rat-racy now, and the road infrastructure is a beyond a nightmare. IMHO it's just part of the big "zoom" we all strive to get away from. On that note, I believe we need a bypass desperately. It WON'T stop people from coming to Kelowna in my view - it will encourage it because driving will be so easy to get where you want to go. Check out the fantastic roadway system around Kamloops. They have it going on with their infrastructure and we would do well to emulate it. Anyways, that's a different bone to pick!

Your post touches on both a cause and a symptom. We had several generations of civic leadership who, despite Kelowna's growth, dug in their heels on infrastructure to meet that growth. I know a highway bypass is a Provincial matter, but hopefully you can see what I mean. City Hall, and their constituents, wanted to keep Kelowna as the nice, beachside town they loved, but people kept coming. Now, instead of a city of 60,000 with a major highway running right down the middle of it, it's a town of 100,000+ with a highway through the middle of it.

Yes, I do see exactly what you mean and agree. It should have been done a very long time ago. It was just bla-bla-bl back then. Now's it's going to cost an arm and a leg more and be logistically trickier than even 15 years ago. That doesn't mean we don't still need it and to procrastinate any longer will be a reason people stop coming to Kelowna and cause some people to leave Kelowna, and then what do we do with all the development when it's sitting empty? The powers that be have set in motion a plan for even more big expansion for Kelowna's population and they better put their money where their mouths are now so to speak and support it. That will require a steady and persistent push with the Province. This should be a MAJOR concern and priority for the City and they should be all over the Province to get on it - you know how slowly these things go - all the studies, and then studies of studies, and the other stall tactics that will go on. A second bridge crossing will take 20 years to materialize - how long do you think a bypass will take unless we push and push hard and stubbornly?
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

They should have a cap of no more than 6 stories from between Water and Ellis. And beyond that a cap of no more than 10 stories... Can you imagine how many residences will fit in that block if they also make it 20-something stories? I believe Ella has just over 100 units, and that is a much smaller lot. The intersection of Bernard and Richter will surely become a congested intersection. So sad...
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Scrobins94 wrote:They should have a cap of no more than 6 stories from between Water and Ellis. And beyond that a cap of no more than 10 stories.

You're late with that by about 20 years.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

In this thread: "How dare people build condos in our city, development should be limited! This city has grown too much!".
Also in this thread: "This city is too expensive, there should be affordable developments!"
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

TylerM4 wrote:
Or if you're working a min wage job someone on Castanet will support your right to own a nice home in one of the most desirable locations in Canada. Castanet is just a reflection of the diversity of our society. Very few topics out there that everyone will agree on.

who said anything about minimum wage.if you make less than 20 bucks an hour you are poor in this town
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Seems like a great spot for a Safe injection site, think of the square footage!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

voice of reason wrote:who said anything about minimum wage.if you make less than 20 bucks an hour you are poor in this town

Absolute BS.

Perhaps you need to spend some time outside of the Okanagan. If you did you'd realize that Kelowna isn't any more expensive than any other large population center in Western Canada.

In fact, check out this article: https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... w-stagnant
Median household income in Kelowna is listed at under $69k 2 people working full time at $19/hr represents an annual household income of approx $79k making them significantly wealthier than 1/2 of people living in Kelowna. At $17/hr you'd be right at the middle point and far form being considered "Poor in this town".
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hassel99 wrote:Seems like a great spot for a Safe injection site, think of the square footage!

And it's nowhere near schools, so add a transition element to it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

My sources heard they purchased it for near 8.5 :up:
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

TylerM4 wrote:Absolute BS.

Perhaps you need to spend some time outside of the Okanagan. If you did you'd realize that Kelowna isn't any more expensive than any other large population center in Western Canada.

In fact, check out this article: https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... w-stagnant
Median household income in Kelowna is listed at under $69k 2 people working full time at $19/hr represents an annual household income of approx $79k making them significantly wealthier than 1/2 of people living in Kelowna. At $17/hr you'd be right at the middle point and far form being considered "Poor in this town".

thAt is assuming there is 2 of you and no kids
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

voice of reason wrote:thAt is assuming there is 2 of you and no kids

Household income does assume there may be more than 1 earning that's why it's called household income not personal income. Kids are often in a household yes. The point is that it's the preferred overall metric that's applied across communities to measure income. Kids, # of people in a household earning income, cars, etc are all personal choices for how you choose to spend/earn your money. It clearly shows that $19/hr is not "poor in Kelowna" no matter how you want to twist it.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

TylerM4 wrote:
voice of reason wrote:thAt is assuming there is 2 of you and no kids

Household income does assume there is more than 1 earning that's why it's called household income not personal income. Kids are often in a household yes. The point is that it's the preferred overall metric that's applied across communities to measure income. It clearly shows that $19/hr is not "poor in Kelowna" no matter how you want to twist it.

I think when basic rents are around $1600+ for a 1 bedroom apartment in Kelowna, and closer to $2,000+ for a 2 bedroom, that $19/hr is not going to go far on a 40 hour week after taxes for 1 person. If you ARE the only person living in your household it really doesn't matter what "household income assumes". The fact is, your household income of $19/hr could have you needing the food bank in this City.

Return to “Central Okanagan”